RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,552
Posts: 5,513,623
Members: 25,145
Currently online: 637
Newest member: Running Wolf

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 3 2012, 03:35 AM   #31
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

Speaking of Bester, I can't believe no one has mentioned Alfred Bester's 2 great classics: The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.

I also really liked Robert Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. (Imagine an Ayn Rand novel in outer space, but with shorter political rants.)

All of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's books are great.

BrentMc wrote: View Post
I am also a big Michael Crichton fan. His stuff may not be quite the same kind of SCI-FI your are talking about. He may be more in the science based thriller category. His books are really fun to read and he has been a big influence in my life.
I've only read one of his books, Rising Sun, and that's more of a straight-up murder mystery than sci-fi. But it was a helluva lot of fun! I've never read another author who was as engaging and whose prose was so thoroughly readable. I breezed through it as if it were a book less than half as long.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 03:44 AM   #32
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Speaking of Bester, I can't believe no one has mentioned Alfred Bester's 2 great classics: The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.

I also really liked Robert Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. (Imagine an Ayn Rand novel in outer space, but with shorter political rants.)
Who do you think the Babylon 5 character was named after?

I absolutely LOVE The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. I've read and re-read my copy until it's nearly falling apart - time to replace it so I can read it some more! Of all the Heinlein novels I've read, this is the one I've most wished could have been made into a movie. A friend and I used to spend a lot of forum conversations (on another board) "casting" it...
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 04:21 AM   #33
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

jstern2 wrote: View Post
Are there any really good Firefly- or BSG-esque books that are less science-fictiony and more about just great drama that happens to occur in a spaceship setting?

Or to make another comparison is there a novel that does for spaceships what Zone One did for zombies?
I'm not sure what you mean by "science-fiction-y." Are you saying you're looking for science fiction stories that focus on characterization rather than the science fiction aspects of the setting?
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 01:02 PM   #34
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

If you are looking for Space Fantasy try Star wars books.

I recommand the Thrawn Trilogy for start.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 01:07 PM   #35
backstept
Rear Admiral
 
backstept's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse
View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy and Blindsight
one thing to note: Feedbooks has the second and third Rifters books labeled wrong . . . Maelstrom is #2 and Behemoth is #3

Arthur C Clarke's The City and the Stars was great
__________________
| Hi I'm Gauis Blatar lol
| backstept.blogspot.com | about.me
backstept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 05:38 PM   #36
jstern2
Ensign
 
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

Sci wrote: View Post
jstern2 wrote: View Post
Are there any really good Firefly- or BSG-esque books that are less science-fictiony and more about just great drama that happens to occur in a spaceship setting?

Or to make another comparison is there a novel that does for spaceships what Zone One did for zombies?
I'm not sure what you mean by "science-fiction-y." Are you saying you're looking for science fiction stories that focus on characterization rather than the science fiction aspects of the setting?
Pretty much. I've been searching for a couple days now and it's interesting how hard it is to find a novel that's just about humans in space - no aliens, no technobabble, etc. - just great characters in a tense setting in space.
__________________
Formerly kickinitoldschool
jstern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 05:54 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

^Well, if you're not interested in the speculative elements, why do you want it to be in space at all?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 06:16 PM   #38
jstern2
Ensign
 
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, if you're not interested in the speculative elements, why do you want it to be in space at all?
I'm interested in the speculative elements, but in the same way that Firefly or BSG are. There are still sci-fi elements, but they aren't necessarily at the forefront of what the story is about.
__________________
Formerly kickinitoldschool
jstern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 06:21 PM   #39
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander
 
hbquikcomjamesl's Avatar
 
Location: Orange County, CA
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

I recommend anything and everything in Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth milieu.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 06:27 PM   #40
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

jstern2 wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
jstern2 wrote: View Post
Are there any really good Firefly- or BSG-esque books that are less science-fictiony and more about just great drama that happens to occur in a spaceship setting?

Or to make another comparison is there a novel that does for spaceships what Zone One did for zombies?
I'm not sure what you mean by "science-fiction-y." Are you saying you're looking for science fiction stories that focus on characterization rather than the science fiction aspects of the setting?
Pretty much. I've been searching for a couple days now and it's interesting how hard it is to find a novel that's just about humans in space - no aliens, no technobabble, etc. - just great characters in a tense setting in space.
I'd recommend picking up Robert J. Sawyer's Starplex.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 08:10 PM   #41
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

jstern2 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, if you're not interested in the speculative elements, why do you want it to be in space at all?
I'm interested in the speculative elements, but in the same way that Firefly or BSG are. There are still sci-fi elements, but they aren't necessarily at the forefront of what the story is about.
I'm still thinking Chindi here....
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 02:58 AM   #42
rahullak
Fleet Captain
 
rahullak's Avatar
 
Location: India
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

Don't know if this has already been recommended but, Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is a good one. Also Hitchhiker's Guide series.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 08:51 AM   #43
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

I was turning this question over in my head (again) and remembered that the early Shadowrun novels were really good.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 04:05 PM   #44
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

I've not read it, but Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is quite well-respected. So is The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. There is also the Uplift series by David Brin, and the Culture series by Iain Banks.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2012, 12:18 AM   #45
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Non Trek scfi novels?

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
I recommend anything and everything in Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth milieu.
Definitely. The Pip and Flinx books are terrific, and if you enjoy a bit of creepy-scary stuff, I recommend Midworld and Mid-Flinx.

At least they scared the crap out of me; I've never looked at flowers the same way since...


Some of the Heinlein juveniles are pretty good. Yes, science does figure into some of them, but it's not the technobabble crap. Heinlein's science was either based on already-known principles or at least plausible extrapolations of known principles. One of my favorites is Citizen of the Galaxy. And while Farmer in the Sky is technically obsolete (based on what we now know about Jupiter and its moons), it's still a good story.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.