IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 30 2012, 05:09 AM   #826
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Fox Promises Prometheus Will Remain Uncut Even If It Gets An R Rating

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/04/27...s-an-r-rating/
Nice.
Fapworthy news. And even better trailer!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 05:10 AM   #827
Mike Farley
Commodore

Watch them stumble over themselves to cut it if it gets a NC-17.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 06:18 AM   #828
JD
Admiral

Wow, that last trailer left me speechless. I think I might be willing to see this by myself if it comes to that, and I absolutely hate seeing movies by myself.
And after that trailer I would be shocked if this doesn't get an R, because that looks incredibly intense.
Old April 30 2012, 06:24 AM   #829
RAMA
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Really liking the look of this film...glad to see Ridley isn't a slave to his past.

RAMA
I really like the sleeker style and design, but I still hope he keeps the same slow-build, documentary-style approach with the directing that we saw in the first Alien.

That's always been my favorite aspect of that movie, and I'd hate to lose it.

I like that style of storytelling, I just hate the alien "designer look" that so many movies tried to copy, even decades later. I'm happy he didn't copy himself in that way.
Old April 30 2012, 03:07 PM   #830
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Everything new thing I see about this movie makes me want to see it more. This is the sci-fi movie I've been waiting on for years--then again Alien is one of my top 5 favorite movies. The look and the feel just seems right; this is a "universe" I want to know more about. Means no matter how great it is, it'll be disappointing
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 03:35 PM   #831
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well that made it pretty damn clear that there's an alien-style threat in this movie, even if it's not the xenomorph itself.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 04:03 PM   #832
RoJoHen
Awesome

Maybe not a xenomorph as we know them, but I'm getting the feeling that we will be seeing the first incarnation of the facehuggers.
Old April 30 2012, 04:05 PM   #833
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Well that made it pretty damn clear that there's an alien-style threat in this movie, even if it's not the xenomorph itself.
I thought this was a sidequel of sorts to Alien? I know we get to see more of the space-jockey race (and I get a strong Larry Niven vibe from those guys) and they're looking like the bag guys in this one--so far. And it looks a variant form of the Xenomorph eggs and embryos. Maybe the Jockeys bio-engineered the 'morphs?
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 08:53 PM   #834
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Fox Promises Prometheus Will Remain Uncut Even If It Gets An R Rating

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/04/27...s-an-r-rating/
Nice.
Fapworthy news. And even better trailer!
The trailer looks awesome, but it should be noted the FOX executive's comments are very disingenuous. Yes, it's true they won't cut any material to obtain a PG-13 rating. However, Scott originally requested a $250 million budget and an R-rating before filming. FOX said they couldn't give him that much money unless he made it more family-friendly, therefore he filmed Prometheus with two cuts in mind. Anybody who can read between the lines will deduce that Ridley Scott probably filmed the movie to meet PG-13 specifications rather than an R that would possibly be cut.
Old May 1 2012, 04:36 AM   #835
JD
Admiral

And if it does end up PG-13 in the theaters, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they did an R rated director's cut DVD and/or Blu-Ray.
Old May 1 2012, 06:54 AM   #836
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

We'll see. They're claiming we won't see any "director's cut" with any additional adult content. I believe a PG-13 to be a near-certainty at this point though ... based on the most recent interview. It seems like the fan backlash is forcing the studio to run damage control, but there can be no illusion about the MPAA system. If the CEO has seen the cut, he knows what rating the movie will receive. If this picture were going to receive an R-rating it would be very evident from minute one due to the strict rules governing how many curse words can be in the film, how much gore, sex, nudity, etc.
Old May 1 2012, 08:47 PM   #837
nvek86
Commander

Trubinator wrote: View Post
The trailer looks awesome, but it should be noted the FOX executive's comments are very disingenuous. Yes, it's true they won't cut any material to obtain a PG-13 rating. However, Scott originally requested a $250 million budget and an R-rating before filming. FOX said they couldn't give him that much money unless he made it more family-friendly, therefore he filmed Prometheus with two cuts in mind. Anybody who can read between the lines will deduce that Ridley Scott probably filmed the movie to meet PG-13 specifications rather than an R that would possibly be cut.

As I remember it, he wanted the 250 Mio budget for two prequel films (they were planning to shoot them back to back) and that number has been repeated ever since. I don't think an estimate for the new budget has been published.
Having said that I agree with you that Scott probably tried to shoot for PG-13 (and with some luck prepared an extended cut for DVD/Blu-Ray).
Old May 3 2012, 01:41 AM   #838
roliver
Fleet Captain

Who cares what the rating is. It's just some letters and numbers. Based on the audio clip that Fox released recently (http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/185) I don't think there is much reason to worry about how intense this film is.
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 01:51 AM   #839
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hell, if it's even as creepy and intense as the trailer, that'll be more than enough for me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2012, 02:37 AM   #840
JD
Admiral

So does that mean we won't getting the Charlize Theron's topless pushups? Or at least won't be able to see anything interesting during them.