MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29 2012, 07:01 AM   #181
JD
Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

So for those of you who have seen it. 3D, yes or no? If the 3D is good I will gladly spend the extra money for it, but if it's not I don't want to waste the money.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:10 AM   #182
DAYoung
Commander

View DAYoung's Twitter Profile

I saw it in 3D, and I don't think it added much.
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:13 AM   #183
Aldo
Admiral

DAYoung wrote: View Post
Figures. Has a movie not filmed in 3D ever benefited from being in 3D?
Old April 29 2012, 07:43 AM   #184
Zaku
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
That's ridiculous, especially because her review isn't all that bad.
Yes, but she misspelled Nick Fury-Nick Frost! And she's female!

Two hideous crimes for some geeks...

Here is Nicholson's response..

When I realized what I'd stumbled into, I made myself vow I'd never read the comments for my own sanity. And, honestly, I didn't have to. I've seen this pile-on happen before to my critic friends -- male and female -- and it's always the same, though men get more death threats while women get more poetry like, "Whose $%#@ did you suck to get your job?" It's telling that among all the hatemail, I've only gotten one email that actually wanted to argue the substance of my review. Many more self-described comic book guys have taken the time to write and apologize on behalf of their fellow fans, which was a nice surprise. No worries, guys -- I still love nerds.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 08:39 AM   #185
DAYoung
Commander

View DAYoung's Twitter Profile

Aldo wrote: View Post
DAYoung wrote: View Post
Figures. Has a movie not filmed in 3D ever benefited from being in 3D?
The Purple Rose of Cairo?

But, seriously: nothing I've yet seen.
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 09:45 AM   #186
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly people?! What's the hype.

After your raving reviews I went there yesterday and boy was I disappointed.

The first half of the film is slow, so slow... the dialogues are lame and pathetic. With the exception of Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hiddleston and Mark Rufallo the actors perfrom really statically. Even the usually excelent actress Scarlett Johansson performs underwhelingly. Evans and Hemsworth are not even worth mentioning.
And then the Technobabble... Ionic compensator here, Flux field modulator there... It was like listening to a random Voyager episode... Someone in the audience said "Boring" and people started to laugh...

The SFX sequences are great, and as soon as the aircraft carrier is attacked the film finally gains speed and action but until then the 70 minutes feel tiresome and boring. Dialogue seems forced and the whole direction like a TV show rather than a big budget blockbuster movie.

I enjoyed the effects (ILM once again), but I did not find the character chemistry so many here talk about. Even worse: Some characters just behave like idiots. When Iron Man fights Thor, Loki is waiting... for what? I mean he could get away within those 10 minutes of fight (which feel like an hour or so)...

The score is lame and exchangable.

For me it was a huge letdown. Actually I went in there to just enjoy the visuals (especially after the mediocre movies THOR and CA), but I had to fight through the first hour to get what I wanted...

What a disappointment.
Old April 29 2012, 10:15 AM   #187
Mage
Commodore

That was some of the most fun I've had in cinema's in a while!!
The jokes were spot on, the Hulk was amazing, the SFX perfect. Ok, the 3D sucked sometimes, but I hate 3D anyway. But I couldn't find a theater nearby that had a normal version.

But to people like Xavier Storma; don't take a movie like this to serieus. Sure, it took a while to get things into motion. Sure, the dialogue won't win any Oscars (but Oscars mean shit-all these days anyway), sure there hardly was any characterdevelopment. But that's NOT what a movie like this is about. It's about fun. People seem to forget that movies are made for fun. Enjoymant. So judging a movie like this (which really is nothing more then a popcorn-flick) on things like pacing and dialogue is cool if you want to, but you're watching the movie with the wrong attitude IMO.

Anyway, it was fun as hell. Can't wait for the dvd!!
Old April 29 2012, 10:31 AM   #188
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
The jokes were spot on, the Hulk was amazing, the SFX perfect. Ok, the 3D sucked sometimes, but I hate 3D anyway. But I couldn't find a theater nearby that had a normal version.

But to people like Xavier Storma; don't take a movie like this to serieus. Sure, it took a while to get things into motion. Sure, the dialogue won't win any Oscars (but Oscars mean shit-all these days anyway), sure there hardly was any characterdevelopment. But that's NOT what a movie like this is about. It's about fun. People seem to forget that movies are made for fun. Enjoymant. So judging a movie like this (which really is nothing more then a popcorn-flick) on things like pacing and dialogue is cool if you want to, but you're watching the movie with the wrong attitude IMO.

I honestly agree. I should be about fun. But you have to endure boring 70 minutes of tiresome not even funny scenes to get to the fun.

It is far too long. 90 minutes or so (cut the whole not necessary dialogue and pseudo-character moments) and we could have had a huge SFX movie.

The problem is... IMHO that it takes far too long before it starts to make fun. After the superb reviews I expected a light hearted film which would take you along from minute one, not from minute 71.

The SFX are great (although the finale looks like a copy and past from TRANSFORMERS), and some scenes are really funny (Hulk and Thor in the Stark tower ). But it is nowhere even close to IRON MAN, THE DARK KNIGHT or X-MEN FIRST CLASS.
Old April 29 2012, 10:39 AM   #189
Mage
Commodore

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

I honestly agree. I should be about fun. But you have to endure boring 70 minutes of tiresome not even funny scenes to get to the fun.

It is far too long. 90 minutes or so (cut the whole not necessary dialogue and pseudo-character moments) and we could have had a huge SFX movie.

The problem is... IMHO that it takes far too long before it starts to make fun. After the superb reviews I expected a light hearted film which would take you along from minute one, not from minute 71.

The SFX are great (although the finale looks like a copy and past from TRANSFORMERS), and some scenes are really funny (Hulk and Thor in the Stark tower ). But it is nowhere even close to IRON MAN, THE DARK KNIGHT or X-MEN FIRST CLASS.

I see what you mean. Personally, it didn't bother me that much. But I do understand where you are coming from.
Old April 29 2012, 10:53 AM   #190
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Glad we agree to disagree...
Old April 29 2012, 12:09 PM   #191
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Even the usually excelent actress Scarlett Johansson.
Sorry. Can't take you seriously anymore.
She has, like, one facial expression. Always! How can she be excellent?
I mean, if you take away her beauty, what's left?
Why do you think they didn't show her "cry" in her scene with Loki? Because, most likely, she can't do it convincingly.

Evans and Hemsworth are not even worth mentioning.
And then the Technobabble... Ionic compensator here, Flux field modulator there... It was like listening to a random Voyager episode...
Exactly. The movie was making fun of it, in case you hadn't noticed.

Even worse: Some characters just behave like idiots. When Iron Man fights Thor, Loki is waiting... for what? I mean he could get away within those 10 minutes of fight (which feel like an hour or so)...
They made it abundantly clear (about 10 times or so) that Loki wanted to be caught and brought to the helicarrier.
So why would he run away? He was exactly where he wanted to be.
Seems to me you didn't pay all that much attention to the movie.

For me it was a huge letdown. Actually I went in there to just enjoy the visuals (especially after the mediocre movies THOR and CA), but I had to fight through the first hour to get what I wanted...
So eventually, you did get what you wanted? Why the F grade then?
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:19 PM   #192
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Why do you think they didn't show her "cry" in her scene with Loki? Because, most likely, she can't do it convincingly.

Evans and Hemsworth are not even worth mentioning.
And then the Technobabble... Ionic compensator here, Flux field modulator there... It was like listening to a random Voyager episode...
Exactly. The movie was making fun of it, in case you hadn't noticed.

Even worse: Some characters just behave like idiots. When Iron Man fights Thor, Loki is waiting... for what? I mean he could get away within those 10 minutes of fight (which feel like an hour or so)...
They made it abundantly clear (about 10 times or so) that Loki wanted to be caught and brought to the helicarrier.
So why would he run away? He was exactly where he wanted to be.
Seems to me you didn't pay all that much attention to the movie.

So eventually, you did get what you wanted? Why the F grade then?
Browser did not work properly. I would give it a C+.
Old April 29 2012, 12:28 PM   #193
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Fair enough
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:17 PM   #194
Mage
Commodore

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Have you seen Lost In Translation by any change? You say that she most likely can't do it convincingly. I'd strongly suggest you watch Lost In Translation.

And beyond that, she has done other films in which she has proven herself a good actress.

Take for instance Natalie Portman, who was great in Black Swan and has done numerous films that establish her as a character actress. However, she was horrible in the Star Wars prequel. I don't think it's fair to judge an actor or actress bad because of one film. Most of the actors/actresses we idolize will have atleast one of two films in there repetoire in which they kinda stunk. Why? Who knows. Bad directing, they couldn't identify with the character... so many reasons.
And I know a lot of people would say that said actor/actresse should just leave the film then. Not so easy I'm afraid. They signed contracts, and it would cost them dearly to just up and leave. And in the end of the day, acting is just a job and you need to get paid. So you don't just leave a paying job.
Old April 29 2012, 01:42 PM   #195
MNM
Captain

Zaku wrote: View Post

Yes, but she misspelled Nick Fury-Nick Frost! And she's female!

Two hideous crimes for some geeks...
Well you know, if you are going to write a review of the Avengers at least take a moment to make sure you get the names right in your review. It's not hard is it?
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote