Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 22 2012, 04:07 AM   #1
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Finally checking out BSG! So Far So Good!

Now I can assume everyone here is a scifi fan. I don't know about you but do you have one or two franchises that you've been aware of but completely missed? I read the raving reviews of the series and have caught snippets of it over the years but never hopped in, so to speak.

So I decided on a whim to get the miniseries and season 1. Just finished the miniseries and I like what I see. I know little of the original series but I imagine this is quite a departure. The CGI is beautiful and I love the physics of the ships. The characters are compelling (the XO is a pisshead - love it!) which will be due in no small part to RDM - always been a fan of his work on Trek.

I have seen the ending of the series but without the rest of it I didn't really follow. So I'd like to think I'm going into this pretty unspoiled.

All in all - a good start.
Old April 22 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Re: Finally checking out BSG! So Far So Good!

Good for you, StarMan! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The beautiful CGI, the battles, the characters (and the changes they go through-- rising to challenges, coming up short.... betrayals... twists... )... I thought it was a great show!
Old April 22 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Ethros
Vice Admiral

If I were you, if you like it, just keep watching. As in don't be put off my what someone might say, or read too much about the show and end up being severly spoiled.

That's what I did with my most recent via-DVD-never-seen-before TV show watches (Supernatural 1-6 and Fringe 1-3), then asked questions later
I just really enjoyed popping on another episode and having no idea what was gonna happen, and making up my own mind and theories about stuff. Not that it's not fun to share, but just if you read something like "that seasons great but that seasons so so" or "that character's boring at first but wait till you get to the episode where..." etc it could spoil some of the surprise. Which is defintely part of the enjoyment with a show like BSG

ps. can't wait for the inevitable "where should I watch Razor" question and ensuing argument
Old April 23 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
If I were you, if you like it, just keep watching. As in don't be put off my what someone might say, or read too much about the show and end up being severly spoiled.
Indeed. Just finished episode 4 and already want to mine info on the Humanoid Cylons... but will resist.

ps. can't wait for the inevitable "where should I watch Razor" question and ensuing argument
If it's an argument similar to where to watch B5: In The Beginning, then not anytime soon.
Old April 23 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

In my opinion, Razor is best viewed in the order it aired.
Old April 23 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
Indeed. Just finished episode 4 and already want to mine info on the Humanoid Cylons... but will resist.

If it's an argument similar to where to watch B5: In The Beginning, then not anytime soon.
Yup, same basic argument, a "Prequel" (in some ways) with spoilers for at least the first half of the Series, that some believe the Spoilers don't matter, because it's not the Destination that matters, but, how you got there.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old April 23 2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Razor only has one thing that could be a spoiler for the end of season 3, and even then, that particular bit is easy to miss or overlook. I see no problem with watching it after 2x17: "The Captain's Hand".
Old April 23 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Razor only has one thing that could be a spoiler for the end of season 3, and even then, that particular bit is easy to miss or overlook. I see no problem with watching it after 2x17: "The Captain's Hand".
Yup, it really felt out of place as a flashback, it's better between The Captain's Hand and Downloaded.
Old April 25 2012, 06:53 PM   #9
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It's a fantastic series, and yes, enjoy it as you go.

I will warn you about a mistake I personally made while watching it the first time: Don't get too wrapped up in details and the significance of the apparent symbolism that was scattered throughout the series. Much of what appeared on screen occasionally felt like foreshadowing to some greater meaning. Sometimes it pans out, but other times certain things take a completely different turn than what was expected. It does make for good storytelling, depending on how that tactic is used by the writers and directors, if it's even intentional. Other things were simply glossed over and never explained - one-off statements or occurrences that felt like they were pivotal to the plot and...well...weren't. Overall, I give the new series a 90% in its entirety, but I think I'm still more of a fan of the original series, even with all its obvious flaws. If you have the time at some point, I would recommend watching TOS as well. If you can get past the cheese-factor of 70's broadcasting tropes, you might find it to be quite interesting and entertaining.
Old April 27 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Well, midway through 1x09 and I am intrigued. Season 2 is on it's way.

I am curious about the nature of Cylon consciousness. If they can transmit their being into another body, what are their copies? The copies don't appear to operate with a shared consciousness so ... are they themselves separate entities? Is my favorite blonde that visits Baltar the same that occupies Caprica?

Interesting.
Old April 27 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Just finished watching and the answer would appear to be yes. Hmm.
Old April 27 2012, 03:15 PM   #12
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I would liken them to twins. As human twins sometime share a deeper, almost metaphysical, conscious and subconscious bond between them than most non-twins, all Cylons seem to have that bond with one another, particularly if they're of the same model.
Old April 29 2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I'm doing a re-watch myself.

BBC America had started doing BSG (almost) daily, but I picked up with my DVD's in early S1.

Just started S2 tonight.

You can kind of forget how good it really was after so many years away.
Old May 5 2012, 01:49 AM   #14
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I think I'm converted! Just finished 2x02. I am starting to wonder if the Caprica angle is a permanent fixture. I feel like cheering them off the bloody planet already and back into the primary story, if that makes any sense.
Old May 7 2012, 01:31 PM   #15
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Just finished the S2 finale. If this were Trek I'd be expecting a temporal anomaly next episode ...