Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2012, 12:43 AM   #841
throwback
Captain

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

I think it's clear that they all died - the soldiers and the Leviathans. In my last viewing, after seeing one of the Leviathans landing belly-up on a building, I ask myself, how will the government get that thing down?

I betcha the US government is going to have a field day with the knowledge they will acquire from this wreckage. They will new weapons, and they will have knowledge of advanced bio-mechanics. I wonder if we will see any of this addressed in the later films.

I think the Chitauri were some of the worst shooters in any sci-fi/fantasy. A Chitauri could enter an office, fire three shoots, and miss a frightened office drone. Even I, who wasn't trained in the military, know that you don't shoot at a moving target, you shoot at where you anticipate them to be. I saw this in the movie when Hawkeye anticipated where a Chariot would be, and nailed it with an explosive arrow. As the Chitauri were such poor soldiers, and they behaved like that animal Thor mentioned that is repulsive and tramples everything in its path, I have some questions:

1.) What was the purpose of the Chitauri? Once they got into a fight with any professional or contractor army, their days were numbered. If they were to frighten the civilian populace, the Other's plan would have backfired. Killing civilians doesn't make them scared; it makes them mad and mobilizes them to fight against the intruders.
2.) Why was SHIELD's 'overlords' so bent on nuking New York City? The state government of New York was already sending in National Guard units to fight the intruders, and, eventually, the United States government would commit forces to the battle. (This would imply the battle had been raging for an hour, at least.) The 'overlords' reaction seemed odd to me, especially when it was clear that the intruders were contained to a 3-block radius around the portal. It becomes even more interesting when it is revealed at the end that a nuke could destroy the command center, and that the portal could be shut down by a specter being jammed into the portal generator.

I was amused by Senator Boynton demanding that the Avengers be held accountable for the damage done to New York. When I saw that, my thoughts went to Ghostbusters II. In that film, it was revealed that the Ghostbusters were sued for damages done to New York City, and had to disband.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 12:46 AM   #842
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Eduardo wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
The only issue I have with this film is the same issue I had with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Why would an advanced civilization develop a robotic army that when the command center is destroyed automatically shut down? Our own civilization is moving incrementally toward building an autonomous drone fleet that can operate independently of a command center, and will continue to obey its directive when the command center is either incapacitated or destroyed.
Well, if it is Thanos, and he is like the comics, it kind of makes sense. For all we know the Chitauri are like zombified slaves.

That and if Loki tries to betray him by closing the portal and keeping the army & Earth for himself, the army turns worthless due to the loss of the connection.
It would've been kinda cool if after the portal closes, all the Chitauri turn around and look at the re-grouped Avengers with a kind of "Oh, shi..." expression. Then fade to black and cut to post-battle.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 12:49 AM   #843
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The army certainly had a biological component to them. We see their "faces" sometimes when they growl/snarl at the camera and they were clearly biological typical alien-invader faces.

IIRC, the diner in the movie was the "Shawarma Palace"
Indeed. There was a shawarma sign on the far wall.

Seriously? Basically 90% give this an A- or better? While there were a few seriously laugh out loud moments like Hulk smashing Thor, as a movie it was like a B or B- (my vote) at best. True herd mentality on this one.
It was a fun, entertaining, tent-pole movie that's been built up for the last four years featuring popular comic book characters. This movie is something no one would have thought was possible to see happen just 10 years ago when "Spider-Man" basically revived the superhero movie trend.

The movie was filled with good, fun, action (that was comprehensible), fun characters that were well played and Scarlet Johansson's ass in tight leather.

Yes, people over overwhelmingly loved it because it lived up to (or surpassed) everything we've been building up to since Iron Man came out and we knew they were establishing a Marvel Cinematic Universe for an Avengers movie.
Old May 12 2012, 12:56 AM   #844
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Othello wrote: View Post
Seriously? Basically 90% give this an A- or better? While there were a few seriously laugh out loud moments like Hulk smashing Thor, as a movie it was like a B or B- (my vote) at best. True herd mentality on this one.
Well, I didn't know what anyone else voted before I voted, so I don't know how it's a herd mentality. Maybe a telepathic herd, which would be the coolest herd ever.
Old May 12 2012, 01:14 AM   #845
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Well, I didn't know what anyone else voted before I voted, so I don't know how it's a herd mentality. Maybe a telepathic herd, which would be the coolest herd ever.
Yeah. "Herd mentality."

I went and saw this movie after only seeing some reviews (both her and professional) and came out of this movie having loved it. It was just an awesome time in the theater.
Old May 12 2012, 01:15 AM   #846
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Exactly. I had no idea what anyone else voted before registering my vote. But Othello should feel free to insult the people who disagree with him. Free speech, and all that.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 12 2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: I mis-attributed quote. Sorry Alidar Jarok!
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 02:13 AM   #847
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Or maybe we all feel it's that good for reasons you just don't see or agree to. And that's fine, just saying a sideways insult isn't going to add anything to the discussion.

Are all the movies with 90% or better on RT herd mentality?
Toy Story 3
The Dark Knight
Star Trek('09)

Just some recent examples.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 02:13 AM   #848
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Big concept art archive:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=59414
Old May 12 2012, 02:20 AM   #849
Warped9
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Awesome!
Old May 12 2012, 02:22 AM   #850
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Wow. Some great concept art in there! I like the one of Thor on the Chrysler Building's spire.

If there's one design complaint I have it's that I think the Helicarrier's bridge was a bit overdesigned and elaborate. (And wildly "overstaffed") The Star Trekian/Defiant-like captain's command center also was just odd to me.
Old May 12 2012, 02:23 AM   #851
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Exactly. I had no idea what anyone else voted before registering my vote. But Alidar Jarok should feel free to insult the people who disagree with him. Free speech, and all that.
I got dragged out by friends after deciding Avengers wasn't on my must-see list. I enjoyed it a helluva lot more than any film I've seen recently. I voted here without first checking poll results and gave it an A+.

We've now entered the phase where the movie is so successful that wanna-be hipsters get to make condescending remarks about those of us who are having a good time. [shrugs] Oh well, everyone needs a hobby, I guess. Cheers, Othello! Know that even though we're having a blast talking about the film and seeing it over and over, you're a far, far better man than the rest of us uneducated bumpkins swilling the moonshine equivalent of entertainment.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Are all the movies with 90% or better on RT herd mentality?
Toy Story 3
The Dark Knight
Star Trek('09)
Well, Star Trek was. [ducks]
Old May 12 2012, 02:28 AM   #852
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

14 years from now:

"Avengers only did $3B in the box office because of lonely comic-book fanboys who went to see the movie 10 times just to look at Scarlet Johansson's ass!"

That, or -you know- it's a really good fucking movie.
Old May 12 2012, 02:58 AM   #853
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
2.) Why was SHIELD's 'overlords' so bent on nuking New York City? The state government of New York was already sending in National Guard units to fight the intruders, and, eventually, the United States government would commit forces to the battle. (This would imply the battle had been raging for an hour, at least.) The 'overlords' reaction seemed odd to me, especially when it was clear that the intruders were contained to a 3-block radius around the portal. It becomes even more interesting when it is revealed at the end that a nuke could destroy the command center, and that the portal could be shut down by a specter being jammed into the portal generator.

With an open portal there was no way to know just how many enemy could come pouring through before Thor, Ironman and the Hulk were overwhelmed. To be far even if the National Guard was mobilized before the breech it wouldn't be able to handle a proper earth army with presumably a lower level of technology should it appear in New York. They would have neither the heavy equipment in place nor the ammo for an extended fight.

The enemy was not contained, they had poor generalship and fought Captain America's battle as they went after the Avengers as if they were the only resistance Earth could put up. Yet it was a small point for me of how ground combat Guardsmen could get into the fight in numbers before air units turned up to help Ironman.
Old May 12 2012, 03:03 AM   #854
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't think anyone is claiming this movie is perfect (most have already acknowledged that the plot isn't the deepest or most complex), but that doesn't mean it still can't be fun and entertaining as hell to watch.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 04:04 AM   #855
Mike Farley
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

A little less than two years pass (on Earth) between the events in "Thor" and the events in "The Avengers." (This according to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Timeline.) Thor destroys the Bifrost in May 2010, The Avengers takes place in February of 2012.
The Asgardian incident happened "last year" according to Nick Fury's dialogue in the movie. And it's pretty obviously not winter in New York City during that final battle. I's say that timeline needs some adjusting.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote