RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 476
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 2 2012, 12:02 AM   #76
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's not just the appearance of the word...

1) Batman is pulling his boner in public.
2) The Joker is trying to force Batman into a boner.
Yes, and considering the context of the time and use of the word "boner" is being used as an "error" or "mistake" it's not very funny, is it? All people who find that funny are doing is seeing "boner" thinking "erection" and then giggling like a middle-school kid.

I see the word, know the context and don't find it humorous because, well, I know what it's talking about.
Old May 2 2012, 12:02 AM   #77
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Yes, and considering the context of the time and use of the word "boner" is being used as an "error" or "mistake" it's not very funny, is it? All people who find that funny are doing is seeing "boner" thinking "erection" and then giggling like a middle-school kid.

I see the word, know the context and don't find it humorous because, well, I know what it's talking about.
It's funny.
Old May 2 2012, 12:04 AM   #78
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Yes, and considering the context of the time and use of the word "boner" is being used as an "error" or "mistake" it's not very funny, is it?
So. Double entendres. For or against?
Old May 2 2012, 12:07 AM   #79
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Different strokes. (Ha! Ha! Ha! He said "strokes" in the same conversation about boners!)

As I said I see the word, I know what it means and the time it was being used and don't find the use funny. Again, it's just giggling at a word or even it's use in a sentence.

But, I don't find the idea of boners or their use being funny in pretty much any situation, so...

Funnier to me when a panel is taken out of context not because of the words in it and their current meaning but just that its an odd panel out of context.

(Seriously, what IS the story behind Batman's teeth marks inside a thong?! And why does Robin sleep in the same bed as Batman given that they live in a mansion! Was a pre-teen boy sleeping in the same bed as an adult man ever considered okay?!)

Double entendres can be funny but, again, that's something a bit different than what's any these panels. They weren't made to be double entendres they were made because "boner" means a mistake and didn't mean erection when the comics were made. It was an acceptable use of the word (otherwise I'm guessing the CCA would've had a shit-fit.) Double entendres are intentionally mis-using words to be suggestive. You're meant to read more into in order to "see the funny." Just like "That's what she said!" jokes.

This? This is Batman, Gordon, Joker, whoever using a word that means/meant "mistake." People are giggling over the word boner. It's been a while since I giggled over the use of a single word taken out of context.
Old May 2 2012, 12:11 AM   #80
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Yes, and considering the context of the time and use of the word "boner" is being used as an "error" or "mistake" it's not very funny, is it?
Yes, it is. In the context of the present.

That's kind of the whole idea.

Obviously it doesn't mean the same thing in the context of the time they were published, or else they never would have been published. It would have been quite scandalous.

Trekker4747 wrote:
All people who find that funny are doing is seeing "boner" thinking "erection" and then giggling like a middle-school kid.
No, there's an entire narrative going on that ties into the thread topic. ( Some boner panels that only make sense with the original definition were skipped. ) Oh, and the Joker has an inadequate penis.
Old May 2 2012, 12:14 AM   #81
Aeolusdallas
Captain

You are being pedantic. It's funny
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 12:17 AM   #82
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Kegg wrote: View Post
What's funny is despite Trekkers argument it would have been a double entendre even then.
Old May 2 2012, 12:24 AM   #83
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

(Seriously, what IS the story behind Batman's teeth marks inside a thong?! And why does Robin sleep in the same bed as Batman given that they live in a mansion! Was a pre-teen boy sleeping in the same bed as an adult man ever considered okay?!)
Fun fact: "thong" can also mean "sandal." Not sure from the image what Robin's holding though.

It was probably considered okay iif it's the boy and his father (if adoptive in this case).
Old May 3 2012, 02:27 AM   #84
JD
Admiral

I find all three of the comic panels/series of panels pretty funny when taken out of context. Does anyone here know the story behind the teeth marks in the thong? Because no matter how that word was used, that seems a little odd. And the two guys/one bed thing, because no matter how you look at it that one is a little odd too.
Old May 3 2012, 03:15 AM   #85
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I find all three of the comic panels/series of panels pretty funny when taken out of context. Does anyone here know the story behind the teeth marks in the thong? Because no matter how that word was used, that seems a little odd. And the two guys/one bed thing, because no matter how you look at it that one is a little odd too.
Don't know the story behind either panel, I could probably research it and find scans or summaries of the comics but I can't see the "thong" one making much sense. (It seems like a one-off line and not part of the story.)

Even if the "thing" in the comic was supposed to be a (leather?!) shoe it still doesn't make sense. It's less gay/sexual perhaps but still sort of odd.

Them sleeping in the bed together? I don't think there's any explanation to that that could make sense. Unless it stormed last night and the teenaged Dick Grayson is afraid of lightning and wanted to sleep in "safe bed" I don't think it'd ever make sense Dick Grayson didn't have his own bedroom or, hell, his own wing of the mansion.

But, nope, the mostly-grown Dick Grayson sleeps in the same bed as a 30-year-old man. In what universe does that even make sense? Or is legal? Or wouldn't result in backlash of Micheal Jackson-ian proportions.
Old May 5 2012, 02:16 PM   #86
beamMe
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Don't know the story behind either panel, I could probably research it and find scans or summaries of the comics but I can't see the "thong" one making much sense. (It seems like a one-off line and not part of the story.)

Even if the "thing" in the comic was supposed to be a (leather?!) shoe it still doesn't make sense. It's less gay/sexual perhaps but still sort of odd.

Them sleeping in the bed together? I don't think there's any explanation to that that could make sense. Unless it stormed last night and the teenaged Dick Grayson is afraid of lightning and wanted to sleep in "safe bed" I don't think it'd ever make sense Dick Grayson didn't have his own bedroom or, hell, his own wing of the mansion.

But, nope, the mostly-grown Dick Grayson sleeps in the same bed as a 30-year-old man. In what universe does that even make sense? Or is legal? Or wouldn't result in backlash of Micheal Jackson-ian proportions.
Read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and you might better understand and appreciate the intend behind these images.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:47 PM   #87
Avalon
Captain

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Fun fact: "thong" can also mean "sandal." Not sure from the image what Robin's holding though.
It can also mean a leather tie, or binding. It would make sense if Bats had used his teeth to get them out of a situation where they were tied up by a villain.
Old May 5 2012, 07:54 PM   #88
Lonemagpie
Writer

A leather thong is a sort of leather lace or rope used for tying stuff...

Also, I don't think Bruce and Dick are actually meant to be in the same bed in that pic - it's just bad colouring that makes it look that way. The fact that there are two headboards, and a straight line in the middle that's meant to be the edge of a mattress shows that it's meant to be twin beds next to each other. But because the colourist has put both mattresses as one block of white...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 08:40 PM   #89
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Also, I don't think Bruce and Dick are actually meant to be in the same bed in that pic - it's just bad colouring that makes it look that way. The fact that there are two headboards, and a straight line in the middle that's meant to be the edge of a mattress shows that it's meant to be twin beds next to each other. But because the colourist has put both mattresses as one block of white...
Two twin beds pushed together isn't any better.
Old May 5 2012, 08:55 PM   #90
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Two twin beds pushed together isn't any better.
Just what I was getting ready to say. It's shoddy art as the headboard and such of Dick's bed doesn't quite line-up with his mattress (but I guess it could be like one of those hotel headboards that aren't part of the bed but part of the wall) but either way Dick's bed is clearly butt-up against Bruce's bed so they're effectively "one bed." And even if they were two separate beds not right next to one another it still doesn't make sense because that's how married couples in old sitcoms sleep together.

It's a mansion why doesn't Dick have his own room?!