RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 457
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 27 2012, 11:33 PM   #136
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Could be, but it looks weird/wrong.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 03:01 PM   #137
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

For anyone who needs it (like me, if I start picking up these issues as I'm considering), Newsarama published a preparation article last month that claims to be able to bring people up to speed on what they need to know for the event.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 03:40 PM   #138
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
That explains a lot.
I've been quite upfront with my lack of Marvel knowledge.

I don't regularly buy any Marvel titles these days. I read Simonson's Thor, I read Jurgens' Thor, I read JMS's Thor and Gillan's Thor. I tried Fraction's Thor and gave up on it with Mighty Thor #2 because earthworms have more narrative momentum than Matt Fraction's writing on Thor.

In other words, I've read a lot of Thor.

I read "Spider-Island" (and just "Spider-Island"). I read "One More Day." I read the Obama Inauguration issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

The last Avengers comic I read was JLA/Avengers #4. The last X-Men comic I read was a couple of months before "Age of Apocalypse."

Yes, it's probably insane to jump into Marvel's ultimate event like this, but I'm giving it the old college try anyway!

I'm not buying any of the tie-in issues in the regular titles, just the main AVX title and AVX Vs.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:24 AM   #139
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Marvel has stated it's not necessary for people to buy the tie-in issues, but then, both companies normally state that about their crossovers. I've been getting the tie-in issues because they're books that I normally read anyway. The fight book is pointless.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:43 AM   #140
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

I don't regularly buy any Marvel titles these days. I read Simonson's Thor, I read Jurgens' Thor, I read JMS's Thor and Gillan's Thor. I tried Fraction's Thor and gave up on it with Mighty Thor #2 because earthworms have more narrative momentum than Matt Fraction's writing on Thor.

In other words, I've read a lot of Thor.
Allyn, if you are a fan of Thor, and enjoyed Kieron Gillen's run, then I can't recommend Gillen's Journey into Mystery highly enough. I wouldn't have bothered with a book focusing on pre-Siege Loki, but the adventures of the reborn Loki are extremely fun and enjoyable. It's not a super-hero book. It reads more like fantasy with a Loki, now without magical powers, who must depend upon his mastery of mischief to accomplish his goals. He has no memory of his past incarnation and is trying to be good, but all of Asgard remembers old Loki and are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It was nominated for Best New Series of 2011 at CBR, as voted by the readers. It didn't stand a chance as not enough people read it (Batman won), but the nomination was well-deserved.
Old April 29 2012, 12:44 AM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Stark fires off 320 time spinning magnets calibrated to competing magnetic frequencies, and Eric deprecates "320 0f these must have cost you a fortune."

"Magneto has special magnet counting superpowers!"

That there is some pretty funny shit.

I have no fucking idea why they stuck YET ANOTHER bout between Namor and Ben Grimm in there, we have literally seen that at least 100 times, or we should have.

"Grimm, I propose...

"When are you going to get it Namor, no one in the Fantastic Four wants to marry you!"

" ...That you surrender!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:45 AM   #142
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The fight book is pointless.
Agreed. And yet, it keeps garnering great reviews. 5 out of 5 Stars, CBR? Really?
Old April 29 2012, 12:48 AM   #143
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The Magneto/Iron Man fight is a follow up I assume to the first issue of Magneto: Not A Hero where Tony was wearing plastic armour and Erik proved that even that would not stop him and he proceeded to make Tony feel very small and insignificant with a little tirade of his own.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:03 AM   #144
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm curious if Extremis turned the iron in his blood into plastic as well?

I remember a comment recently about how the armour now hides in his bone marrow, which would have made me think that it's a possibility that the armour is organic rather than plastic, otherwise it would be killing him like how Wolverine starts cutting out form all that metal in him whenthe healing facto goes off line. I think Claremont said it was like diabetes in the uncanny 230s when the Genoshan Pressgang downpowered him and Rogue.

Eric has rules to fighting fairly, otherwise he'd just make people explode from the inside.

My marvel handbook from the early 90's says that the Armour is polarized molecule chainmail... But a few weeks later Iron Man is getting inbetween Magneto and the scarlet witch in West coast Avengers and Byrne is talking about how he thinks the "hinges' in the armour are hidden in the letters collumn.

Back in New mutants 40 (ish?) magneto got really annoyed that Adamantium isn't magetic, but that's been thrown out the window a couple times since then, even when Steve had a put down with a Magneto LMD in cap during the acts of vengeance.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; April 29 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:36 AM   #145
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Agreed. And yet, it keeps garnering great reviews. 5 out of 5 Stars, CBR? Really?
CBR sucking at Marvel's teat?

Hardly surprising.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:43 AM   #146
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
i know, i don't get it either. and they gave Daredevil and X-Men Legacy, two good books, poor reviews.
Old April 29 2012, 02:27 AM   #147
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Something that occured to me-- Yes, the Phoenix is heading to Earth and destroying every planet in it's path. But what does Earth have that none of these of these other planets didn't? A waiting host.

In X-Sanction, Cable showed Cyclops a future wasteland and told him that this is what would happen if he let the Avengers take Hope. The Avengers want to remove Hope from Earth. Maybe that's the mistake. If the Phoenix arrives at Earth looking for a host and she's gone-- then the 616 is truely toast. Maybe they need to let it come to Hope and let her take control of it, and then she can keep it from destroying Earth. Or better yet, bring her to the Phoenix and keep it from destroying anymore inhabited worlds.
Old April 29 2012, 02:29 AM   #148
Aldo
Admiral

So is issue 0 worth getting? I missed it on newstands but if it's good I may seek it out online.

So, worth getting?
Old April 29 2012, 02:35 AM   #149
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

No. Try getting the main series.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 02:47 AM   #150
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
So is issue 0 worth getting? I missed it on newstands but if it's good I may seek it out online.

So, worth getting?
It's worth getting if you don't know who the main players are. The Scarlet Witch has been more of the boogie-woman than a recurring character in the MU for the last 8 years. Hope is a fairly new character that some people may not know. If you're familiar with the players, then, no, it's not vital.