Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2012, 07:57 PM   #916
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

3 pictures from Revolution pilot
Old May 9 2012, 10:38 PM   #917
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Here's a review of the "best" pilot scripts with some additional details.

What good does it do to tell us Beautiful People is great, when it's almost certainly dead at this point?

Advertisers push for "family friendly" shows. They're not being moralistic; it's strictly business:
...sponsors whose ads air during family-friendly entertainment, the ANA says...see a 30% increase in brand awareness and an 11% gain in purchase intent.
And since they hold the checkbook, advertisers tend to get what they want. But it could be self-defeating if "family friendly" = boring and gutless, a la Terra Nova, and viewers bail in droves. If Revolution ends up with that tone, we'll have another one-season wonder on our hands.

And what does this do to ABC's whole strategy? Soaps are nothing without raunchiness and sex!

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; May 9 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 11:11 PM   #918
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Harvey wrote: View Post
stj was right about one thing. This is getting tiresome. Time to get back to the regularly scheduled thread, I think.
I'll go along with that.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Yep, I just gave yall a bunch of stuff to talk about (is it really a good idea to put pilots online for us to vote on?)
Yeah, it seems like a good idea to me. Lots of people are watching online now. They could also put the pilots up on On Demand. The shoutbox comments will be mind-numbing, but it will give their interns something to do.

Pirates are the new zombies!
This could be a good thing. Or historical dramas in general. Maybe that Revolutionary War idea will get another shot.
Old May 10 2012, 02:06 AM   #919
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

FOX picks up the Kevin Bacon serial killer pilot, as expected.

And renews Touch - not so expected (but not a total surprise either).

Speaking of FOX, I stumbled across something amusing from last year's pilot pickups:

And then [FOX] ordered a second series from Abrams, Alcatraz. There had been concern that the procedural element in it would be overshadowed by a mythology that would only get more dense over time and would put the show on track for Fringe’s 1.5-2 demo rating range. But I hear the network’s brass concerns were eased after a very good meeting with the producers yesterday that helped clinch the pickup.
So Abrams upped the boring procedural and downplayed the (possibly) interesting mythology to avoid the terrible, terrible prospect that the show would end up like Fringe. But Fringe has been renewed, and Alcatraz is toast. That's what ya get for listening to the suits.
Old May 10 2012, 04:16 AM   #920
xortex
Commodore

As is with the case with Abrams, he doesn't have a damn clue what the answer to the conundrum premise of the show is yet, only that it is a rip off of Serling and King and the like. Didn't someone write a short story called 'The machine stops'?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 04:20 AM   #921
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

So far the only interesting drama series picked up for the fall that I'm interested in is the Kevin Bacon series--the creator gave us the stronger seasons of TVD so we'll see. And I'll probably give NBC's The New NOrmal a chance--it sounds like it has some promise.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 04:24 AM   #922
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
As is with the case with Abrams, he doesn't have a damn clue what the answer to the conundrum premise of the show is
Abrams is so overrated--Undercovers was a lame spy show, LOST promised answers and turned into a hot mess in the final season, Fringe had bland characters/horrible science/a weak mythology, Star Trek was a loud screeching blur of whirling VFX and weak writing, Alcatraz was another weak mystery-driven event series, Star Trek II sounds ghastly unoriginal if the main villain is who they claim it is.

I don't expect much from Revolution--Eric Kripke did a fairly decent job on Supernatural but I just have no faith in these "mini-series" esque dramas that rely on a very limited premise.

Touch is just plain uninteresting.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 09:41 AM   #923
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Abrams reminds me of JMS; a strong start and then a fade out. Alias was great, but finished badly. Lost was great, but finished worse. I forgot about Undercover. His movies are just loud popcorn flicks of no substance. Fringe looks good, although I haven't been following it, but chances are it will end badly.
Old May 10 2012, 12:18 PM   #924
Caliburn24
Commodore

I think liking or disliking Revolution based on Abrams involvement is premature at best.

He was a creator or co-creator on Felicity, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Undercovers. Those shows all bore his stamp fairly overtly

He was only an executive producer on What About Brian, Six Degrees, Person of Interest, Alcatraz. And none of those shows felt particularly like an Abrams show.

So what is he on Revolution? A creator who designs the series, or an executive producer attached for the cachet his name brings? Yeah, he's just an executive producer.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 01:26 PM   #925
Christopher
Writer

I thought that Undercovers was more Josh Reims's show, really. Given how many other things Abrams had to oversee, it was probably co-creator Reims who was most responsible for the day-to-day showrunning. Just as Fringe's day-to-day showrunners are Jeff Pinkner and J. H. Wyman, and Lost was run by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 07:21 PM   #926
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

He was a creator or co-creator on Felicity, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Undercovers. Those shows all bore his stamp fairly overtly
Of those, I only liked Lost, and wasn't that more Cuse and Lindelof's baby?

So what is he on Revolution?
I'm hoping Abrams is just a big name in the credits, with Kripke being more of an influence over the direction of the show. I don't watch Supernatural, but what little I've seen and heard of it, looks like it's a show that can maintain a strong plotline over time without annoying and driving away the audience, and has imagination and wit.

The worrisome thing about Revolution is also potentially the most appealing thing - it's a wide open premise that could go anywhere. In the right hands, it could be amazing.
Old May 10 2012, 07:24 PM   #927
Harvey
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Abrams reminds me of JMS; a strong start and then a fade out. Alias was great, but finished badly. Lost was great, but finished worse. I forgot about Undercover. His movies are just loud popcorn flicks of no substance. Fringe looks good, although I haven't been following it, but chances are it will end badly.
On the television side, you seem to be giving Abrams a lot of credit (or blame) where it's not deserved. His active involvement as a writer and/or director on those shows has been limited to their early life. Consider: Abrams' last writing credit on Lost was the season three premiere; his last writing credit on Fringe was the season two premiere; his last writing credit on Alias was the fourth season premiere; his last writing credit on Undercovers was the third episode.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 07:27 PM   #928
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Abrams hasn't actually been a showrunner in a long time. I doubt he'll ever be a showrunner again. The same goes for Joss Whedon.
Old May 10 2012, 08:12 PM   #929
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Kevin Bacon drama that was called Mastermind has been changed to The Following, which competes with John Carter for Name Most Likely to Drive the Audience Away. I dunno what happened with Mastermind - maybe it didn't clear a copyright search?
Old May 10 2012, 08:40 PM   #930
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's a franchised gameshow in most of the Common Wealth called mastermind that's been ongoing in one form or another since the mid 1960s.

Wow.

it wasn't till my third read through that I finally figured out that "the following" was the name of the show and not meaning that the new series is called "the next thing that I am about to say which is..."

Fuck.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote