RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2012, 04:48 PM   #676
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I have my doubts about Renner's Hawkeye carrying a standalone, but I'm not familiar with his work outside of Marvel. For all I know the guy could be a fuckin' awesome actor.
Well, they've given him the Bourne franchise.
Really? Wow. That's confidence. I'll have to check the new Bourne. Thanks.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 04:52 PM   #677
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I have my doubts about Renner's Hawkeye carrying a standalone, but I'm not familiar with his work outside of Marvel. For all I know the guy could be a fuckin' awesome actor.
The Bourne Legacy
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
The Town
The Hurt Locker
28 Weeks Later
SWAT

I think he could handle his own movie but could the character? I think its best to have him like Black Widow appear in the other Marvel movies and not their own.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 04:56 PM   #678
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Jax wrote: View Post
The Bourne Legacy
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
The Town
The Hurt Locker
28 Weeks Later
SWAT
I've been wanting to check out M:I4 and The Town. I have no memory of him in 28 Weeks Later, so I'll have to pull that sucker off the shelf and check it out. I've seen The Hurt Locker, didn't care for it. SWAT any good? Thanks for the list though. You've given me an excuse to watch some movies and that's always welcome.
Old May 8 2012, 04:57 PM   #679
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just the typical spin doctoring you would expect from his representation.

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

Brian Swardstrom
WME"
You know, reading this I can't help but wonder if it was Joss who decided that Norton just wasn't right for his movie. Either because of the actor's abrasive personality, or because his Banner just didn't really work the way he thought it should.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 05:05 PM   #680
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Ed Norton has a tendency to demand creative control on his films. He comes in and rewrites the script to his specs and demands final cut. You can imagine how thrilled Joss-of all people-would be with that.
Old May 8 2012, 05:10 PM   #681
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I've been wanting to check out M:I4 and The Town. I have no memory of him in 28 Weeks Later, so I'll have to pull that sucker off the shelf and check it out. I've seen The Hurt Locker, didn't care for it. SWAT any good? Thanks for the list though. You've given me an excuse to watch some movies and that's always welcome.
Np and SWAT its ok, a decent action flick worth a viewing some night. In 28 Weeks Later he was one of the snipers on guard when the outbreak occured and helped the kids escape.

Ed Norton has a tendency to demand creative control on his films. He comes in and rewrites the script to his specs and demands final cut. You can imagine how thrilled Joss-of all people-would be with that.
Yeh especially with Joss being a much better writer than Ed
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 05:23 PM   #682
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I doubt Joss would have that much final say on Norton's being (or not being) in the film. I would think much of that would be up to the studio(s), Marvel and the producers as they're the ones with the financial backing and in Marvel's case the creative control of the universe they're establishing. So if the producers, studio and Marvel wanted Norton in the movie and Joss didn't it would've been tough-luck, Mr. Whedon.
Old May 8 2012, 05:57 PM   #683
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Regarding Black Widow. I don't think she could pull off a movie by herself, but I don't know enough about the comics, so I could be wrong.

That being said, I could see Renner and Johannson in a movie together (can't think of a title, though, "Black Widow and Hawkeye" sounds dumb). They were cool characters who worked well in spite of not having the buildup that other characters had.
As a title, how about: "Hawk vs Spider" ?
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 06:02 PM   #684
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The best Black Widow story I read was the one introducing Yelana Belova as a Russian spy sent to kill Natasha to claim the official Black Widow title back to Russia.

That could easily work as a movie.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 06:02 PM   #685
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Black/'Eye

I like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 07:04 PM   #686
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just a minor nitpick, but anyone else wish some of the character entrances had been a bit cooler? We're introduced to Iron Man... welding stuff underwater. And while Thor landing on the plane was cool, there was no real build-up to it all (except for a few little flashes of lightning beforehand). And Hawkeye just kind of emerges from a hole in the wall. Lol

Going into the movie, I was really expecting to see some exciting, thrilling entrances from these characters. But instead a lot of them just kind of fell flat.

Black Widow definitely got a cool entrance, but most of the others seemed to be introduced way too casually, I thought.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 07:16 PM   #687
RoJoHen
Awesome

Eh, considering we'd already been introduced to all these characters in the other movies, that didn't really bother me.
Old May 8 2012, 07:26 PM   #688
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I think Thor should come out of the blue, from the sky, like a bolt of lightning, just as he did here. He's the thunder god, after all.
Old May 8 2012, 08:09 PM   #689
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Just a minor nitpick, but anyone else wish some of the character entrances had been a bit cooler? We're introduced to Iron Man... welding stuff underwater. And while Thor landing on the plane was cool, there was no real build-up to it all (except for a few little flashes of lightning beforehand). And Hawkeye just kind of emerges from a hole in the wall. Lol

Going into the movie, I was really expecting to see some exciting, thrilling entrances from these characters. But instead a lot of them just kind of fell flat.

Black Widow definitely got a cool entrance, but most of the others seemed to be introduced way too casually, I thought.
For me, Loki really sold Thor's entrance with his quip about not liking what comes next.
Old May 8 2012, 08:13 PM   #690
Warped9
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The best Black Widow story I read was the one introducing Yelana Belova as a Russian spy sent to kill Natasha to claim the official Black Widow title back to Russia.

That could easily work as a movie.
Hmm, that does sound interesting. I like it.