Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 3 2012, 01:38 AM   #856
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

shivkala wrote: View Post
I think people are discounting a huge factor in this episode's awesomeness...Michael Ironside. Is there anything that isn't immediately made more awesome by his appearance?
I dunno. I was kinda hoping that Serena Southerlyn would show up as the defense attorney, then make a pass at either Britta or Annie.

This was one of my favorite episodes ever! Community and Law & Order are two of my all-time favorite TV shows. (All they needed were some Angel cameos & a side trip to Deep Space 9 and it would have been my ultimate fangasm!) I loved how they perfectly copied the shooting style of the show. Shirley did a subtle but brilliant Lt. Van Buren impression. And many kudos for bringing in Dr. Rodgers as the medical examiner. Even her Dr. Mengele line was a callback to the Season 6 episode "Charm City"!

There's one thing that concerns me though. I've only seen a couple of episodes this season-- this one & the Civil War pillow fight episode. In both of those, Britta is only in the episode for a few seconds and it seems like she's generally dismissed and not treated very well. It feels like she's becoming the Meg Griffin of the show. (Or have I just accidentally stumbled upon the season's two worst examples of the glory that is Britta?)

LeadHead wrote: View Post
For some reason, Community seems to have slow starts with weaker episodes, then building to better ones as the season goes on.
I dunno. Season 2 had some really strong episodes in the 1st half of the season, like "Accounting for Lawyers," "Basic Rocket Science," and "Conspiracy Theories & Interior Design." Although I suppose it also had some unpleasantly dark episodes like "Aerodynamics of Gender" & "Mixology Certification."

Sci wrote: View Post
I don't think it's fair to professionals or to fan film creators to have their works compete against one-another, for all the reasons he cited. It's not fair to professionals, who have worked to build solid careers and should be judged against the standards set by their fellow professionals; and it's not fair to the fan film creators, who have to work to create something of quality with far fewer resources (in money, equipment, and, often, numbers of talented performers) than a professional production has access to.
Since amateur productions have access to fewer resources than the professionals do, I don't see how it's unfair to the professionals when it's the amateurs who suffer all the disadvantages. If a professional loses to an amateur, I would think he should reexamine the quality of his output.

No one ever complained that down-and-out Rocky Balboa had an unfair advantage over heavyweight-champion Apollo Creed.

I would also point out that, in the Oscars, there have been movies that were nominated for the general Best Picture category that were also nominated for Best Animated Feature (Up, Toy Story 3) or Best Foreign Film (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Life Is Beautiful). No one ever said that these nominations gave them an unfair advantage over their live-action, Anglo-American competition.
Old May 3 2012, 02:04 AM   #857
shivkala
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
There's one thing that concerns me though. I've only seen a couple of episodes this season-- this one & the Civil War pillow fight episode. In both of those, Britta is only in the episode for a few seconds and it seems like she's generally dismissed and not treated very well. It feels like she's becoming the Meg Griffin of the show. (Or have I just accidentally stumbled upon the season's two worst examples of the glory that is Britta?)
You might be onto something. A few episodes ago focused on Britta and her ex, a Carnie. The episode treated Britta's relationship as an addiction. It definitely did not have her looking good and they concluded that this guy's hold over Britta was due to his total lack of shame. The worse Britta thought he was treating her, the more she wanted him.

Of course, that lead to an episode that tried to pair Britta and Troy, which was just an excuse to focus on Annie and Abed, which turned into a focus on Abed.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 06:22 AM   #858
tighr
Commodore

Easter egg from the L&O episode:

https://twitter.com/#!/danharmon/sta...68333925388288
Old May 3 2012, 06:26 AM   #859
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I don't get it.
Old May 3 2012, 06:32 AM   #860
Yoda
Rear Admiral

A chick comes out of the door, wiping her mouth, and the guy right after is coming out zipping his fly.
Old May 5 2012, 08:04 AM   #861
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

What did everyone think of the latest episode, "Course Listing Unavailable"? I thought it was a "B" — it wasn't a great episode, but it had some highlights and tied parts of the story along as we head into the last four episodes of the season.

The Starburns stuff was OK, but it was really pushed aside for other elements. Perhaps it's a fitting end for a tertiary character who only wanted to be known as Alex (and to have a sort of "Breaking Bad" thing going on).

I think the highlight was toward the end as the study group revisited the multiple timeline theory from "Remedial Chaos Theory." Good stuff, and I think the current timeline actually ended up getting the best of all the highlights of that episode (in terms of relationship developments), but there was no "Roxanne."

The whole stuff with Chang is not the greatest, especially with his goon squad of children. I'm still blown away by the differences of Chang from season one to now. Let's just say he "Chang-ed" a lot since then, and not for better.
Old May 5 2012, 08:24 AM   #862
tighr
Commodore

I liked how the study group went through the five stages of grief throughout the episode. It's subtle, but it was there. I like how the writers are so aware of these types of details.
Old May 5 2012, 03:20 PM   #863
shivkala
Rear Admiral

There were some really good moments. I loved the bit with Abed and Troy talking about the one-armed lawyer. Really great character moment with Troy getting excited, then freaked out at how much of the guy's arm was missing, with Abed, being literal as usual, and telling Troy it was the other arm.

I also loved:
Dean: "Ben, how's it Deaning?"
Ben: "Can't com-Chang."

The ending was weird in how simple and almost happy it was (the pre-credits ending).

On that note, is anyone else sick of "Do you have a sense of community? Then you can probably sense that there's more Community coming up." Such a lame pun.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old May 5 2012, 03:46 PM   #864
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
There were some really good moments. I loved the bit with Abed and Troy talking about the one-armed lawyer.
A one-armed lawyer, you say?

Right arm too.
Old May 6 2012, 03:34 AM   #865
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Oh, I'd forgotten that.

Consider my mind blown...
Old May 6 2012, 05:47 PM   #866
Anwar
Vice Admiral

How many episodes are left in the season?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2012, 09:08 PM   #867
tighr
Commodore

There's an episode this week, and then next week there are 3 new episodes in the same night, apparently as part of a 3-parter. So 4 episodes over the next two weeks.
Old May 7 2012, 12:37 AM   #868
shivkala
Rear Admiral

This week we get the season finales of The Office and Parks and Recreation[/b]. Then, as [b]tighr said we get the three-part season finale of Community all on the same night, May 17th. 30 Rock also has its season finale on the 17th.
Old May 7 2012, 11:45 PM   #869
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm guessing that the one-armed lawyer was indeed a wink to the fans, but I really doubt it'll be followed up on. Instead, I think Starburns is said lawyer, having faked his death, shaved his starburns and is now lving as a meth lord uptown.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 01:18 AM   #870
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Community is renewed for a fourth season! The initial order is for 13 episodes.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote