Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2012, 10:01 PM   #601
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 11:17 PM   #602
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
You know I gotta say, as generic and unmemorable as the rest of the score is, the actual Avenger's Theme is pretty damn great.

I just wish the rest of the score was as good.
Honestly, the last thing I was doing was listening to the music. I can deal with it not being John-Williamsesque.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 11:28 PM   #603
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Old May 7 2012, 11:32 PM   #604
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I know it's faithful to the comics, but that helmet/headdress of Loki's looked kinda dumb.
Weren't you complaining about people changing Superman's outfit? I would have thought you would have liked comicbook faithfulness at all costs.
Spider-man's costume was conceptually faithful yet certainly wasn't strictly what was seen in the comics. He also had organic web spinners rather than mechanical ones. I didn't have a problem with either because they got all the other important stuff right.

Loki's helmet just looked odd. Maybe when I see it again I won't think so. Maybe.
Superman is blue and red, has a cape and an S. It seems they got all the important stuff right there too.
Old May 7 2012, 11:34 PM   #605
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

As much as I absolutely love this movie I do have to register my disappointment at one thing. I can only really remember the main theme from the score. After the fantastic job that Alan Silvestri did with Captain America, this one just doesn't measure up.
Old May 7 2012, 11:48 PM   #606
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Hope you guys will forgive me for not wanting to wade through 40 pages of messages, but hows the 3D in this one?

I'm not a fan of the process, but if it really adds a lot to the film, I may take the chance and pay the extra $4.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 8 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 11:54 PM   #607
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

The 3D is excellent for post-converted. I found it actually a little too good. Way too overstimulating for me. There's enough to see, adding an extra dimension is almost too much of a fantastic thing. At least for me. I'm pretty hyper though.

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; May 8 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 12:47 AM   #608
the G-man
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post

More likely its a reveal that he's the big bad for Avengers II.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 01:09 AM   #609
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

This is priceless. The Department of Defense refused to cooperate with the Avengers because S.H.I.E.L.D. works for Homeland Security!

The DoD was totally on board with The Avengers until mid-way through production when, according to US Defense Department Hollywood liaison Phil Strub, it became confusing to the powers that be where, exactly, the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division would fall in the current bureaucratic command structure:
"We couldn't reconcile the unreality of this international organization and our place in it. To whom did S.H.I.E.L.D. answer? Did we work for S.H.I.E.L.D.? We hit that roadblock and decided we couldn't do anything [with Avengers]."
According to Wired, Marvel tried to explain—with what must've been a straight face—that given the word "Homeland" in its title, S.H.I.E.L.D. would be part of the Department of Homeland Security, not the Department of Defense. If S.H.I.E.L.D. was a real organization. Which it is not. Because The Avengers is a work of fiction.
Waaa waaa waaa! Bureaucratic infighting over fictional organizations. Our tax dollars at work.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 01:39 AM   #610
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
This is priceless. The Department of Defense refused to cooperate with the Avengers because S.H.I.E.L.D. works for Homeland Security!

The DoD was totally on board with The Avengers until mid-way through production when, according to US Defense Department Hollywood liaison Phil Strub, it became confusing to the powers that be where, exactly, the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division would fall in the current bureaucratic command structure:
"We couldn't reconcile the unreality of this international organization and our place in it. To whom did S.H.I.E.L.D. answer? Did we work for S.H.I.E.L.D.? We hit that roadblock and decided we couldn't do anything [with Avengers]."
According to Wired, Marvel tried to explain—with what must've been a straight face—that given the word "Homeland" in its title, S.H.I.E.L.D. would be part of the Department of Homeland Security, not the Department of Defense. If S.H.I.E.L.D. was a real organization. Which it is not. Because The Avengers is a work of fiction.
Waaa waaa waaa! Bureaucratic infighting over fictional organizations. Our tax dollars at work.
More like not working... we probably saved money. Anyway, as I read it the DoD didn't like the way SHIELD took orders from an international organization, which would be different from DHS.
Old May 8 2012, 02:39 AM   #611
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Anyone else think Thor's reset-button got hit as far as this movie's events are concerned? Consider that everyone else's character got a bit more developed but with Thor his coming back is pretty much hand-waved with an "Ohhh. Odin spent a lot of money to get you here." (or something.) And then at the end the Tesseract is used to bring Thor and Loki back to Asgard with only lip service played to Jane Foster.

It seems like it was like "Uhhh... We need Thor to come back for the movie, but we also need him back stuck in Asgard at the end in order for the next movie to deal with him getting back to Jane/Jane getting to him."

I mean Captain America emerges as a leader and adapts more to life in the 21st century, Tony Stark grows up a bit more (and risks his life to save NYC), Banner gains yet more control of The Hulk and shows himself more of a hero and even Black Widow gets some development. All of this will translate into their next movies. But Thor? Nope. Reset button. He came to Earth for a few days, helped save the world, then he went back home more-or-less like nothing happened.
Old May 8 2012, 02:41 AM   #612
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Anyone else think Thor's reset-button got hit as far as this movie's events are concerned? Consider that everyone else's character got a bit more developed but with Thor his coming back is pretty much hand-waved with an "Ohhh. Odin spent a lot of money to get you here." (or something.) And then at the end the Tesseract is used to bring Thor and Loki back to Asgard with only lip service played to Jane Foster.

It seems like it was like "Uhhh... We need Thor to come back for the movie, but we also need him back stuck in Asgard at the end in order for the next movie to deal with him getting back to Jane/Jane getting to him."

I mean Captain America emerges as a leader and adapts more to life in the 21st century, Tony Stark grows up a bit more (and risks his life to save NYC), Banner gains yet more control of The Hulk and shows himself more of a hero and even Black Widow gets some development. All of this will translate into their next movies. But Thor? Nope. Reset button. He came to Earth for a few days, helped save the world, then he went back home more-or-less like nothing happened.

Summed it up perfectly. Thor's reset button treatment was the only thing that bothered me about The Avengers.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 02:41 AM   #613
RoJoHen
Awesome

This movie was fucking awesome. Holy shit. I do wish that Thor had a bigger part, especially since his frickin' brother is the main villain, but other than that I think every character was used the perfect amount of time. I admit I didn't remotely give a shit about Black Widow in "Iron Man 2," but she became one of my favorite characters in this movie.
Old May 8 2012, 02:42 AM   #614
RoJoHen
Awesome

But Thor? Nope. Reset button. He came to Earth for a few days, helped save the world, then he went back home more-or-less like nothing happened.
Honestly, I hope that Jane addresses this in the next Thor movie, and I hope he gets a big slap in the face for not visiting her.
Old May 8 2012, 02:50 AM   #615
Mike Farley
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
But Thor? Nope. Reset button. He came to Earth for a few days, helped save the world, then he went back home more-or-less like nothing happened.
Honestly, I hope that Jane addresses this in the next Thor movie, and I hope he gets a big slap in the face for not visiting her.
Then he can drop her silly ass and hook up with Sif.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote