RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,219
Posts: 5,405,174
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 491
Newest member: jeb1138

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 1 2012, 01:03 PM   #3406
Jefferies
Captain
 
Jefferies's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
However, this shot looks awful:
http://www.thehdroom.com/images/news/10647e.jpg
What's going on there?
Yeah no idea what's happened to this shot. Looks like it's all out of focus, both the fore and background.
Jefferies is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 02:04 PM   #3407
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Great stuff, some really cleans shot there. Nice to see the Angel One matte painting holds up well in HD.

However, this shot looks awful:
http://www.thehdroom.com/images/news/10647e.jpg
What's going on there?
Possibly the original shot was zoomed footage? (As with one shot in EaF.) The shot in the episode in SD is painfully blurry too, so it's not an oddity that's showing up for the first time here. ...Just that's it's more obvious now.
Tosk is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 06:15 PM   #3408
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Timo47 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
With this level of detail, you can see the the registry number on the saucer is backwards! Wonder if it's too late to do anything about that...
Yeah, noticed that too. Unfortunately, they'd have to replace the miniature shot with their CG model, which I'd be against.

It looks like back in '88 they composited it over the ILM starbase interior plate (which in the film is the reverse of how it appears here) and then during the edit, decided to flop the completed shot to avoid breaking the 180° rule to keep the Enterprise traveling in the same direction (i.e. right to left).
Thanks for your 16:9 versions. How did you create these?
I compared them with the TSFS screencaps at Trekcore and the new TNG BR ones are clearly superior. The first 2 of the Enterprise approaching the starbase are much charper and retain a lot more detail. The movie version is softer.

But what really surprised me is comparing the flipped shot you mentioned above:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0159.jpg

In the movie the entire startbase has a greenish tint while the TNG BR version shows lots of details, red and black markings on the starbase model. Clearly, there's a lot of room for improvement with the movies.
The movie starbase is softer and inferior due to the grain scrubbing digital cleanups of the movies. If only CBS did the movie blurays! Paramount just did a half assed cheapo effort and maximised profits..
Flake is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 09:22 PM   #3409
Joe_Atari
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Tosk wrote: View Post
Start Wreck wrote: View Post
However, this shot looks awful:
http://www.thehdroom.com/images/news/10647e.jpg
What's going on there?
Possibly the original shot was zoomed footage? (As with one shot in EaF.) The shot in the episode in SD is painfully blurry too, so it's not an oddity that's showing up for the first time here. ...Just that's it's more obvious now.
Isn't this the one shot in "The Last Outpost" that was done in 2.35:1 anamorphic and then electronically panned and scanned to create the landscape reveal to the left later in the shot -- the same technique used to create 4:3 versions of 2.35:1 anamorphic films? I guess this was a clever budget-saver at the time but maybe they couldn't find the original Scope elements for this one shot and had to upconvert the video. If so wouldn't this be a strange choice of still to release to tease the upcoming Blu-ray?
Joe_Atari is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 09:47 PM   #3410
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Isn't this the one shot in "The Last Outpost" that was done in 2.35:1 anamorphic and then electronically panned and scanned to create the landscape reveal to the left later in the shot -- the same technique used to create 4:3 versions of 2.35:1 anamorphic films? I guess this was a clever budget-saver at the time but maybe they couldn't find the original Scope elements for this one shot and had to upconvert the video. If so wouldn't this be a strange choice of still to release to tease the upcoming Blu-ray?
You're correct about it being anamorphically filmed... and its relative softness may be because the screenshot was taken in the middle of the electronic pan and therefore has added motion blur. It definitely has more apparent detail than the DVD and surely the analog 1-inch tape source.

There's a similarly filmed shot in "The Battle" when Picard is having his vivid dream of losing the Stargazer in his quarters.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 09:50 PM   #3411
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Kinda surprised they didn't redo the fancy starfield shot from Where No Man, and make the nebulas a little more detailed and sophisticated.

It looks like the exact same shot as before.
davejames is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 10:01 PM   #3412
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Timo47 wrote: View Post
Thanks for your 16:9 versions. How did you create these?
I compared them with the TSFS screencaps at Trekcore and the new TNG BR ones are clearly superior. The first 2 of the Enterprise approaching the starbase are much charper and retain a lot more detail. The movie version is softer.

In the movie the entire startbase has a greenish tint while the TNG BR version shows lots of details, red and black markings on the starbase model.
A couple hours in Photoshop using the STIII screencaps you mention coupled with the clone stamp tool. It took a bit longer than I thought it would and as you say, there was a fair amount of color/contrast correction on the STIII pieces I used. Looking back, I should've added matched grain to the STIII stuff, but oh well... it looks okay. Glad you like them!
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 10:06 PM   #3413
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

davejames wrote: View Post
Kinda surprised they didn't redo the fancy starfield shot from Where No Man, and make the nebulas a little more detailed and sophisticated.

It looks like the exact same shot as before.
I think their philosophy is, if the element still exists and it's high resolution, they're going to use it. The upside is, the show will be finished faster that way. I'm all for it.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 10:28 PM   #3414
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

davejames wrote: View Post
Kinda surprised they didn't redo the fancy starfield shot from Where No Man, and make the nebulas a little more detailed and sophisticated.

It looks like the exact same shot as before.
I think that's the point.
groundhog is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 10:43 PM   #3415
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I'm shocked at how they can duplicate these shots that are on Trekmovie so closely to the originals!!

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline  
Old May 1 2012, 11:16 PM   #3416
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

groundhog wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Kinda surprised they didn't redo the fancy starfield shot from Where No Man, and make the nebulas a little more detailed and sophisticated.

It looks like the exact same shot as before.
I think that's the point.
Well yeah, but they greatly improved the Crystalline Entity effect while still keeping it essentially the "same shot". I was just hoping for the same kind of thing here.
davejames is offline  
Old May 2 2012, 12:05 AM   #3417
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

RAMA wrote: View Post
I'm shocked at how they can duplicate these shots that are on Trekmovie so closely to the originals!!
In fact, of the 23 new shots, only the sun from "The Naked Now" and the phaser beams in "Too Short a Season" are new effects! Everything else is original elements, re-comped.

davejames wrote: View Post
Well yeah, but they greatly improved the Crystalline Entity effect while still keeping it essentially the "same shot". I was just hoping for the same kind of thing here.
The Crystalline Entity effect was originally rendered in standard definition, so it required a new effect. The stuff in "Where No One Has Gone Before" was apparently still around and in high enough quality to re-use.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old May 2 2012, 01:53 AM   #3418
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
In fact, of the 23 new shots, only the sun from "The Naked Now" and the phaser beams in "Too Short a Season" are new effects! Everything else is original elements, re-comped.

Are you sure about that scene with the Tsiolkovsky? I ask because in the HD shot, you can clearly see the ship's registry number on the rear of the secondary hull (NCC-53911), but when the ship hits the star fragment and explodes, the registry number is only three digits. So either a) the two ships in that scene are CGI as well, b) they're the original model shots but with a new registry number digitally placed on the hull, or c) they're the original model shots and the 53911 number was always there...which would not explain why the number changes later
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old May 2 2012, 02:30 AM   #3419
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
In fact, of the 23 new shots, only the sun from "The Naked Now" and the phaser beams in "Too Short a Season" are new effects! Everything else is original elements, re-comped.

Are you sure about that scene with the Tsiolkovsky? I ask because in the HD shot, you can clearly see the ship's registry number on the rear of the secondary hull (NCC-53911), but when the ship hits the star fragment and explodes, the registry number is only three digits. So either a) the two ships in that scene are CGI as well, b) they're the original model shots but with a new registry number digitally placed on the hull, or c) they're the original model shots and the 53911 number was always there...which would not explain why the number changes later
Perhaps Legato an co. began filming with the miniature out of sequence before they remembered to modify the original Grissom registry (NCC-638)? I guess we'll know in July when we see the shot of the Tsiolkovsky explode. If it says NCC-638, then they goofed backed in '87.

And as you suggest, it wouldn't be that hard to track-in and replace the registry in the final shot. But I'm pretty sure that ship with the Enterprise is the ILM Grissom miniature.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline  
Old May 2 2012, 05:20 AM   #3420
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander
 
gaghyogi49's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I don't think the sun from "The naked now" is a new effect, as the black sun spots in the original episode and the HD screenshot are a perfect match. The sky in the Delphi Ardu shot (from "The last outpost"), however, is new. Also, the Relva VII matte painting shot is a little different. While no CG elements have been added, the shot of the small shuttle drone is different in the original episode. It seems the footage is identical to the footage of the drone in "11001001", only mirrored. In the original episode, different footage of the drone is seen.
gaghyogi49 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.