TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 9 2012, 11:54 PM   #661
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

The Hunger Games - I had to see what all the fuss was about. Not bad so far

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 11:59 PM   #662
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

I'm on a bit of a Babylon Five reading spree at the moment and I'm reading the first B5 omnibus containing the first three novels (I'm on the second one Accusations), the third novel (Out of the Darkness) in the excellent Legions of fire trilogy by Peter David and finally the second book in the psi corps trilogy, Bester Ascendent.

On top of that I'm partway through the Vanguard series on my kindle and enjoying it greatly of course.

Not to mention the other books that I'm dipping in and out of such as Harry Turtledove's In the presence of mine enemies and Terry Pratchett's wonderful Mort.

And then there the various non-fiction that I'm going through as well.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 09:24 AM   #663
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

It looks like Chester Himes's "Blind Man with a Pistol" will be added to my mutiple books to read with:

"Legacy of the Daleks"-John Peel
"Bone" Fae Ng
Old May 10 2012, 12:40 PM   #664
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Just finished John Verdon's Think of a Number (1st in his series). Moving on to book 2 - shut your eyes tight
Old May 10 2012, 02:22 PM   #665
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Just read "Kowalski's in Love," a Sigma Force short story by James Rollins.

So that's why Kowalski is afraid of baboons!
Old May 10 2012, 02:41 PM   #666
zarkon
Captain

Read the three Johannes Cabal books this week. Pretty good, the stories got better book by book as well.

--edit

Cabal mention is post 666

meant to be
Old May 11 2012, 01:22 AM   #667
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
You won't be disappointed! That book is awesome.
Kertrats47 wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
You won't be disappointed! That book is awesome.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I finished it recently, it really was amazing.
Agreed, 3/4s through and enjoying it immensely!
DS9 CapCon #105: NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PANIC!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 04:05 AM   #668
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I just finished Star Trek: That Which Divides. The first half was alright, but the second half just seemed to plod along to me. I feel like the novel could have been half as long as it was. It's the first novel by Dayton Ward I've read that I haven't really enjoyed that much, but I still look forward to his future work.

I also read the Mass Effect comic Redemption a few days ago.

I'm about to start Supernatural: Night Terror.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 05:57 AM   #669
RonG
Captain

I just got books 1 and 3 of the Brother's Keeper TOS trilogy by Michael Jan Friedman

Anyone read these?
Old May 11 2012, 10:46 AM   #670
Lonemagpie
Writer

Still plugging through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I can't help feeling that if Larsson had been alive when it was with the publisher, they'd have said "right, let's tighten this up, it needs to lose about 200 pages," but that since he was already dead, they just went "we can't mess with a dead guy's stuff, we'll have to put it out as-is..."

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 04:53 PM   #671
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
bok2384 wrote: View Post
Finished rereading Greater than the Sum by Christopher L. Bennett today as part of my TNG Relaunch+ reading for the 25th Anniversary. Now, I'm taking a detour to the 23rd century and reading Star Trek Log One by Alan Dean Foster.
I have been doing the same thing, in regards to reading for the 25th anniversary, except I started with the novelization of "Encounter at Farpoint." I've been reading them all in chronological order, about halfway through "Contamination." I'm gonna read them all in order, up to the latest relaunch book. I'm including all the DS9/VOY books in this too. Having a blast.
It is a great thing to do, I must admit. I was tempted to go through the whole of TNG, but after finally reading the A Time to... novels last year, it just seemed like a natural continuation. Plus, throwing in Titan and the Voyager relaunch(es) makes it even more rewarding.

It's funny how many details I've forgotten, which makes the newer novels more enjoyable. You can't remember every detail from a book you read 4+ years ago.

Anyway, I've decided to split up my Star Trek Logs reading, so I've started on Gods of Night by David Mack. About 100 pages through and top stuff so far.
Old May 11 2012, 04:57 PM   #672
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

RonG wrote: View Post
I just got books 1 and 3 of the Brother's Keeper TOS trilogy by Michael Jan Friedman

Anyone read these?
I absolutely loved those novels, definitely have to reread them again someday. Then again, I'm a big fan of The Original Series novels, so they're (mostly) all great to me.

However, if you enjoy novels that delve into the history of characters, in this case, Kirk in his younger days and his relationship with Mitchell, then you'll be fine.
Old May 12 2012, 03:25 AM   #673
indianatrekker26
Captain

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
Finished rereading Greater than the Sum by Christopher L. Bennett today as part of my TNG Relaunch+ reading for the 25th Anniversary. Now, I'm taking a detour to the 23rd century and reading Star Trek Log One by Alan Dean Foster.
I have been doing the same thing, in regards to reading for the 25th anniversary, except I started with the novelization of "Encounter at Farpoint." I've been reading them all in chronological order, about halfway through "Contamination." I'm gonna read them all in order, up to the latest relaunch book. I'm including all the DS9/VOY books in this too. Having a blast.
It is a great thing to do, I must admit. I was tempted to go through the whole of TNG, but after finally reading the A Time to... novels last year, it just seemed like a natural continuation. Plus, throwing in Titan and the Voyager relaunch(es) makes it even more rewarding.

It's funny how many details I've forgotten, which makes the newer novels more enjoyable. You can't remember every detail from a book you read 4+ years ago.

Anyway, I've decided to split up my Star Trek Logs reading, so I've started on Gods of Night by David Mack. About 100 pages through and top stuff so far.
I'm about halfway through "Reunion" by Michael Jan Friedman. After finishing this one, I have thought about skipping ahead to the "A Time to,,," series, and just start reading all the books from that point on, in chronological order.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 05:31 AM   #674
RonG
Captain

Anyone read these?
I absolutely loved those novels, definitely have to reread them again someday. Then again, I'm a big fan of The Original Series novels, so they're (mostly) all great to me.

However, if you enjoy novels that delve into the history of characters, in this case, Kirk in his younger days and his relationship with Mitchell, then you'll be fine.
Thanks

I liked how the first book started with a re-telling of th end of WNMHGB
Old May 12 2012, 04:11 PM   #675
bok2384
Commander

Anyone read these?

Thanks

I liked how the first book started with a re-telling of th end of WNMHGB
That was pretty neat. Have you got book two of the trilogy as well? There is a thread running through all three novels in the flashbacks as well as the post-WNMHGB sections. Still, it's all recapped. The Constitution one is quite good though as it sees Kirk in his first real command experience.