Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 22 2012, 01:50 AM   #586
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

The A Time to series is what I intend to read after Vanguard, since I want to catch up on TNG (obviously woefully behind) and Articles of the Federation, which I read last year and quite heavily references them, heightened my interest.

Thrawn wrote: View Post
^ You think the first two books are good, you just WAIT until David Mack shows up.
Mr. Mack recently mentioned that he considers them personal favorites among his works, right after Destiny and Wildfire.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 05:14 AM   #587
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Thrawn, I'm very excited to get Mack's books. I've read the first 5 Vanguard books, have to catch up on that!

Sho, I've been working my way through the Post-Generations TNG comics and novels, as best as I could figure. Since getting back into the forum I've been able to finesse a bit more, but it's been a fun ride so far, even with some less than stellar entries. Though it's a substantial amount of material, I've been surprised by how quickly I got to this point already.

I've also been reading the DS9 Realunch in concert with TNG, right now I'm at Worlds of DS9, which I'm hoping to intersperse with the A Time To... books to spread out the franchises a bit. My plan is to finish the TNG-Time books, watch Nemesis, finish out WoDS9 and then, since I can, read through all the Mirror Universe material in preparation for the DS9R Mirror Universe Stuff and then do Rise Like Lions. I think that might be fun before jumping into the Post-Nem TNG stuff and (FINALLY!) Destiny! I'm wiping my brow just thinking about it!
Old April 22 2012, 09:06 AM   #588
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I am finishing EX Machina, by Chris Bennet, based on recommendations of forum members. Not a bad read. I am enjoying the internal conflict on the ship more than the action on planet though. I think Chris did a nice job of tackling the return of Kirk and McCoy and their interactions with Deckers handpicked crew.

Thanks to a banner ad on the right hand side of this BBS page, I will dive into Robopocalypse, by Daniel Wilson next. I read a few reviews on Amazon and it sounded like a good read. Has anyone read this book already? Did you like it?
Old April 22 2012, 03:04 PM   #589
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Thrawn, I'm very excited to get Mack's books. I've read the first 5 Vanguard books, have to catch up on that!

Sho, I've been working my way through the Post-Generations TNG comics and novels, as best as I could figure. Since getting back into the forum I've been able to finesse a bit more, but it's been a fun ride so far, even with some less than stellar entries. Though it's a substantial amount of material, I've been surprised by how quickly I got to this point already.

I've also been reading the DS9 Realunch in concert with TNG, right now I'm at Worlds of DS9, which I'm hoping to intersperse with the A Time To... books to spread out the franchises a bit. My plan is to finish the TNG-Time books, watch Nemesis, finish out WoDS9 and then, since I can, read through all the Mirror Universe material in preparation for the DS9R Mirror Universe Stuff and then do Rise Like Lions. I think that might be fun before jumping into the Post-Nem TNG stuff and (FINALLY!) Destiny! I'm wiping my brow just thinking about it!
Sounds about right to me. Have fun with it; you've got a lot of awesome books ahead of you.
Old April 24 2012, 12:00 AM   #590
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Doctor Who: Apollo 23 yesterday. I also read The Walking Dead, Volume I: Days Gone Bye over the last few days, and finished today. I'm now reading Star Trek: The Rings of Time.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 04:20 AM   #591
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Cap'n, how'd you like Apollo 23? I remember liking it quite a bit, until the last 3 chapters where it seemed like some action was added to pad the book out. As well, it was one of the books that had some obvious hints to being a reworked 10th/Donna story. (Though Forgotten Army and Coming of the Terraphiles are the worst offenders in that department.)
Old April 24 2012, 07:23 AM   #592
captcalhoun
Admiral

finished WTC last night. might start marathoning VGD next and hope by the time i finish, i've got Storming Heaven...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 10:11 PM   #593
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Just finishing David Mack's "The Calling" which I've enjoyed very much.
Old April 26 2012, 01:53 AM   #594
JD
Admiral

Bought and started reading Batman: The Killing Joke today. I've been wanting to read this for years, and so far it has met my very high expectations. Seriously awesome stuff so far.
Old April 26 2012, 04:04 AM   #595
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Cap'n, how'd you like Apollo 23? I remember liking it quite a bit, until the last 3 chapters where it seemed like some action was added to pad the book out. As well, it was one of the books that had some obvious hints to being a reworked 10th/Donna story. (Though Forgotten Army and Coming of the Terraphiles are the worst offenders in that department.)
I liked it OK, not that great, but not bad either. I actually wondered if it was a reworked novel, The Doctor didn't really have the manic feel that Matt Smith brings to the role. I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

I finished Star Trek: The Rings of Time today. It's a very gripping story, I had a hard time putting it down. One of the best TOS novels I've read in a while.

I'm now reading Mass Effect: Retribution.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2012, 05:02 AM   #596
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

Cap'n Crunch wrote: View Post
I'm now reading Mass Effect: Retribution.
Retribution is great, and really ties in well to the third game - wait a while on moving on the Deception, though. The published version is terrible enough that Bioware have said they're releasing a redone version of the story.
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2012, 10:52 AM   #597
Skywalker
Admiral

I wouldn't even buy the new edition. The story itself is that bad and that inconsequential to the larger narrative. You can already infer Deception's "plot revelations" from what happened in Retribution.

Anyway, I'm continuing reading through the few Trek novels I've purchased and then never gotten around to reading/finishing. I just started Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers. I bought it a couple of years ago, but at the time I'd yet to see all of DS9, and I don't think I was really in the right mood for it then, so I never finished it. Now that I've watched through all of DS9 (which I finally did last year, thank you Netflix!) I think I'll have a much easier time following the story and enjoying it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2012, 12:20 AM   #598
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Currently reading:

*Doctor Who: Matrix
*The Street by Ann Petry
Old April 27 2012, 12:40 AM   #599
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Bought and started reading Batman: The Killing Joke today. I've been wanting to read this for years, and so far it has met my very high expectations. Seriously awesome stuff so far.
The Killing Joke is, in my opinion, fantastic. I hope it meets your expectations.
Old April 27 2012, 01:13 AM   #600
JD
Admiral

So far I've loved it. The only problem I've had with it so far is Barbara Gordon's treatment. I'm a huge fan of strong women characters, and I've been curious about Batgirl/Oracle, and so one of the reason I wanted to read this was because of her role in the story, but I didn't care for what that role ended up being. She's pretty much just a device to screw with her father and nothing more.