RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,824
Currently online: 559
Newest member: Frazier101

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 23 2012, 05:26 AM   #16
DredZed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: USS Bowman

Haven't had too much time to work on this lately, but I managed to get a tiny bit more done. Here's the main gangway hatch on the port side of the saucer:

In this one, one of the cutouts in the step on the upper saucer can be seen clearly too, showing off the sensor cluster inside.

Probably won't have too much time to work on this over the next few weeks, getting married on Friday. But if I manage to get anything else done I'll make sure to put it up.
DredZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Blip
Fleet Captain

Congratulations! Hope you have an awesome day.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 07:45 PM   #18
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Congrats on getting Married
Old April 24 2012, 12:48 AM   #19
publiusr
Commodore

I love the cut-outs. Nice to see new life breathed into the refit with original work.

Having this evolve into STO's Excalibur might be interesting....
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 03:30 AM   #20
E-DUB
Captain

To Blip, RE: your sig line. Actually either usage is correct. The meaning of "I couldn't care" less is self explanatory, while "I could care less" is taken to mean: "While it is theoretically possible that I could care less, it is extremely unlikely".
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 10:35 AM   #21
DredZed
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, back from the honeymoon and all, thanks for the congratulations Kaiser and Blip!

I decided to try to continue with the Bowman a bit. I really want to get to the secondary hull soon, but decided to ease back into this with something a bit simpler and not as vital to the look.

Since the last thing I added was the gangway hatch, I figured I'd start there. I wanted to explore how the ship would actually dock at a space station or dry dock using this hatch. The way I saw it, the doors that you can see are actually only outer doors, since they didn't make much sense from an airlock point of view. So I decided to design a docking port from scratch, based partly on the airlock from the travel pod from the first two movies, but squared off to fit more snugly in the hatch.

I started off by building the gangway that would extend from a dry dock or space station to the ship, ending in an airlock that would fit into the gangway hatch on the saucer:

Then used that to build the actual docking port inside the hatch itself. You can see here the pockets for the doors on the gangway to be retracted into, and the sockets for the docking latches to link with.

Since I was able to do both parts, I decided I might as well do a simple shot of it actually docked, so here that is:

Of course, each of these parts will only be used in shots where the ship is either just off docking, or actually docked, but I figured I'd like to do a dry dock shot anyway when I get more done, so this is a good start I think. I'm also planning on using the same docking system for any other ships I might build in the same style, so I built the actual interior docking port to be interchangeable into any other model.

Please let me know what you think, and if there's anything I can do to improve on this. Hopefully I should be able to get more done soon, not sure what or when exactly, but I'll be working on it whenever I can.
DredZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Very nicely done.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 02:30 PM   #23
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Hmm... nifty vessel..

Its flat Jim! but I like it.
Old May 22 2012, 12:01 AM   #24
publiusr
Commodore

Adore the work with the main gangway. The refit era needs more love. I can see this version of the refit leading to the STO Excalibur, which looks better in the art than in the game.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Starship
Commander

Looks to much cool!!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Blip
Fleet Captain

E-DUB wrote: View Post
To Blip, RE: your sig line. Actually either usage is correct. The meaning of "I couldn't care" less is self explanatory, while "I could care less" is taken to mean: "While it is theoretically possible that I could care less, it is extremely unlikely".
I wish people would stop trying to excuse this blatant error as intentional sarcasm -- especially when they blatantly fail to speak it as such. And next time, send a PM instead of derailing someone else's thread.

DredZed that's a pretty looking gangway.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 07:02 PM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

I couldn't give a rats ass.
Old May 23 2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Gojira
Commodore

8I am really liking this design!!
Old May 24 2012, 02:58 PM   #29
Albertese
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
[pedantic grammar nazi]

I'm sorry, but that should be "rat's ass," with an apostrophe to denote the possessive case....

[/pedantic grammar nazi]

--Alex
Old May 24 2012, 07:45 PM   #30
sojourner
Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
[pedantic grammar nazi]

I'm sorry, but that should be "rat's ass," with an apostrophe to denote the possessive case....

[/pedantic grammar nazi]

--Alex
I could care less.