TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old May 6 2012, 09:20 PM   #16
tighr
Commodore

Re: TNG - "Warp core" and subspace... even though it's just a reactor

Verteron wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Even if computing could be FTL, which I would begrudgingly accept, I am 100% absolutely unwilling to accept the idea that it is so fast that it effectively travels back in time. I don't care what futuristic tech you come up with, information is not going to arrive before it leaves.
Superluminal travel in the Star Trek universe does not violate causality. Taking a trip to Alpha Centauri and back at Warp speed does not allow you to arrive before you leave, likewise pushing bits across your mainframe in a subspace field does not allow results to discerned before you start to compute them.
I was referencing threads that have popped up in the past where it was argued that the computers could send information back in time, and that evidence of this speed was that comm traffic would go straight to your commbadge before the speaker even said your name.

Like I said, FTL/superuminal != time travel.
Old May 7 2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Verteron
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Like I said, FTL/superuminal != time travel.
Actually in current-day special relativity, FTL travel implies time travel in some frames of reference, always. It's a problem that is generally ignored completely in all but the hardest science fiction (such as the novel Exultant by Stephen Baxter).
Verteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

I had once wrote fan fiction story where I had a couple guys from MIT build a device that would generate neutrinos that would go so fast, they would go back in time. They were able to attach a carrier wave to it, and thus could make a Wi-Fi signal go back in time one day. The particales were in a magnetic field, so even as they went back in time they would also stay in the same location. So effectively while they could not go physically back in time they could send information back one day. By keep the device always running, they were able to see information on the internet from tommorow. Of course, this let them win the lottery and and help prevent some crimes etc..

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote