Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 29 2012, 07:01 AM   #16
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

So, basically, the "brilliant" Grant Morrison is taking the same tack in writing Batman as everyone's most reviled director, Joel Schumacher.

Morrison is a good Superman writer and a shitty Batman writer. This is just one more bit of evidence of that.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 10:55 AM   #18
FredH
Captain

As he specifically states, he doesn't believe the character is literally gay, in-story. He believes the Batman story is gay in outlook.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Wereghost
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I've never bought the idea of Batman being gay for even a second. On the other hand I think the Joker is flaming.
I could almost see the Joker being gay. Do we ever get any indication in the comics that he returns Harley's feelings? I know in most of the stories I've seen in B:TAS and the Arkham game she's obsessing over him, but he seems more interested in screwing (in a non-sexual way) with Batman and the other good guys.
Old April 29 2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Mage
Commodore

SG-17 wrote: View Post
But his relationship with Alfred was that of a son and his adopted father and with Robin a father and his adopted son.

I don't see how people could think otherwise, at least in the modern age of comics.

Because people in general are silly, immature creatures who like to see things that aren't their, and then convince others that it's true to make a point. There really isn't a point to make when you ask them what the point is, as long as it's made.

It's called attention whoring.
Old April 29 2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

shivkala wrote: View Post
And, as of recently, Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman. In fact, Batman Incorporated's first issue implies they have sex before heading out on a mission. At least, that's my interpretation of the scene in which Bruce is lifting weights in his underwear and Selina, also in underwear and a sportsbra (and boots!) straddles him and meows at the idea of having some free time before having to head out.
Allow me... it happened in the Catwoman comic, which is a lot more adult than the rest of the Batman publications lol

M
Old April 29 2012, 11:54 AM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

What he actually said was

“I got interested in the class element of Batman: He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant.

Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that’s why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.”
which is a bit more nuanced than "Batman is a homosexual!!!!"

The class aspects of his statement are more interesting to me.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.”
I don't know.. there was much hanging around with Jezebel Jet.
And a few years before that, that checkmate chick.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
Agenda
Fleet Captain

And then look closely at the bottom right.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 02:24 PM   #25
the G-man
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
What he actually said was

“I got interested in the class element of Batman: He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant.

Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that’s why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.”
which is a bit more nuanced than "Batman is a homosexual!!!!"

The class aspects of his statement are more interesting to me.
So basically Grant Morrison doesn't like Batman. Another reason he is a bad Batman writer.
Old April 29 2012, 02:25 PM   #26
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

How you get "Grant Morrison doesn't like Batman" from that is beyond me.
Old April 29 2012, 05:00 PM   #27
the G-man
Commodore

You really think "He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion" is a statement of admiration for the character?
Old April 29 2012, 06:20 PM   #28
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

No he just pointing out the fundamental contradiction of the character.

In Morrison's run on Batman, Batman mostly beats up rich people anyways.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:07 PM   #29
the G-man
Commodore

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
No he just pointing out the fundamental contradiction of the character....
Except that I have yet to see a single Batman comic in my 40+ years of reading the character's exploits where he's beaten up a junkie. Unless you count Bane.

Yes, he's beaten up muggers, and some of those muggers might be junkies, but he does it to rescue someone, not simply because someone is a drug user. Same thing with "poor people." And when you consider that both Bruce and Batman do a lot for honest poor people the claim becomes even more specious.

So for Morrison to falsely claim that Batman is a character who beats up junkies and poor people is a sign he doesn't like-or understand-the character.

Last edited by the G-man; April 29 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added language about how Morrison's wrong about Batman's treatment of poor people too
Old April 29 2012, 07:27 PM   #30
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Do you take every word so literally?

Anyway if we want to be so anal and literal - he beats up a junkie in a story with Jason Todd, he asks the guy if he's a pusher after kicking in his door and then punches him so hard that he knocks him out (the guy offers no resistance or threat to Batman). It's part of a story-line where Pushers are selling drugs at Todd's school.