Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2012, 08:05 PM   #871
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Just got back from it. Pretty good overall but nope, still doesn't beat X-Men 2 as my all-time favorite superhero movie! Glad I took the time to rent Thor this week (the only "set-up" movie I still hadn't seen) because while it's a mediocre movie, it's definitely required viewing for this one. I'd say probably the only one that isn't is The Incredible Hulk.
Old May 12 2012, 09:30 PM   #872
Warped9
Admiral

I also just watched Thor for the first time. I liked it although I don't think it's awesome. It certainly feels like a comic book come to life, but in a good way. And, yes, it does give you some decent backstory to the character.

I did like Thor's character arc from selfish puts to worthy hero.

Last edited by Warped9; May 12 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 09:38 PM   #873
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I also just watched Thor for the first time. I liked it although I don't think it's awesome. It certainly feels like a comic book come to life, but in a good way. And, yes, it does give you some decent backstory to the character.

I did like Thor's character arc from selfish puts to worthy hero.
The reaction shots of Foster and Co. on Earth during the Dethbridge scene were insultingly stupid.

What were they supposed to be looking at, considering that the Bifrost wasn't aimed at them?

And yet all of a sudden there's this giant vortex of doom we can see, which defeats their "discovery" since people should see that damn thing whenever Odin has The Warriors Three go for a pizza run. This seriously pisses me off, as every problem I had up to this point was more a matter of taste rather than substance. This was a matter of Michael Bay's nephew ghost writing.

"Durr. Annd when Hammerman and Goat-Boy fight in the LAzor derr should be an EXPROSION on Earf!"

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 09:58 PM   #874
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I'd say probably the only one that isn't is The Incredible Hulk.
Yeah, how do people feel about TIH now? It does definitely feel like the odd one out of the 5 preceding movies. And not just because of the actor change
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 10:26 PM   #875
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think what the Avengers-era movies have shown is that they should just concentrate on making solid films with sensible interpretations that don't go too far off the reservation.

I think too often they try to unnecessarily come up with thing to make the characters work on the big screen. Thing is, audiences get comic book conventions and won't go run screaming from helicarriers, Asgard and aliens running through a portal. They don't necessarily need a Superman with illegitimate children, Hulks with daddy issues, whatever the hell Catwoman was, organic web shooters and so on.

The Dark Knight is the #3 movie ever so it's not like DC can't get on track.

EDIT: Crap, I posted this in the wrong thread! Sorry...

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; May 12 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 10:40 PM   #876
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
1.) What was the purpose of the Chitauri? Once they got into a fight with any professional or contractor army, their days were numbered. If they were to frighten the civilian populace, the Other's plan would have backfired. Killing civilians doesn't make them scared; it makes them mad and mobilizes them to fight against the intruders.
Well, we see at the end that they're commanded by Thanos. Generally, Thanos doesn't care who gets killed, just so long as a lot of people die. He's in love with Mistress Death and getting a fuckton of people killed is the equivalent of sending her a box of flowers.

He's the sort of guy who will indiscriminately exterminate half of all life in the universe just to impress a girl.

The most obvious thing is that he was just going through the motions so that he could get the Cosmic Cube from Loki, and possibly get a shot at the Infinity Gauntlet (if he knows that the Asgardians have it).
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 10:43 PM   #877
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Yeah, how do people feel about TIH now? It does definitely feel like the odd one out of the 5 preceding movies. And not just because of the actor change
It's certainly feels the least essential, though it's superior as a film to Iron Man 2, one of the films that feels more connected.

The Marvel Studios films would fall into tiers for me:

Great: Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers

Very Good: Thor

Good: The Incredible Hulk

Mediocre-at-best: Iron Man 2

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 10:44 PM   #878
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

3-D doesn't add a thing. Mind you, it doesn't subtract anything either.
I think it does simply in terms of the colour em.. palate? (is that the word I'm looking for?) I keep taking my glasses off and the film is much brighter and the costumes have much more POP without that filter between you and it - the actual 3D was fine however.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 11:40 PM   #879
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Just saw it a second time and I loved it almost as much as the first.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 12:18 AM   #880
Harvey
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
I haven't seen it in a while, but my initial reaction was positive, and I'd probably still feel the same way. I suspect that it doesn't have the same sense of humor that most of the other Marvel movies have -- I recall it being pretty serious with occasional comedic moments -- which might make it the odd one out of the lot (although I still haven't seen Thor).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 12:30 AM   #881
Beagleman
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
I haven't seen it in a while, but my initial reaction was positive, and I'd probably still feel the same way. I suspect that it doesn't have the same sense of humor that most of the other Marvel movies have -- I recall it being pretty serious with occasional comedic moments -- which might make it the odd one out of the lot (although I still haven't seen Thor).
You're right, it is the most serious of the series which IMO is only fitting, considering that Banner's story is kinda the most tragic of all of them. In that way it is the odd one out, but I think it fits his character and I like it a lot.
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 12:44 AM   #882
Wereghost
Commodore

The Incredible Hulk is not a bad movie at all, but I felt that it lacked chemistry. Always thought that a quick going-over by a certain Joss Whedon could have done wonders for the script.
Old May 13 2012, 12:59 AM   #883
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
3-D doesn't add a thing. Mind you, it doesn't subtract anything either.
I think it does simply in terms of the colour em.. palate? (is that the word I'm looking for?) I keep taking my glasses off and the film is much brighter and the costumes have much more POP without that filter between you and it - the actual 3D was fine however.
Actually, my problem with the 3-D glasses is that I always get the ones that are half clouded over, so it's never the film itself that bothers me. I'm always taking off and wiping the stupid glasses. On the relative few instances when I get clear glasses, 3-D is great. It's just this time it couldn't make me love the film more than I already did and wasn't distorted enough without the glasses to make me love it less. That's what I mean.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2012, 03:14 AM   #884
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I saw it again this evening with my buddy in 3D. Third time I've seen the movie inside of a week and likely the last time I'll see it in theaters. I don't think the 3D added much but as others has said it didn't take much away either.

My problem with 3D glasses is that I wear eyeglasses anyway so my regular glasses' frames get pressed in more by the 3D glasses causing some discomfort and even a touch of pain in my temples just from the pressure of two layers of rims.

The movie remains awesome, BTW. I look forward to a BluRay of it.
Old May 13 2012, 04:41 AM   #885
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Not sure why I didn't notice these things before(too much awesome going on at one time?) but here are some great little inter-continuity things in the film I noticed tonight.

San Paulo
When Coulson is bringing Natasha in or shortly after, the actual sequence isn't important, you see a monitor with BW & HE in action. Atop the monitor it reads Mission: San Paulo.
When BW and Loki are talking about red in her ledger Loki throws a list of events at her and mentions...yep, San Paulo. Which no doubt he got out of Clint but still. Like Budapest, what went down in San Paulo??

Shawarma Palace exterior
Sure Tony mentions it 3 times in 15 seconds near the end and that he saw it but I thought it was an offscreen moment. After Tony plays "Jonah" with one of the flying space slugs he crashes to the ground. Now my eyes went to the Farmers Insurance sign on the building each time, it's bigger and higher in the shot. However, just below and to the left is the banner signage for Shawarma Palace.

IM & Cap teamwork moment
After Loki amplified their misgivings on the hellicarrier you kinda wondered about these guys. Then as the battle ramps up IM takes a big step and tells Cap to "Call It". Near the end of the film in an improved moment to get as many Chitauri as possible IM fires his repulsers at Caps shield creating a broader beam to hit the most Chitauri with. My earlier viewings I just thought IM blasted them independently.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote