Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 8 2012, 02:57 AM   #1831
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

On my search for slimes I found a zombie spawner in a previously unexplored section of the caves, I threw together a quick and dirty drop trap with a mob elevator, I spent about 90 minutes there getting up to level 50, I threw some additional bookshelves around my enchantment table, I made a new diamond pickaxe, I spent what seemed like 10 minutes clicking on the damn thing to find a level 50 enchant... and I got Efficiency III.

Add me to the list of people that hates the randomness of the enchantment system. I at least deserved some Unbreaking on the damn thing, all it is now is a glorified obsidian miner.
Old May 8 2012, 01:36 PM   #1832
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, I pretty much only enchant swords, because at least that's only good for killing monsters, and whatever I get will make it either last longer or make it more powerful against certain kinds of monsters. Guess enchanting bows would work, too. But enchanting tools is such a crapshoot.

I wonder if there's a mod that lets you choose enchantments...
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 09:10 PM   #1833
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

That would be nice.

But yeah, I've had pretty crappy luck with enchantments as well. I think I managed to get a flaming sword maybe once.

Efficiency and Durability on tools don't exactly rock my world, but its nice to have you diamond tools last longer. I'd kill for a pick with Fortune on it though.

I really wish the game gave you the ability to decipher the runes for a particular enchantment once you've gotten it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 9 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 02:03 AM   #1834
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Back before Scavenger saved experience as well as items, I spent hours building up enough XP to enchant a helmet to get Water Breathing. I finally got Water Breathing I and Projectile Protection II. I would like a way to decipher runes too.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:35 AM   #1835
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I really wish the game gave you the ability to decipher the runes for a particular enchantment once you've gotten it.

You actually can, if you modify the rune font to english:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...ish-font-file/
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 02:25 PM   #1836
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

But it doesn't tell you what the enchantment does, so it's not very useful.
My blog
Old May 9 2012, 04:57 PM   #1837
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, I pretty much only enchant swords, because at least that's only good for killing monsters, and whatever I get will make it either last longer or make it more powerful against certain kinds of monsters. Guess enchanting bows would work, too. But enchanting tools is such a crapshoot.
Up until now I've been doing low-level enchants on weapons and armour. Getting a level 1 enchant on a bow will always give you Power I which means you can kill most mobs in two shots instead of three, so that's always good to have.

I want high-level enchants now because I'm hankering to go after the enderdragon and figure I should be as prepared as possible. Since Jeb has seemingly forgotten about removing the limitation on only having three strongholds per world, I used MCEdit to place one in my world so that I can finally access an End portal. I also used the Biome Painter tool to fix all my biomes, which had been bugging me.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Efficiency and Durability on tools don't exactly rock my world, but its nice to have you diamond tools last longer. I'd kill for a pick with Fortune on it though.
Fortune would be good, as would Silk Touch. It would be fun to be able to place grass in the Nether, and they're bringing back the ability to pick up ice blocks, so I can put an ice-rink in my town.

The reason why the Efficiency enchant annoyed me is because it's largely useless on a diamond pick. Diamond picks mine most blocks quickly anyway, its only use is to mine obsidian which is something I rarely do. Besides, judging by the graphs, at level 50 the probability of me getting Efficiency III is tiny compared to Efficiency IV, so it really was the crapiest enchant I could get.
Old May 9 2012, 06:49 PM   #1838
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

But it doesn't tell you what the enchantment does, so it's not very useful.

True. I guess you just have to have fun going with something that sounds cool, hoping to get something good out of it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 05:52 PM   #1839
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

According to Notch, Minecraft on the Xbox 360 sold enough in its first hour on sale to make it profitable. That's just... wow. I mean, they've had a studio working on the conversion for a year.

Also, the new snapshot has the option to create worlds with super-large biomes. I've been waiting for that since biomes were added to the game, it always disappointed me that in the middle of a desert you could still see two or three other biomes off in the distance.
Old May 10 2012, 07:22 PM   #1840
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I'm one of the rare people who's never played any other version but bought the 360 version after playing the demo. Four hours later (it's freaking 2am at this point), I have the start of a giant mansion that's basically built over the initial miner's house you start with.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the more advanced stuff but I'm having a ball treating it as a virtual Lego set. I know the 360 version is a year behind the PC version but it works well enough, especially since it managed to suck up 4 hours of my life on the first night I owned it.
Old May 10 2012, 07:58 PM   #1841
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Wow - you actually start with a house in the XBox version? That's no fun! Where are the jitters and paranoia of setting up your first quickie sandstone blocks late at night while trying not to attract attention to yourself from some wayward zombies or spiders?
Old May 10 2012, 08:16 PM   #1842
Sheep
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Wow - you actually start with a house in the XBox version? That's no fun! Where are the jitters and paranoia of setting up your first quickie sandstone blocks late at night while trying not to attract attention to yourself from some wayward zombies or spiders?
It's a pile of wooden blocks vaguely making up four walls with no roof rather than a full house. The Xbox version starts with a tutorial that turns off time for awhile so you can get your bearings, create some tools and get set to finish it off pretty quickly.

I jumped 10 feet when I ran into my first skeleton.
Old May 10 2012, 09:16 PM   #1843
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Sheep wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It's a pile of wooden blocks vaguely making up four walls with no roof rather than a full house. The Xbox version starts with a tutorial that turns off time for awhile so you can get your bearings, create some tools and get set to finish it off pretty quickly.

I love how the console version of Minecraft has "training wheels."

(No offense, Sheep!)
My blog
Old May 10 2012, 09:49 PM   #1844
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Heres the update vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Z6c6vExLtTk#!

Love the new cocoa bean pods. (Yaay, cookies for everybody!)

Large Biomes is an okay feature. But lord, does that mean even BIGGER oceans??

But I'm all for the XBox version, even though I'm strictly a pc gamer. Its just a pity that XBoxers can't customize their textures.

Sheep wrote: View Post

Yep. Thats how it starts. Next you'll want to 'pretty up' your house. Then you'll start to get bored, and want to add more features. Build a bed to make nights pass faster, then go mining to build more efficient tools and better weapons. Then you'll start to wonder whats just beyond that hill over there. Then it'll be time to start farming to keep your health up. Next thing you know, you're got yourself a mansion, an airship, or a whole danged city!

Welcome to our world.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 10 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 09:52 PM   #1845
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I love how the console version of Minecraft has "training wheels."

(No offense, Sheep!)
Actually the "training wheels" was one of the reasons I decided to buy the game--specifically the easier crafting where the ingredients are laid out for you for each item you can craft. Call me a simpleton but the last thing I want to do when gaming is break out my laptop to look up how to craft something important like a fence to keep spiders out. Yeah, there's some reward in figuring it out yourself but I'm too old and feeble and don't have time for that. I'd rather spend my time focusing on my blinged-out mansion.