Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 27 2012, 10:19 PM   #46
pork3
Commander

Re: Fox renews Fringe!

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Q2UnME wrote: View Post
Well, I'm glad it's renewed. I'm glad that FOX is giving them the chance to finish telling the story instead of chopping it with no real conclusion.
I used to feel that way but after a slew of really disappointing crappy endings I've now moved into the camp thinking that a cancellation is a good thing for a tv show these days allowing it to avoid the weak endings so many shows have--The X-Files, LOST, nBSG, Heroes etc.
Oi, thanks for reminding me. Of those, the X-Files and nBSG probably have to rank as the worst final seasons for a show, primarily because TPTB had no fucking clue how to close all their loose ends.

1. nBSG
2. X-Files
3. Heroes
4. Lost

I wonder how others would rank them...

-Jamman
pork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2012, 11:02 PM   #47
Dark Gilligan
Writer

pork3 wrote: View Post
Of those, the X-Files and nBSG probably have to rank as the worst final seasons for a show, primarily because TPTB had no fucking clue how to close all their loose ends.

1. nBSG
2. X-Files
3. Heroes
4. Lost

I never watched X-Files or Heroes, but I enjoyed the final runs of nBSG and Lost immensely. Both stayed true to the mythos that were set up in earlier seasons. Many people disagree with that, but the clues were there all along.
Old April 28 2012, 03:53 AM   #48
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
pork3 wrote: View Post
Of those, the X-Files and nBSG probably have to rank as the worst final seasons for a show, primarily because TPTB had no fucking clue how to close all their loose ends.

1. nBSG
2. X-Files
3. Heroes
4. Lost

I never watched X-Files or Heroes, but I enjoyed the final runs of nBSG and Lost immensely. Both stayed true to the mythos that were set up in earlier seasons. Many people disagree with that, but the clues were there all along.
All that the final season of Lost proved was the writers were just stringing everybody along when they said early on that they had learned from other botched shows and were avoiding the problems associated with them. They ultimately revealed they had no idea how to pull everything together(Dharma, the voices, Claire's possession, Walt's importance, Aaron's supposed importance, the Smoke Monster, the Drawing on the Hatch, the purpose of the vaccination and the list could go on and on). All they had been doing is throwing everything into the mix plotwise with no idea how to pay them off and they were nothing more than cool plot devices or dangling plot threads. In the end it was just a hot mess that year where the characters just were moved around from camp site to camp site in order to drag out the show.

Same for BSG and its hokey notions of Love(only love can produce a hybrid child) which unfortunately found its way into shows like Fringe. Not to mention the pointless Baltar cult, the waste of Six as nothing more than a love plot device, the lame love triangle among Tighe/Ellen/Six, the cheap way out of the baby not being Tyrol's son, the meaning of the Opera House vision etc etc
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 04:59 AM   #49
Jax
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Well we still dont know Alcatraz's fate yet, but the odds are not very good right now.
There had been rumors that Fringe would air in the fall and then Alcatraz in midseason on friday for next season. However I doubt this since Alcatraz's numbers on monday were already low, at least Fringe was pulling in 1.9-2.0 demo before it was moved.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 10:08 AM   #50
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Q2UnME wrote: View Post
Well, I'm glad it's renewed. I'm glad that FOX is giving them the chance to finish telling the story instead of chopping it with no real conclusion.
I used to feel that way but after a slew of really disappointing crappy endings I've now moved into the camp thinking that a cancellation is a good thing for a tv show these days allowing it to avoid the weak endings so many shows have--The X-Files, LOST, nBSG, Heroes etc.

I'd much rather be left thinking that the writers had a plan but never got to carry it out because of cancellation rather than realizing that the writers actually had no idea what they were doing despite all the promises to the contrary.
That's also an advantage to episodic series. If there's no definite ending, then it's left to the viewer's imagination. One can imagine that the characters are still out there somewhere, still going on with their lives....

DS9 is the only series I can think of that actually had a solid final season and pulled together a series worth of pieces together in a smart satisfying way--where even if it was done on the fly it made sense ultimately in how it all came together.
It's already been said, but Babylon 5 really had the best ending of any drama series (Newhart had the best ending of any comedy series).
Old April 28 2012, 10:11 AM   #51
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Babylon 5 had a fantastic ending episode, but their last season was definitely the weakest by a long shot...

M
Old April 28 2012, 10:21 AM   #52
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Possibly. The pacing was thrown off by the expected cancellation at the end of season four. I still liked it, though. And the finale was filmed at the end season four in any case.
Old April 28 2012, 01:21 PM   #53
Mr Light
Admiral

The final seasons of Farscape and Angel had a weak opening half, but a very strong and satisfying second half.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 01:41 PM   #54
JRoss
Captain

The next one absolutely has to be the last season. They've kinda butchered the show. I still love it, but it's unrecognizable now from the show that hooked me.
Old April 28 2012, 03:32 PM   #55
Procutus
Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post
The next one absolutely has to be the last season. They've kinda butchered the show. I still love it, but it's unrecognizable now from the show that hooked me.

It's a totally different show now, that's for sure, but towards the latter half of this season, it at least began to feel a bit more like Fringe of old. But I DO miss the original versions of the characters (though Peter has remained the constant in this show - he's like the Desmond of Fringe!)

Although I'm not expecting it with only 13 eps next year, I wish they would touch upon what happened to Sam Weiss and where he went, and more about how the damn machine was built in the first place.

Old April 28 2012, 06:56 PM   #56
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^I'm sure LOVE had something to do with it.

I had barely been hanging in just to see how the show ended. I'm not a classy person, I'm afraid I'd probably watch a train wreck too. But the dispiriting news that we're going to be jerked around for fourteen or fifteen more hours finished me off. I skipped Fringe last night, in favor of Netflixing Enterprise.
Old April 28 2012, 09:51 PM   #57
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I've never seen this show, but heard good things. As some of you may know from my comments in other sections of the board, parallel universe stories are my favorite type of sci-fi stories, and the thought of an entire show devoted to that is interesting (I'm still disapointed that SLIDERS turned into shit as fast as it did).

Anyway, I almost bought the existing season sets of FRINGE last week, but held off because of the possibility of season three being the last, I figured it would only be a matter of time before a complete series set was released. Now I'm thinking if such a set is released, it'll be another year down the road.

So my question is this: are the current DVD sets worth getting, or should I just watch the show online, something I don't enjoy much, I'd rather see what I'm watching on my big screen, and I don't want to waste money on the individual sets if a complete series edition is released next year (and yeah, I know it's too soon for news of that, I'm just going on how past shows have been released).

So, FRINGE fans, tell me, is this show worth an investment, or should I wait for the big set we all know will (eventually) be released?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 09:54 PM   #58
Harvey
Admiral

^^
Although I haven't seen it, judging from what I've read, you might find the Canadian-South African co-production* Charlie Jade to be interesting.

*I think I got that right...

On the subject of Fringe on home video, have other Bad Robot series had extra features when they received a complete series release? That might be a good barometer if you should buy the season sets now, or wait for the complete series in a year or so.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 10:21 PM   #59
JRoss
Captain

Honestly, I'd just get them now. I imagine that they can be found somewhat cheaply.
Old April 29 2012, 12:52 AM   #60
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
So, FRINGE fans, tell me, is this show worth an investment, or should I wait for the big set we all know will (eventually) be released?
Honestly I wouldn't spend good money on FRINGE--I watched it for free and ultimately I felt like it was a waste of time looking back. But if you want to check it out why not Netflix it
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote