Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 9 2012, 08:01 PM   #31
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Windows 8 Discussion

Methos wrote: View Post
exactly... i don't understand why they've decided to remove DVD/BluRay playback from the system... it just doesn't make sense in the long run unless they're going to release their own 'media player' system on the market for an upgrade price... and even then, it's just an idiotic idea...

i'm definitely sticking with 7... don't see Windows 8 offering me anything that i can't already do on 7

M
They're convinced that optical discs are going the way of the dinosaur...and they are right, but this may be too early to abandon the built in support for it.
Old May 9 2012, 08:17 PM   #32
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Doesn't basically every DVD/BD drive come with player software from the OEM anyway? And that typically includes codecs, which Windows Media Player will be able to use just fine (even though they aren't included with the OS.) In other words, end users will likely never notice this omission because manufacturers will make sure there's appropriate software to go along with the optical drive, pre-installed.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 08:27 PM   #33
CorporalClegg
Admiral

One big item not on the list is WinRT: the new api.

Microsoft has finally found a universal api--basically their holy grail since 3.1.

They came close with the WinFx in Longhorn, but of course that was eventually scrapped.

It's one of the biggest "under the hood" advancements in a long time, if not ever. It is HUGE for developers and could potentially launch app development in so many new directions.

There's a good possibility that a lot of companies will start going to rolling releases for their most popular software. Companies like Adobe might actually start favoring develping for Windows over MacOS.

It's too bad it has to come on such a shitty interface.

I can't honestly believe they did any real market research on it.

I have yet to meet one person who thinks it's a good idea.

In fact just last week, my dad tried it at work. All five people in the IT department hated it. So for a little experiment, they installed it on a few more computers and had everyone else in the company (bout 300 people) come down and try it.

Not one person like it and everyone pretty much just hated it.

And I still don't understand why they continue to try and jam that stupid ribbon down our throats. It's had nothing but five year's worth of bad press--not to mention all the hacks and alternative front-ends people have devised in order to rid themselves of it.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Really Methos? I used Win2000 for a good 5-6 years. It always struck me as one of the more stable versions. Agree on the rest though.
To date, Win2k is easily the best OS to ever come out of Redmond.

In terms of stability, functionality, and forward thinking it blows XP and Win7 out of the water.

RAMA wrote: View Post
They're convinced that optical discs are going the way of the dinosaur...and they are right, but this may be too early to abandon the built in support for it.
Not really.

It's expensive to develop and how many people actually use native support? Exactly.

I mean find me one person who doesn't immediately install VLC, MPC, or some similar third party movie player.

Besides, Windows could never play Bluray movies natively anyhow because of the DRM restrictions.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took them this long.
Old May 9 2012, 10:09 PM   #34
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, sorry Methos, but win2k is one of if not the best OS's MS has ever produced. Did you have some weird experience that turned you off of it early? Heck, Windows XP is basically just a gussied up version of Windows 2000.
Old May 9 2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

yeah i had a lot of problems with Windows 2k back then... must have just been me

M
Old May 9 2012, 10:16 PM   #36
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I remember using Windows 2000 back when it was released, and was rather impressed by it's stability. When XP SP2 came along, I felt that it was the best of both worlds: The stability and flexibility of the powerful Windows 2000, but the visual appeal of a home consumer OS.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 03:01 AM   #37
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

The more I read about Win8, etc., the less I want to use it. Just what I want -- shiny big kindergarten/cartoon icons a la Metro.

Thanks, MS.

Downloading Precise Pangolin as I type this to try out, via a USB stick.

Is there enough of a Linux presence on the TrekBBS for a Linux thread -- a calm discussion one, vs a "Linux sux, Mac is better, Windows yadda yadda" flame-fest type?? Coincidentally, I've been toying with the idea of starting one in hopes of the former, following the release of Precise Pangolin...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 03:02 AM   #38
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

don't actually know how many linux users we have here...

i bounce around on it from time to time, but use Windows as my primary system for everything because all my work software is Windows based, so can't move entirely to linux...

curious now how many people do use it though

M
Old May 10 2012, 03:03 AM   #39
CorporalClegg
Admiral

TNZ experiences fairly frequent NIX discussion in the various BS threads there.
Old May 10 2012, 06:29 AM   #40
SeerSGB
Admiral

I have friends that are trying to stock pile copies of 7 and Vista. They figure there'll be a huge market for the older OSs once 8 drops it's load all over new PCs.. Me, I'm just going to switch over to Linux when we get the next rig; gaming is going to be the only issue. But fuck it if I have to I'll just stack a extra drive, set it as the default boot drive and only dick with windows when I game.
Old May 10 2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I've got a few Linux machines around, the fastest is a Celeron 440 with a gig of RAM which runs Xubuntu, it has its flaws here and there but all in all it does everything you want except gaming, installation nowadays is easier than Windows, I've used several versions and varieties of Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse on a whole bunch of Intel and AMD machines and they all installed the correct drivers and so on.

Also there are several lightweight distro's around which can turn an old Pentium II with 128 Mb RAM and a 2 Gb HDD into something useful.

The only hickup is when something isn't working, that will mean you'll have to dig for answers online and use the terminal to type in commands, some people could be a little intimidated by that.
Old May 10 2012, 03:16 PM   #42
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

I'm still skeptical about removing the start menu completely, I really think Microsoft should include the option to turn it back on in the final release. But saying that I've been using Windows 8 on my netbook since the developer release last year and I haven't really missed it. I normally use the start menu to simply search for the program I'm looking for and you can still just type on the new start screen to search in the same way. Apart from that the Metro interface is mostly hidden.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I love the ribbon and I love how they've added it to explorer. Also the new task manager is a huge improvement, finally you can see which programs are using the hard disk!

What I am excited for is the hybrid machines, having a tablet and netbook in one would be fantastic. As long as the prices aren't too steep...
Old May 10 2012, 04:29 PM   #43
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Colonel Midnight wrote: View Post
Is there enough of a Linux presence on the TrekBBS for a Linux thread -- a calm discussion one, vs a "Linux sux, Mac is better, Windows yadda yadda" flame-fest type?? Coincidentally, I've been toying with the idea of starting one in hopes of the former, following the release of Precise Pangolin...
We're a few Linux users, not a lot I think. There is certainly some space for a reasonable discussion about Linux.

I'm not interested in Windows 8 at all. I've switched to Linux in 2005 without regrets. I used to have a partition with XP but now I only have it installed on Virtual box but I very rarely use it.
Old May 10 2012, 07:24 PM   #44
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I pretty much only stick with Windows on the desktop because of games. If Steam was ported to Linux and made to support the vast majority of the games I have, then I would probably switch and not look back.

That said, I won't use anything but Linux on a server. I probably know a lot more about Linux server administration than using a Linux desktop.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 07:43 PM   #45
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I pretty much only stick with Windows on the desktop because of games. If Steam was ported to Linux and made to support the vast majority of the games I have, then I would probably switch and not look back.
Steam will be ported to Linux so maybe this will lead to a portage of a lot of games too.

I have Steam installed through Wine and I play Portal 2 without major problems. I haven't tried other games.