Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 18 2012, 04:46 AM   #511
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Wrath of the Titans 3D - free admission
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - free admission
The Raid: Redemption - free admission
The Incredible Hulk Returns - DVD
Titanic 3D - free admission
The Hunger Games - free admission
Mirror, Mirror - free admission
American Reunion - free admission
Justice League: Doom - DVD
W. - DVD
Night of the Running Man - Netflix Instant
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk - DVD
The Hunter - free admission
An Education - DVD
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two - DVD
The Prophecy - DVD
Them Idiots Whirled Tour - DVD
The Prophecy II - DVD
Cabin in the Woods - free admission
Juan of the Dead - free admission
Lockout - free admission

I seriously haven't watched a new movie since Saturday?!?

Anyway, went to see Lockout last night after work...and it sucked hardcore donkey dick. Terrible fuckin' movie...

Set in the year 2079, a CIA operative (Guy Pierce) is arrested & convicted for murder & sentenced to a cryogenic prison in orbit above Earth. At the same time, the president's daugther (Maggie Grace) is visitin' the prison to investigate humanitarian concerns about the inmates. A Secret Service bodyguard named Hawk smuggles a weapon into the interrogation room, and, predictably, all hell breaks loose.

When the first daughter is taken hostage, the CIA operative is charged with the task to rescue her in exchange for a pardon.

Not a good movie, at all. The one chase scene looks like a fuckin' video game, its so heavy in CGI, which is bad since the hero is on a one-wheel motorcycle of the future and ya can tell he's fake. He smokes, and every time he lights up, I was reminded of that scene in Thank You for Smoking. Once on the station, everything goes as ya would expect it to...which is just bad moviemakin'. The credits insist its based on an original story from Luc Besson, but there's nothin' original about it. All tired cliches & bad actin', no twists ya can't see comin', ever.

Next up, I'll be checkin' out Bully tomorrow before work, and I'm on the list for the Get the Gringo event here in Austin, with Mel Gibson in attendance for a Q&A.

And I have passes for a free screenin' of Pirates! Band of Misfits on Saturday, if I'm off from work...
Old April 18 2012, 05:16 AM   #512
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The only movie that I've seen in the theater this year has been John Carter, whhich I enjoyed very much. The next four movies that I see in the theater will all be The Avengers.
Old April 18 2012, 01:13 PM   #513
od0_ital
Admiral

Okay, so, yeah...the Get the Gringo event is tonight, so I'll be at that, and Bully will be tomorrow after work.

Can't believe I almost screwed myself out of attendin' the event by misrememberin' the day...
Old April 18 2012, 03:41 PM   #514
Agent Richard07
Admiral

110. Picture This: (✩✩½) - TV - A grounded teenage girl tells her dad that she's going to a friend's house to study but sneaks off to go to a party. Her dad calls her cell phone every half-hour to check up on her and if he finds out what she's really up to, it could mean not going away to college. Ashley Tisdale and Kevin Pollack star. Typical teenie fare, but it's watchable.

111. Hall Pass: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Owen Wilson and his buddy are having marriage troubles and end up getting free passes to spend the week with other women in order to get it out of their system. Hilarity ensues. It's very predictable, but I'm giving it an extra half-star (up from 2.5) because it has a good twist or two.

112. Field of Dreams: (✩✩✩½) - TV - Finally saw this iconic piece. Good watch. Now I know what it's all about. It was a little better than I expected.

113. Thirst: (✩✩½) - TV - Four young 20-somethings ran their jeep into a ravine in the desert and now they're stuck without water. Lacey Chabert stars. It had some of my sttention at least.

114. Saint John of Las Vegas: (✩✩✩) - DVD - John, an ex gambler, is now an insurance adjuster, but temptation takes hold again when he's sent on an insurance case just outside of Las Vegas. Steve Buscemi stars. I like the setting and it's got some dry humor, but it's not that great.

115. Shame: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - Michael Fassbender stars as a sex addict who has to deal with his visiting sister. I liked that the movie doesn't moralize with the message that "sex is bad and will get you into trouble", but it doesn't have any real impact, tended to be slow and plodding in spots and the dark mood seemed a bit forced. I'm surprised that it scored highly with critics. It's not bad, just overrated if you ask me.

116. The Men Who Stare at Goats: (✩✩½) - DVD - A man (Ewan McGreggor) takes on a job as a reporter and finds his big story... The U.S. military's attempt to develop psychic warfare, and his guide is a Jedi Warrior with super awesome powers (George Clooney). This one has the same dry humor as Burn After Reading, but it's pretty boring and not as clever. I did like that Clooney's character would grandstand with confidence in his powers, yet we never saw much of anything though.

Theatre: 4
DVD/Blu-Ray: 39
TV: 55
On Demand: 17
Internet: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 02:31 AM   #515
Harvey
Admiral

57. Tales from the Script (C-)

Tales from the Script: This is a watchable if slight documentary about Hollywood screenwriters. For viewers that don't know much about the subject I suspect it will be more enjoyable than for those that do; the anecdotes are entertaining (and occasionally useful), but well trodden. The production values are bargain bin, though. Essentially the film alternates between poorly shot talking heads and film clips that appear to have been culled from a VHS tape, so it won't impress anyone with its groundbreaking visual style. It's currently available on Netflix, though, so at least it's not hard to see.

Theatres: 22
Home Video: 31 +1
Computer: 4

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 01:23 PM   #516
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Theatre/Cinema

11. The Lorax

A quite good kids movie.
(I enjoyed it, as did my sister and nephew.)

Last edited by USS Fardell; April 19 2012 at 01:37 PM.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 01:11 AM   #517
od0_ital
Admiral

Wrath of the Titans 3D - free admission
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - free admission
The Raid: Redemption - free admission
The Incredible Hulk Returns - DVD
Titanic 3D - free admission
The Hunger Games - free admission
Mirror, Mirror - free admission
American Reunion - free admission
Justice League: Doom - DVD
W. - DVD
Night of the Running Man - Netflix Instant
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk - DVD
The Hunter - free admission
An Education - DVD
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two - DVD
The Prophecy - DVD
Them Idiots Whirled Tour - DVD
The Prophecy II - DVD
Cabin in the Woods - free admission
Juan of the Dead - free admission
Lockout - free admission
Get the Gringo - free screenin'
Only Yesterday - free admission

Good thing they had two theaters open for Get the Gringo the other night - so many VIPs at the red carpet event for the movie, they filled up the first one too quickly! I wound up in the second theater, and had to watch the post-film Q&A on the screen bein' broadcast from the second theater.

Decent enough movie, reminded me of Payback, where Mel Gibson was also playin' a bad guy but not the worst guy...

And some of it was filmed here in Texas, so yay! for that.

I did not get an autograph, but Mel Gibson did growl at me when I tried to get one. So, there's that...

Got cut early from work yesterday, wasted some time by watchin' 21 Jump Street again (for free) before I went to see Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday. Total chick flick, animated. And subtitled.

Kinda slowed down on my DVD watchin' this week...and I still haven't been to see Bully!

I'll be at a free advanced screenin' of Pirates! Band of Misfits tomorrow mornin' and may go see this week's Studio Ghibli film, The Cat Returns in the evenin' before my shift.
Old April 21 2012, 12:35 PM   #518
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

11. "War Horse" (2011) C + Jeremy Irvine, Emily Watson, Peter Mullan, Niels Arestrup, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch. Directed By Stephen Speilberg. The adaptation of the 1982 Children's novel, there is of course the famous stage play. I was not interested in this film at all when it came out. Pretty much ignored it for the longest time. My parents have seen the excellent stage play (the West End version in London) and ended up seeing this On Demand, and I finally broke down and watched it the other night and ended up really enjoying it. Speilberg has the ability as a film maker and storyteller to evoke emotion from his audience when he's really into the story and characters of a film he directs, while I didn't think his direction was exceptionally stellar, he did an incredible job of directing the horses, especially "Joey" the titular character. You really get swept up in the connection of his journey. Plus it is exceptionally shot, the cinematography is simply beautiful. John Williams score is typical Williams excellence as well. I'd recommend it. I didn't think i'd like it at all, but glad it changed my mind.

12. "Shame" (2011) A Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan. Directed By Steve McQueen. Fassbender plays a man struggling with a serious sex addiction. This film is dark, moody and slow in some places, but the fascinating thing about it is the character study of Fassbender's Brandon as he deals with his visiting sister Sissy (Mulligan) and continues to try and hide his addiction. Beautifully shot, written, and acted. Fassbender was truly outstanding and it is great to see him and Mulligan continue to become superstars. I'd see this for sure. You might lose patience with it if you don't like slow paced films, but try to stick with it!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 03:15 PM   #519
Agent Richard07
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Good thing they had two theaters open for Get the Gringo the other night - so many VIPs at the red carpet event for the movie, they filled up the first one too quickly! I wound up in the second theater, and had to watch the post-film Q&A on the screen bein' broadcast from the second theater.

Decent enough movie, reminded me of Payback, where Mel Gibson was also playin' a bad guy but not the worst guy...

And some of it was filmed here in Texas, so yay! for that.

I did not get an autograph, but Mel Gibson did growl at me when I tried to get one. So, there's that...
Looks like Mel Gibson put his foot in his mouth again.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
12. "Shame" (2011) A Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan. Directed By Steve McQueen. Fassbender plays a man struggling with a serious sex addiction. This film is dark, moody and slow in some places, but the fascinating thing about it is the character study of Fassbender's Brandon as he deals with his visiting sister Sissy (Mulligan) and continues to try and hide his addiction. Beautifully shot, written, and acted. Fassbender was truly outstanding and it is great to see him and Mulligan continue to become superstars. I'd see this for sure. You might lose patience with it if you don't like slow paced films, but try to stick with it!
I thought that Mulligan's singing ran a bit long.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 09:49 PM   #520
nvek86
Commander

52. Chronicle

I probably would have liked the film better, if i hadn't had higher expectations based on the reviews. But I found it to be just a pretty standard, mostly well acted, origin story.
The big gimmick here - the found footage look - works great in some parts (especially during the final battle, there are a few moments when you really feel like what it must be like to be a civilian during a superhero battle), but in others it was completely unbelievable. I think it would have been better if they had gone the District 9 route and clearly switched between "found footage" and being a normal film.
Old April 21 2012, 11:15 PM   #521
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@AgentRichard07...I agree, but think it was supposed to be slow. It was sung sad on purpose and obviously affected Brandon on a deep emotional level since it illicited tears from him. It was very uniquely sung I thought and done that way on purpose.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 09:14 AM   #522
Harvey
Admiral

58. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (B+)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: My enthusiasm for this film has been slightly tempered upon re-watch -- but only slightly. I've noticed a few more plot holes, the villain is unremarkable (in fact, it turns out his two biggest scenes were cut from the movie entirely), and Jeremy Renner's character never really impresses, but it doesn't really matter.

The Dubai sequence is the most thrilling piece of cinema in a Hollywood movie since the Langley sequence from the first Mission: Impossible. The rest of the action is exciting and inventive, too, and the movie has a good sense of humor about itself ("Mission accomplished!"). Considering how good Tom Cruise looks at nearly fifty, I see no reason why Paramount can't get another sequel -- or two -- out of the series before retiring the Ethan Hunt character (or relegating him to a supporting role).

Theatres: 22
Home Video: 32 +1
Computer: 4

Old April 22 2012, 09:20 AM   #523
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I am amazed at how Tom Cruise looks at 50. It's almost like he doesn't age. Other than being a bit more muscular, how he looks now isn't all that much different from when he played Maverick in Top Gun.

It's been a while but was the Dubai scene you were talking about the sandstorm scene? If it was, I thought it was a little too long. It was a good scene, but it might have been better slightly edited. If not, than I don't remember the scene you're talking about.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; April 23 2012 at 12:21 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 10:20 AM   #524
Harvey
Admiral

I'm referring more to the skyscraper climb, but the sand storm was part of the sequence, too, and I thought it didn't overstay its welcome. The digital effect of the sand didn't always hold up, though.

Old April 22 2012, 03:09 PM   #525
CaptainCanada
Admiral

47. Downfall (A+)

As stated in an earlier post, one of my top ten favourite films of all time. The film is a riveting portrayal of the final days of the Nazi regime. The director manages to make a film that consists mostly of a few rooms and hallways visually interesting (the exterior shots are excellent too), and the performances are all great, centred, of course, around Bruno Ganz as Hitler. Alexandra Lara has the audience surrogate role as Hitler's secretary, and she's almost as important to the success of the film, though she obviously didn't attract nearly as much attention.

Cinema: 10
Home Video: 32 (+1)
Computer: 5

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote