RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 439
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 26 2012, 09:24 PM   #676
Me-Ike
Fleet Captain

Re: Fitness Checkin

Lumi wrote: View Post
Am I the only girl in here...?

I've been walking my entire life, never had a car as a kid. In the last couple of years I've started jogging (as gently as one can, don't want to hurt my knees). A few months back I started watching what I eat, and I have lots 16 lbs so far. So happy!
Never fear! I'm throwing my double X chromosoms into the ring as well.

I've also been jogging for the past years as well, equally gently at first as well (I was elected Queen of the Couch Potatoes). Now I run most days of the weeks, usually around 6 kilometres, 10 when I have the time. Knees are complaining it about it from time to time, so I stretch after every run. It helps.

Do you run with music or without?
Old March 4 2012, 11:13 PM   #677
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Hard and heavy for me since early January. Total aggregate weight lifted last week for just leg press and hack squat: 102,150lbs.

RAMA
Old March 5 2012, 02:24 AM   #678
RoJoHen
Awesome

My friend and I have been working out very regularly for the last 2 months. It's awesome having a lifting partner again! I've already added a ton of weight to all of my exercises. It helps having a spotter who can push a couple extra reps out of you!
Old March 8 2012, 07:56 AM   #679
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

Me-Ike wrote: View Post
Lumi wrote: View Post
Am I the only girl in here...?

I've been walking my entire life, never had a car as a kid. In the last couple of years I've started jogging (as gently as one can, don't want to hurt my knees). A few months back I started watching what I eat, and I have lots 16 lbs so far. So happy!
Never fear! I'm throwing my double X chromosoms into the ring as well.

I've also been jogging for the past years as well, equally gently at first as well (I was elected Queen of the Couch Potatoes). Now I run most days of the weeks, usually around 6 kilometres, 10 when I have the time. Knees are complaining it about it from time to time, so I stretch after every run. It helps.

Do you run with music or without?
It depends. Sometimes my reason for getting out running is more than just wanting exercise. Sometimes it's just to get away from my hectic household, and enjoy the quiet of nature. But I do find that when I do listen to music as I move, it makes me move much faster. Very motivating! It's pretty much 50/50.

I hit a plateau after I made that last post. Can't seem to lose any more weight, no matter how low I go with calories. It's hell!
Old April 17 2012, 12:10 PM   #680
Deks
Rear Admiral

I started working out on my own about 9 years ago (no gym though - home made exercises).
I weighted 130kg before that (it slowly piled up over an 8 year period from when I was 13 years old - before that I was pretty 'average') and lost 46kg in 4 months.
Ever since then I meditate on a regular basis, and work out by going out for a jog (45 to 60 mins - depending how much I feel up to at the time) with additional 15 mins (up to 30) for some body exercises with dumbbells - this I do about 2 days in a row, with 1 day of rest, or just every other day (depends).
My knees had a tendency to complain at a time because of the jogging, but it settled down.
I usually stretch before jogging (and sometimes afterwards), so its usually not an issue.

I was thinking on taking up regular swimming in addition to my jogging because the former would have an easier time affecting the entire body - but memberships are a bit expensive right now, so I just exercise on my own.

I have no issues with motivation, and if I don't exercise at all for a period of time, I don't gain weight (I'm eating mostly 2 meals per day anyway which I split into 4 smaller ones, and it's mostly enough for me) - and getting back into working out, I like to ease into it more or less (if I see the need to - if not, then I just continue as I did before).
Old May 5 2012, 04:18 PM   #681
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I started a diet/workout routine about 3 weeks ago. So far I've gone from 255 pounds to 240. Weight has been a consistent issue for me in my life, in college I managed to lose 45 pounds from 215 down to 170, which is where I want to get, then start getting into weight training. Since then I let myself go after a slew of family tragedies and a horrendously bad break up a few years ago.

My schedule at work has a built in 2 and a half hour break, which I think will make it easier to maintain a workout routine once I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with. So far, it's 99% cardio, and almost all of that is treadmill time.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 10:16 PM   #682
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LeadHead wrote: View Post
I started a diet/workout routine about 3 weeks ago. So far I've gone from 255 pounds to 240. Weight has been a consistent issue for me in my life, in college I managed to lose 45 pounds from 215 down to 170, which is where I want to get, then start getting into weight training. Since then I let myself go after a slew of family tragedies and a horrendously bad break up a few years ago.

My schedule at work has a built in 2 and a half hour break, which I think will make it easier to maintain a workout routine once I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with. So far, it's 99% cardio, and almost all of that is treadmill time.

Old June 11 2012, 02:28 PM   #683
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

^Thanks for the support RAMA! I've now lost 25 pounds!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 04:06 AM   #684
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Leaning down still, I've lost about 25 lbs now. Doing cardio twice a day! Great workout tonight!

RAMA
Old August 5 2012, 12:31 PM   #685
Lonemagpie
Writer

fuck, that's a shock - stepped on the bathroom scales for the first time in weeks, expecting to see them read 13 and a quarter to 13 and a half stone as they always have done for about 20 years... But no!

Shockingly they read....

12 and three-quarter! WTF?

(I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, but it's always nice to see anyhow)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 11:18 PM   #686
Lonemagpie
Writer

well that's an unusual taekwondo injury - made to sit down on the floor while warming up, to do some sit-ups, and something in my left knee went twang. All the way down the side of the calf to the ankle. You'd think this stuff would happen when trying to do fancy spinning kicks and stuff. Of course, since that was just during warmup, and I'd paid for the session, I went on and did the fancy spinning kicks and fighting and stuff all evening - cos whatever twanged only seemed to affect me when I tried to sit down (so I didn't) or tried spinning clockwise (which I'm weaker at than spinning anticlockwise anyway) - so... it'll be interesting to see whether I can actually walk tomorrow...

So, to the bourbon cabinet! Some booze, chocolate, and Jackie Chan's legendary Drunken Master (with taekwondo master Hwang Jang Lee as the villain) should see me right...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:49 PM   #687
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

The going is slow, but I have lost 37 lbs now. Not that much more to go...

EA Sports Active 2 = <3
Old September 21 2012, 06:37 PM   #688
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Got leaner, staying leaner. Working on planning out my meals 4 days ahead of time.
Old April 18 2013, 02:26 AM   #689
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

So this thread has been pinned without a post for 7 months.

I have hesitated for a long time, mostly out of self-consciousness. But today I thought I would share my story.

I went to the Star Trek convention in San Francisco in November, and my wife and I had photo ops with everyone there.

When we got them back, I was mortified. I have always been heavy, but getting the objective view of the camera, I was disgusted with myself. I knew it was time to do something.

So, on January 8th, 2013, I started Weight Watchers online. I figured, if it could work for the Round Mound of Rebound, it could work for me.

Here we are three months later. I have followed the plan religiously, tracking all my points daily, doing everything the plan says to do.

As of today, I have lost 28.5 pounds.

For the first time in my life, I had to buy smaller pants. I have more energy. I just feel better.

I have another 26 pounds to go to hit my goal weight, but I'm more than halfway there. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the plan works. It makes sense. It's easy to follow. The online tools are great.

So I will keep going.

Here's to all of us who struggle.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 03:11 AM   #690
Pondwater
Commodore

Good for you man!

I'm trying to get myself back into shape. For a while I was doing well but then fell into a slump. Saw this thread but didn't see a recent post in it until now.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote