Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 28 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Computer hacking or movies where we see innovative use of computers?

hey guys, i really enjoy these types of movies. i really like the scene from Independence Day where one of the characters uses a Mac to 'hack' into the alien's ship. i was just wondering if there were any others out there i should look at.

thanks
Old April 28 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
wamdue
Admiral

Re: Computer hacking or movies where we see innovative use of computer

I suppose movies like Hackers or even The Net, both bought something new to the public's knowledge of hacking.
Old April 28 2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The most thrilling hacking scene I've ever seen was the "Face Smash" sequence in The Social Network, because it both felt and was real.
Old April 28 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Wargames. The way Matthew Broderick's character "hacks" into the school's computer system is still the most realistic way it happens in real life.
Old April 28 2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I assume "innovative" = "ridiculously fictional", if ID4 is your example. In that case, check out Weird Science. It's innovative.
Old April 28 2012, 08:36 PM   #6
RAMA
Vice Admiral

This could well be the best movie/short film of its kind when it comes out:

http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/...n-trailer.html

Tek War movies had some of the better hacking scenes of the time.

Johnny Mnemonic wasnt a great movie but had two big hacking sequences.

Ghost in the SHell TV series also.

Last edited by RAMA; April 28 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old April 29 2012, 12:42 AM   #7
shivkala
Rear Admiral

This list by Cracked.com lists several movies where Hollywood took liberties with hacking. If you're interested in it as a plot point and not the accuracy of it, then some of the examples on this list might interest you.

Same thing with this list, which, if nothing else, shows some unintentionally funny hacking scenes.

Finally, TVTropes.org has a whole trope dedicated to Hollywood hacking. I think you'll find more dramatic, but totally inaccurate examples of what you're looking for, so if authenticity is your thing, you might be out of luck in most cases.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old April 29 2012, 12:51 AM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

Suprised "Sneakers" hasn't been mentioned yet.

Villian: "I cannot kill my friend" to henchman "Kill my friend"

"Wargames" Would you like to play a game?

Let's play Global Thermal Nuclear War
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old April 29 2012, 01:55 AM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

Swordfish. Because hackers drool at multiple monitors. LOL
Old April 29 2012, 05:32 AM   #10
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

wamdue wrote: View Post
I suppose movies like Hackers or even The Net, both bought something new to the public's knowledge of hacking.
yah, i've seen The Net.

i remember one movie or TV show where there are two guys on a couch relaxing and one guy is on a PC anxiously slaving away and the two guys on the couch are still chilling out and then the guy on the PC says 'it's the FEDs you idiots!' then the other two jump into action. then i'm pretty sure they wipe the PC's before the FED's show up.

anyone know what this is from? i really can't remember.
Old April 29 2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

InklingStar wrote: View Post
Wargames. The way Matthew Broderick's character "hacks" into the school's computer system is still the most realistic way it happens in real life.

Yep, exactly. I dunno, but I find most computer sequences in movies aside from ones in sci-fi, to be rather unrealistic, and it's interesting to note that it's one of the earlier movies that does get it right. Most of the time, they're laughably inaccurate. I'm talking about movies or TV shows set in present day when computers are being depicted. Sometimes the concepts are just too simplified.
Old April 29 2012, 08:03 AM   #12
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, the most realistic scene in Hackers is when Zero Cool calls up the TV station and talks his way into getting access.

Anybody remember how geek cred it was after Wargames to spend a night using a wardialer program to try and find other computers?
Old April 29 2012, 01:27 PM   #13
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
yah, i've seen The Net.

i remember one movie or TV show where there are two guys on a couch relaxing and one guy is on a PC anxiously slaving away and the two guys on the couch are still chilling out and then the guy on the PC says 'it's the FEDs you idiots!' then the other two jump into action. then i'm pretty sure they wipe the PC's before the FED's show up.

anyone know what i'm talking about? might be from a tv show.
Old April 29 2012, 03:46 PM   #14
wamdue
Admiral

yah, i've seen The Net.

anyone know what i'm talking about? might be from a tv show.
could be the movie, I never got past the first episode of the TV series.
Old April 29 2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Fortress

John Brennick and D-Day upload “D-DAY’S REVENGE VIRUS” just before John’s wife gets an unanesthetized C-section... Also note the system’s wonderfully hamfisted password “CRIME DOES NOT PAY.”

Jurassic Park

As a gang of bloodthirsty velociraptors bear down on our heroes, a middle schooler finds the gumption to hack Jurassic Park’s entire computer system....

Lawnmower Man

The final sequence of Lawnmower Man was impressive for the 90s but looks remarkably hokey nowadays. Jobe is a hyper-intelligent virtual being who has given up his humanity to become pure information...

WarGames

Matthew Broderick hacks into a NORAD supercomputer, mistakes it for a videogame, and almost starts World War III....

Independence Day

Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith fly into an alien vessel in a 50-year-old space junker, upload a computer virus in less than 5 minutes, and lo! Everything’s compatible! You’d think a race of malevolent extraterrestrials would invest in a better firewall...

The Core

Rat gives Aaron Eckhart free long-distance for life… using nothing but a Wrigley’s wrapper and an early 2000s cell phone...

Superman 3

In a movie where Superman fights his subconscious in a garbage dump, it’s saying a lot that the most implausible detail of the film is that a megacorporation’s security override command is “OVERRIDE ALL SECURITY.”

Swordfish

Hugh Jackman has 60 seconds to hack the Department of defence while Halle Berry sucks him off... If Hugh fails, Vinnie Jones will blow his brains out... Incidentally, this is how any respectable computer science graduate program handles its doctoral exams...

M