RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,112
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 539
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9 2012, 05:56 AM   #106
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

You say that they are both loners, and yet Wolverine has been an X-Man since 1975, and Spider-Man was the most "teamed-up" hero Marvel had even before joining The Avengers. He even had a team-up book that lasted 150 issues and has a new team-up book now. I think that being an Avenger was a logical next step for Spidey as he already knows and has worked well with just about every hero Marvel has.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:10 AM   #107
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Luke Cage and Danny Rand met, and have been together fighting crime for the last 35 years.

Spider-Man has met a thousand other heroes but can't make a meaningful connection like that no matter how hard he tries... If he was a bloke chasing girls and failing constantly that successfully at every turn, you'd be asking if he's gay.

What the Avengers have that a random hook up doesn't is a bed and four square meals a day.

Peter is a slut.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:21 AM   #108
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
You say that they are both loners, and yet Wolverine has been an X-Man since 1975, and Spider-Man was the most "teamed-up" hero Marvel had even before joining The Avengers. He even had a team-up book that lasted 150 issues and has a new team-up book now. I think that being an Avenger was a logical next step for Spidey as he already knows and has worked well with just about every hero Marvel has.
Like I said it's about personality. Spidey being a hardluck hero who can't catch a break and Logan being a borderline psycho/misanthrope.

Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character, of course he's going to team up a lot. That doesn't make him the right fit for the Avengers.

Wolverine works as an X-Men because they are outcasts and mistrusted. But even among misfits he is a misfit who doesn't fit in. Spidey would actually fit as an X-men if it wasn't for that pesky "mutant" requirement.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:23 AM   #109
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Luke Cage and Danny Rand met, and have been together fighting crime for the last 35 years.

Spider-Man has met a thousand other heroes but can't make a meaningful connection like that no matter how hard he tries... If he was a bloke chasing girls and failing constantly that successfully at every turn, you'd be asking if he's gay.

What the Avengers have that a random hook up doesn't is a bed and four square meals a day.

Peter is a slut.
Maybe the Avengers make him wheat cakes in the morning. He couldn't even get MJ to do that for him.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:58 AM   #110
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Who runs the kitchen at Avengers mansion?

Wikipedia's last mention of the Avengers is Hercules grabbing him to be the mascot/heart of his new team of Avengers to... is that why Osborn lost?

Wikipedia says Osborn asked if Edwin wanted in on the dark Avengers.

(The Stones on this guy!!!)

He didn't have a counterfigurehead for Edwin Jarvis which was his underlying failing grace?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 08:18 AM   #111
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Like I said it's about personality. Spidey being a hardluck hero who can't catch a break and Logan being a borderline psycho/misanthrope.

Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character, of course he's going to team up a lot. That doesn't make him the right fit for the Avengers.

Wolverine works as an X-Men because they are outcasts and mistrusted. But even among misfits he is a misfit who doesn't fit in. Spidey would actually fit as an X-men if it wasn't for that pesky "mutant" requirement.
This is well-articulated and rings quite true. All of Marvel's groups have their own "personalities". FF is a family. X-Men are a semi-secret group of misunderstood mutants trying to make their way in a world they never made (sorry, Howard) (and Wolvie was always on the fringes of the group, despite his popularity and the consequent popular misconception of him as the main character within the group). The Avengers have pretty much always been a government-sanctioned band of elite superheroes. Best of the best. A frequently wanted-for-questioning misunderstood teenage vigilante does not fit that mold.

The FF is cosmic fantasy. X-Men is war and survival. Avengers is epic. Spidey is a street-level teenage NY wise-ass loser whose enemies are cripples, old men and the insane.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 11:16 AM   #112
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Wait... Spider-Man is like Batman?

__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 09:21 PM   #113
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

The FF is cosmic fantasy. X-Men is war and survival. Avengers is epic. Spidey is a street-level teenage NY wise-ass loser whose enemies are cripples, old men and the insane.
Spider-man (rather than alternative versions like Ultimate Spider-man) hasn't been a teenager in the comics since 1969? 1970?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 10:15 PM   #114
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

^ Well he was still in college in '86 when I quit comics.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 10:18 PM   #115
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Last time I read Spidey he was a teacher.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 11:13 PM   #116
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Spider-man (rather than alternative versions like Ultimate Spider-man) hasn't been a teenager in the comics since 1969? 1970?
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Last time I read Spidey he was a teacher.
Exactly. Peter Parker is a constantly evolving, changing, growing character, as all good characters should be. Peter Parker in his youth was a loner due his lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem. But the Peter Parker who has been Spider-Man for almost 15 years? Who has met and fought gods and travelled to the ends of space and seen and done the things that few other humans ever have (Including marryi-- *ahem* --excuse me-- dating a super-model)? Self-confidence and self esteem are NOT issues that this man should have anymore.

To say that he should *never* be an Avenger is to deny the growth of the character. It's like saying that Peter Parker should *always* be a photographer. Spider-Man deserves to be an Avenger as much as any other character. It's a logical progression for his character. Especially when people from the future keep saying that he will be remembered as the greatest hero of all (Most recently by Cable in X-Sanction).
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:18 AM   #117
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Like I said it's about personality. Spidey being a hardluck hero who can't catch a break and Logan being a borderline psycho/misanthrope.
Logan being borderline psycho is enough to keep him out of the Avengers for you.

Yet Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and all are well-adjusted enough to stick around? Yeah, because the Hulk is SO much more predictable and easy to control than Logan.

"No more mutants" is a bit more than borderline psycho as well, if you ask me.

It's funny to see the hypocritical justifications for keeping Spider-Man and Wolverine away from the team. Spider-Man, who you can trust more than anybody to do the right thing, will put his everything into doing what's right, and will more times than not succeed, yet he doesn't belong? Crazy.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:34 AM   #118
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Let's not argue about The Avengers/Wolverine/Spider-Man as if these were real people. If they were, then all of your arguments are valid and I agree with them. But since they are characters in comic books, it makes sense that they would want to have their own adventures.

Just because the setting for Marvel stories is the real world and real cities (instead of fake analouges like Metropolis/Gotham) doesn't mean that the characters have to behave in realistic ways.

Anyway, as proof, I point to Hugh Jackman's cameo in First Class. He doesn't want to play nice with the rest of the team.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:39 AM   #119
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

That was before he became a team player.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:41 AM   #120
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: what's next for Marvel (movies)?

tighr wrote: View Post

Anyway, as proof, I point to Hugh Jackman's cameo in First Class. He doesn't want to play nice with the rest of the team.

But he may be playing nice with the rest of the team in First Class 2.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avengers, marvel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.