Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 1 2012, 04:55 PM   #4051
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

This week: Action, World's Finest, Earth 2. I'll start picking up Batwing again once the Court of Owls stuff is over and, hopefully, the character gets back to the setting that makes the title unique.
Old May 1 2012, 09:33 PM   #4052
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I forgot GI Combat is out this week, too, so ... that.
Old May 2 2012, 12:43 AM   #4053
scnj
Captain

I'm super excited to read Dial H. I love China Mieville's novels.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 01:33 AM   #4054
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I did finish up last weeks books with:

Justice League Dark #8 - part 3 of the I,Vampire crossover about the first evil, Cain, coming to take over things. Am I to understand now that Shade is gone? Not dead I guess but he's with his girlfriend who is dead so he's where? Having Constantine trying to talk Andrew into coming back was a nice bit of dialouge as was Zatanna's remark to the "wait, who you calling a sidekick?" The art remains wonderful for the book!!

I, Vampire #8 - all that talking by John got through to him cause the first page has Andrew back from limbo/hell answering Constantine's question, "I guess I do have some fight left in me". Again, the art in this book is equally well done still. Now, Andrew comes back with some new powers, one of which seems to be a memory wipe. He makes a vocal command for this event(vampire invasion in Gotham) and records of it forgotten. He must've buddied up to Mephisto while he was there. Him taking over the vampire army upon defeating Cain was a unique approach to ending the event. I admit I didn't see it coming. Wondering if we'll see this Order of VanHelsing as mentioned in the closing of the issue by the real "sidekicks", whose names escape me.
Now I'm very new to Andrew and Mary. I,Vampire was one of the titles I tired brand new in the spirit of this nu52 event. Why is Mary light blue? Are those red swirls on her body tattoos or something else?

Aquaman #8 - a decent issue but a step down from the rest so far. Guess John's was taking a breather on this one. Help me, was all the issue told in the past? We were 6yrs ago, then 1yr later--so 5yrs ago and the issue ends. We never jump back to the present do we, right? This was a fill-in-the blanks issue with backstory for sure. It was a good read just a bit slow on actual fun moments.

So for tomorrow:
Animal Man #9 - which I will drop soon
Swamp Thing #9 - the real thing saving AM at this point
X-O ManOWar #1 - Valiant returns!!
no Marvel, IDW, Image, light week for me unless something surprises me.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 08:46 PM   #4055
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Picked up Earth 2 today. Somewhat middling. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything groundbreaking either. It was really nothing but pure back story primarily focusing on characters that seemingly won't appear after this issue; something that would have been serviced better being in an annual or a 0 issue (like how Marvel use to do with their mini-series back in the later 90s/early 00s). Then again, perhaps that was the point.

There is something I'm a bit fuzzy on. Is Earth 2 an ongoing series? Or a limited series (like The Shade). I've seen it called both from various sources.
Old May 2 2012, 08:50 PM   #4056
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, DC's got me interested in and buying comics for the first time in ages. I sure don't miss that which I couldn't be bothered with before.

Looking forward to Earth 2 this evening. Gee, Supes isn't wearing a red Speedo over there, either.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:02 PM   #4057
indianatrekker26
Captain

BleedingCool.com claim to have received word that there'll be another change in the creative team controlling the "Superman" comic book title after the up-coming Zero issue taking place in September.
Note: All the original New 52 titles will get a issue 0 in September, telling year one stories, with regular numbering returning in October.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:15 PM   #4058
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Looking forward to Earth 2 this evening. Gee, Supes isn't wearing a red Speedo over there, either.
Nope, but oddly enough, he's got himself a WWE Championship Belt. Earth 2 is a strange place indeed.

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
BleedingCool.com claim to have received word that there'll be another change in the creative team controlling the "Superman" comic book title after the up-coming Zero issue taking place in September.
Note: All the original New 52 titles will get a issue 0 in September, telling year one stories, with regular numbering returning in October.
I wonder if that is meant to be permanent, or just temporary as I seem to remember that the Super-books were going to have a crossover in the near future (where Supes meets his clone) and Lobell seems to be the crossover guy where his books are concerned. I'd be disappointed if Jurgens leaves. I've liked his two issues thus far and his take on Superman (in terms of art), is the definitive Superman to me.
Old May 2 2012, 09:23 PM   #4059
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The main thing about that costume is that...

JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:23 PM   #4060
davejames
Vice Admiral

It would be nice if they found a team who could actually do something interesting and new with the character. Besides just change his costume and tell stories from the 80s all over again.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:25 PM   #4061
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Nope, but oddly enough, he's got himself a WWE Championship Belt. Earth 2 is a strange place indeed.
The design art for the character features a cape design similar to the one on the current main universe Superman - coming to a point at the back rather than hemmed straight across. In fact the Earth 2 costume looks generally like a more traditionally comic book version of the Lee outfit - tights instead of armor but the similar cape, red belt rather than the Speedo, etc.

The picture of Jay Garrett is...not traditional. Wonder what Alan Scott will be like?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:49 PM   #4062
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I liked Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest (the latter is probably better), but I'm wondering how Jay and Joan had time to finish a college degree and look for work while the world was suffering through total war with Apokolips. Michigan looks pretty untouched by the universal conflict. (I mean, I get why Apokolips wouldn't bother with Detroit - the car industry kinda already did the end of the world there.)
Old May 2 2012, 09:53 PM   #4063
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
I liked Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest (the latter is probably better), but I'm wondering how Jay and Joan had time to finish a college degree and look for work while the world was suffering through total war with Apokolips. Michigan looks pretty untouched by the universal conflict. (I mean, I get why Apokolips wouldn't bother with Detroit - the car industry kinda already did the end of the world there.)
The war finished two years before they went to college.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 09:55 PM   #4064
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I am just not reading these things closely enough on Comixology, I think.

I guess I always think it's an oddity of the modern superhero genre that things always recover so fast; not just cities and physical space, but attitudes. It's happened after every Crisis and it happens here. If the war was five years ago and places like Metropolis and Italy were completely destroyed - Superman says his city is dead - then the infrastructure was in place for Jay and Joan to start college within two years.

People went on about 9/11 for years, and that was three events on one day. Does it seem reasonable to set up an apocalyptic event, following which society looks exactly as it did the day before that even started?
Old May 2 2012, 11:10 PM   #4065
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Issue #1 for all of the titles in the "First Wave" are now $0.99 on Comixology.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote