Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 8 2012, 07:47 PM   #136
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Why DID Hamels hit Harper, anyway? What did Harper do to deserve that? Was it just because Harper was a rookie and Hamels wanted him to know what it felt like to get hit? If Harper's ever done anything that would deserve him being thrown at, I'm not aware of it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 10:23 PM   #137
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Hamels was just being a dick. The problem wasn't that he hit Harper (although I don't know why he did that). The problem is that he admitted it. You just don't do that, no matter how intentional it was.
So his problem was that he was being honest? Basically, MLB should reward lying and not honesty? If his problem was specifically that he hit him, that would make more sense.

As for the reason, he said it was just that he was welcoming him into the league and remind him that he's a rookie and shouldn't be cocky.
Old May 9 2012, 08:52 AM   #138
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Josh Hamilton had a 4 HR night tonight, making him the 16th player in MLB history to accomplish such a feat. I saw a few of them (including the last one) and they were just rocket shots. I do wonder when you would start intentionally walking a guy, but it was a moot point by the time he hit the 4th.
Old May 9 2012, 11:25 AM   #139
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Yeah, was watching him hit his fourth HR on my iPad as I was watching the Mets comeback on the Philies, while switching back and forth to the Yankees game watching Robertson try and close the game, of course loading the bases before the Ump called the last batter out on a close, outside pitch.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2012, 02:36 PM   #140
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Hamels was just being a dick. The problem wasn't that he hit Harper (although I don't know why he did that). The problem is that he admitted it. You just don't do that, no matter how intentional it was.
So his problem was that he was being honest? Basically, MLB should reward lying and not honesty?
Not lying, more like...just being vague.

If his problem was specifically that he hit him, that would make more sense.
Like I said, pitchers hit batters all the time. Sometimes for good reason, sometimes not. But it happens. It's normal. It's part of the "code". What is also part of the code is never admitting it. That's simply the way it is.

he said it was just that he was welcoming him into the league and remind him that he's a rookie and shouldn't be cocky.
Ah yes, about that...first of all, Cole Hamels is practically a rookie himself (he's only been with the Phillies since, what, 2006?). And what's he gonna do, throw at the head of every rookie who comes to the plate? (Especially since his own manager wishes he hadn't done it?)

That can't be it. There has to be something more to this. Hamels must have felt that Harper did something to deserve it, but I can't imagine what.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 9 2012, 03:07 PM   #141
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

So MLB suspended him for admitting it not because he did it? Does that really make sense. Five games for honesty? If you were to say that intentionally hitting another player is never allowed, I would at least say that might make some sense.
Old May 9 2012, 03:41 PM   #142
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ah yes, about that...first of all, Cole Hamels is practically a rookie himself (he's only been with the Phillies since, what, 2006?). And what's he gonna do, throw at the head of every rookie who comes to the plate? (Especially since his own manager wishes he hadn't done it?)

That can't be it. There has to be something more to this. Hamels must have felt that Harper did something to deserve it, but I can't imagine what.
Being a six-year veteran means you're "practically a rookie?" If you live on a planet where crack grows on trees, maybe.

In any event, Hamels is a moron. Not because he admitted to hitting Harper intentionally (please don't babble about "the code" or some crap like that), but because this was about him wanting to be the guy who put the cocky teenage phenom in his place, since this teenager needed to be put in his place for some inexplicable reason. Hamels probably decided he was going to do it when stories about Harper's arrogance in the minors were surfacing. Hamels is an idiot, plain and simple. When Bryce fucking Harper comes out looking like the cool, non-dickish dude in a situation, you know something is wrong.

The Phillies have been throwing at batters for years (and it's not just the pitchers; Rollins and especially Victorino are cheap-shot guys on the bases); I'm just glad one of them got called out for it.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 01:07 AM   #143
Scout101
Admiral

Fenway Park announcer (since 2003) died of a heart attack today...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._announce.html
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 01:18 AM   #144
Skywalker
Admiral

Aw, man. That's too bad. RIP.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:39 AM   #145
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

RIP Mr. Beane.
Old May 10 2012, 02:44 AM   #146
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Very sad to hear that, They had a nice tribute to him at Fenway today. On a side note, a really cool thing happen before the Braves-Cubs game today. They gave Chipper Jones the Braves standing flag to Chipper, which I think is a very classy move.

I ment during the broadcast, I know they are away.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; May 10 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old May 15 2012, 01:41 PM   #147
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Bryce Harper hit his first home run last night, a shot to dead center field. He ran around the bases like a rookie should, then the crowd demanded a curtain call. I wonder how his next ten years in baseball will shake out.

Old May 15 2012, 03:06 PM   #148
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

God, Major League Baseball is so fucking petty. Turns out they fired Shyam Das, who had been the league's chief arbitrator since 1999. "What's that? You overturn our suspension of this guy on a chain-of-custody issue? FUCK OFF YOU'RE FIRED! "
Old May 15 2012, 03:21 PM   #149
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Does his firing really upset you that much, did you even know his name before the story hit? MLB has decided that they didn't like some of the decisions he was making, so they decided to make a change. No big deal, happens all the time.

Timby wrote: View Post
God, Major League Baseball is so fucking petty. Turns out they fired Shyam Das, who had been the league's chief arbitrator since 1999. "What's that? You overturn our suspension of this guy on a chain-of-custody issue? FUCK OFF YOU'RE FIRED! "

Old May 15 2012, 03:31 PM   #150
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Does his firing really upset you that much, did you even know his name before the story hit?
Yes, and yes.

MLB has decided that they didn't like some of the decisions he was making, so they decided to make a change. No big deal, happens all the time.
What a ridiculous assertion. This isn't the first time MLB has sacked an arbitrator (Peter Seitz was fired after he effectively nullified the reserve clause in 1975; Thomas Roberts lost his job after ruling against owners in the 1985 - 86 collusion case), and it sends a chilling message each time it happens. The whole point of including binding arbitration as part of the collective bargaining agreement is to have an impartial third party as the ultimate decision-maker in the event that a dispute can't be settled. MLB's pettiness essentially says, "Issue a ruling we don't like, and we will replace you."

MLB has been livid ever since the Braun decision came down (Rob Manfred said on more than one occasion that the league was exploring "all options" in response to the ruling), so the firing isn't surprising -- just absurd. I think it's pretty clear that Braun didn't make an actual innocence defense, only a non-malicious procedural flaw, which is fine, that's how the system is supposed to work since both parties collectively bargained it to work that way, but it only works that way because neither side actually gives a shit about eradicating PED usage.