Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 3 2012, 07:16 PM   #121
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

1001001 wrote: View Post
How about some respect for Jered Weaver, who pitched a no -hitter yesterday?

A bright spot in an otherwsie dismal start to the season.

Great game by Weaver.

The way the Twins are batting this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more no-hitters thrown against them.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 02:38 AM   #122
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Crap. Yankees are playing the Royals, and (as I live in Royals territory) I'm blacked out from watching it live on MLB.TV...

...so I gotta listen to John Sterling on the radio feed.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 03:51 AM   #123
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

You don't have a television?
Old May 4 2012, 06:11 AM   #124
Skywalker
Admiral

Mariano Rivera may have torn ACL during BP, could be done for the year. If the tear's confirmed, he may be done for his career, too. If so, what a way to go out.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 10:16 AM   #125
Aragorn
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Crap. Yankees are playing the Royals, and (as I live in Royals territory) I'm blacked out from watching it live on MLB.TV...

...so I gotta listen to John Sterling on the radio feed.
It's mono radio... for Mr. Laser Beam... internet is blacked out... tttthhhhheeeee internet is blacked out!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:00 AM   #126
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Dammit

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You don't have a television?
Not cable TV, no. I got rid of cable a year ago.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; May 4 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old May 4 2012, 11:32 AM   #127
Scout101
Admiral

Stupid MLB.TV blackout rules, left over from times that don't really apply anymore. If your credit card (not your physical location at the time) is in the home market area, you can't watch that game.

This is great if you move and still want to watch your old team, or are just a junkie that wants to watch it all.

For MOST people, this disqualifies them from watching the product. If it was available to watch on your flat screen HDTV, you wouldn't watch on your iPad, or phone, or laptop. Unless you weren't home, in which case they aren't losing your eyeballs from the TV feed anyway.

I've wanted this for when I'm on vacation, or traveling for work, etc. Whenever I'm not able to watch on TV. But my credit card is always in my team's home market area, so I'm blocked out from actually using it for the only thing it would be useful for...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:34 AM   #128
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
If your credit card (not your physical location at the time) is in the home market area
Actually they go by IP address, not credit card.
Old May 4 2012, 02:24 PM   #129
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Mariano Rivera may have torn ACL during BP, could be done for the year. If the tear's confirmed, he may be done for his career, too. If so, what a way to go out.
Major bummer. Hate the Yankees with the fire of a thousand suns, but Rivera deserved to go out better than this. He's a quiet, humble guy who went out there and did his job every day, and it's impossible to hate on that.

Some fun Mariano Rivera facts, if indeed his career is over as it almost certainly is (ACL at age 42 ... yeah, that's not good):

- He'll retire with a 206 ERA+, best all-time. Granted, he did it in 1219 innings, but he's got a 52-point lead over Pedro Martinez, the next highest pitcher, and a 59-point lead over Hoyt Wilhelm, the next highest reliever.

- He'll retire with a career average of 6.9 hits per nine innings, good for 5th all-time.

- He and Addie Joss are the only two pitchers to retire with a career WHIP of < 1.00.

-Everything in this gray box:

- And he did it all with one goddamned pitch.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 09:58 PM   #130
Skywalker
Admiral

I hate the Yankees, too, but Rivera's still one of my favorite players. It's hard not to like and respect the guy.

Apparently Rivera has said that he doesn't want to go out like this and he's going to try and come back. I wish him luck, but y'know, maybe an injury like this is kind of a sign that it's time to call it quits...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 10:40 PM   #131
Alidar Jarok

The thing is, he doesn't need to do anything to be great. No one is going to hold it against him that he ended this way. If he thinks he can come back, he should consider it, but he'd still retire with distinction either way.
Old May 4 2012, 10:51 PM   #132
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Mo said this to reporters today:

"I'm coming back. Write it down in big letters. I'm not going out like this." Linky

Edit: In the wake of Adam Yauch's death, all of the Mets are using Beastie Boys songs as entrance music for tonight's game...

...and in NYY/KC: John Sterling, PLEASE stop calling Jeff Francoeur "Francona."

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; May 5 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old May 8 2012, 05:25 PM   #133
Alidar Jarok

Do people have any thoughts on Cole Hamels's suspension?

I'm perhaps too biased, but I can't see the big deal. He didn't peg him in the head. The Nats hit him back. He was stupid for admitting it, but I assume that's not what the punishment is supposed to be for.
Old May 8 2012, 05:29 PM   #134
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Hamels was just being a dick. The problem wasn't that he hit Harper (although I don't know why he did that). The problem is that he admitted it. You just don't do that, no matter how intentional it was.
Old May 8 2012, 07:41 PM   #135
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I have no problem with what Cole Hamels did, he was just stupid to admit it. He should be concerned about hitting someone in the future with a bit of a temper, they may think it was done on purpose and we get a bench clearing brawl.

On that note, as long as the pitcher doesn't go after your head, intentionally or un-intentionally. I find the whole charging the mound dumb. Just like Bryce Harper did, you get them back on the field. Bryce's stealing home and being safe made Cole look more foolish then any amount of retaliation, now if the Nationals would have won the game.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote