New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 9 2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Windows 8 Discussion

Methos wrote: View Post
possibly...

i'd never move fully to a tablet however... i have an android tablet, and my 'phablet' phone thingie... but i don't use them half as much as i use my desktop PC, either for work or leisure...

M
I was trying to be charitable with my comments, but yeah, I'll pass on the tablet thing. I like my big 24-inch monitor, fast, high rez game graphics, nice speakers, and hefty keyboard for my big, sausage-like man fingers.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Count Zero
Guess who's back

as for removing media playback like DVD and BluRay... screw that... i can live without Windows Media Player no problem, but if they try and force market downloads from Microsoft to enable media playback, i'll either be sticking with Windows 7 or jumping ship to Ubunto very quickly
Firstly, it's called Ubuntu.

Secondly, Blu-Ray playback on any Linux system is a pain in the ass due to the way licensing/copy protection works. Blu-Rays without copy protection play fine but virtually all commercially available Blu-Rays are copy protected. Normally, companies providing software for Blu-Ray playback buy licenses which allow them to resolve this issue. That's why most Blu-Ray versions of these programs cost extra. Now, since Linux is open source and there isn't much commercial software around this option doesn't exist so readily. There are work-arounds which consist of basically ripping the Blu-Ray to your harddrive but that's not very comfortable. You can thank the content industry for this idiocy.
Old May 9 2012, 06:01 PM   #18
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I keep seeing this whenever I look at Win8:

In any case, does anyone who has used it know if you can have multiple windows/programs up on your screen at once? That's pretty crucial to what I do at work, since I typically have 4 or 5 (or more) different things going at once.
Old May 9 2012, 06:08 PM   #19
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

oh god, i'd completely forgotten about the AOL disaster lol

M
Old May 9 2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Count Zero
Guess who's back

B.J. wrote: View Post
In any case, does anyone who has used it know if you can have multiple windows/programs up on your screen at once? That's pretty crucial to what I do at work, since I typically have 4 or 5 (or more) different things going at once.
You can choose "Desktop" from the Metro window and then you'll have a regular Windows desktop which looks pretty much like that of Win 7 (at least that was possible in the developers version). It might also be possible to deactivate the Metro thing at start-up with some messing around in the innards of the system but I can't say for sure. I don't plan on getting it, anyway.
Old May 9 2012, 06:23 PM   #21
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

oh god, i'd completely forgotten about the AOL disaster lol

M
So did I. Wow. That's both hilarious and bone chillingly awful at the same time.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
B.J. wrote: View Post
You can choose "Desktop" from the Metro window and then you'll have a regular Windows desktop which looks pretty much like that of Win 7 (at least that was possible in the developers version). It might also be possible to deactivate the Metro thing at start-up with some messing around in the innards of the system but I can't say for sure. I don't plan on getting it, anyway.
Yeah, I wouldn't get it. I figure the new Windows 8 slogan should be:

"Windows 8: Just Like Windows 7! Now with more obstacles!"
or maybe:
"Windows 8: Get less done in more time!"
Perhaps:
"Windows 8: Setting Your UI Back to 1996!"

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 06:25 PM   #22
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

as far as i can see from the RC, there isn't a full way to disable the 'metro' interface... and even in 'desktop mode', explorer is pretty hideous to use now it's been stripped and gutted...

M
Old May 9 2012, 06:44 PM   #23
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

as far as i can see from the RC, there isn't a full way to disable the 'metro' interface... and even in 'desktop mode', explorer is pretty hideous to use now it's been stripped and gutted...

M
One of the first things I did was root around for the Metro interface and I couldn't find any way to disable it. Windows 8 makes the explorer look like nothing more than a mini-app. On a desktop computer, making the usable point and click interface secondary is a stupid idea.

Old May 9 2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Methos

yeah... i suppose i had a slightly better experience with the Metro interface because i have a touchscreen monitor at my disposal, but i can't see myself adapting to it fully... just couldn't get my head around it properly...

M
Old May 9 2012, 06:48 PM   #25
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

yeah... i suppose i had a slightly better experience with the Metro interface because i have a touchscreen monitor at my disposal, but i can't see myself adapting to it fully... just couldn't get my head around it properly...

M
It's because nothing is intuitive and you have to take extra steps just to do simple tasks. This OS isn't made for desktops, and they're trying to shoehorn it in there, anyway, and then charge you $100+ to do it.

Old May 9 2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The Metro interface looks absurd for a desktop PC, or even a laptop. Perfectly fine for a tablet or phone, though.

Microsoft will have to put in a way to disable Metro or at least hide it, otherwise they will never get businesses to buy it. Corporate users hate having things changed for no benefit. Corporate rejection is why Vista failed, for that matter--Microsoft had to extend XP support and offer downgrade rights to keep business customers happy! But now, adoption of 7 is going quite well, because they got all the kinks worked out and it's pretty easy to use more or less how you used XP (but with the benefits of 7.)

I suspect 8 will be more like Vista, and Windows 9 will be more like 7.

Still can't figure out how the hell they did the numbering, though. Is it like this?

Windows 7
Windows Vista (6)
Windows XP (5)
Windows 95/98 (4)
Windows 3.x (3)
Windows 2.x (2)
Windows 1.x (1)

(Hey, if I were MS, I'd want to pretend Mistake Edition didn't happen, too! In addition, it's sort of amusing that the internal name of 7 is NT 6.1 to Vista's 6.0. Stupid marketing nonsense.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Methos

bit more convoluted than that actually...

20 November 1985 - Windows 1.0
9 December 1987 - Windows 2.0
27 May 1988 - Windows 2.10
13 March 1989 - Windows 2.11
22 May 1990 - Windows 3.0
6 April 1992 - Windows 3.1
27 July 1993 - Windows NT 3.1
21 September 1994 - Windows NT 3.5
24 August 1995 - Windows 95
24 August 1996 - Windows NT 4.0
25 June 1998 - Windows 98
5 May 1999 - Windows 98 SE
17 February 2000 - Windows 2000
14 September 2000 - Windows Me
25 October 2001 - Windows XP
31 October 2002 - Windows XP Media Center Edition
12 October 2004 - Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
30 November 2006 - Windows Vista
22 October 2009 - Windows 7
6 April 2011 - Windows Home Server 2011

M
Old May 9 2012, 07:41 PM   #28
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

bit more convoluted than that actually...

20 November 1985 - Windows 1.0
9 December 1987 - Windows 2.0
27 May 1988 - Windows 2.10
13 March 1989 - Windows 2.11
22 May 1990 - Windows 3.0
6 April 1992 - Windows 3.1
27 July 1993 - Windows NT 3.1
21 September 1994 - Windows NT 3.5
24 August 1995 - Windows 95
24 August 1996 - Windows NT 4.0
25 June 1998 - Windows 98
5 May 1999 - Windows 98 SE
17 February 2000 - Windows 2000
14 September 2000 - Windows Me
25 October 2001 - Windows XP
31 October 2002 - Windows XP Media Center Edition
12 October 2004 - Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
30 November 2006 - Windows Vista
22 October 2009 - Windows 7
6 April 2011 - Windows Home Server 2011

M
Yeah, thanks. I know the actual version of history of Windows, you know. I was trying to figure out how they arrived at "Windows 7," but clearly it's an arbitrary designation because it doesn't appear to be based on the genuine version history and doesn't take into account that the DOS-based line was superseded by the NT line. Most users probably have no clue XP has a completely different architecture than 95/98/Me did.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 07:44 PM   #29
Methos

yeah, there's no actual common sense to the naming whatsoever...

figuring they just went with "7" for the current one, and decided to go from there

M
Old May 9 2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I have machines with Win 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98SE, 2000 and 7 running, guess why there's not one with ME or Vista..