Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 17 2012, 09:16 AM   #31
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Re: Terminator: Reboot

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
If you were Skynet and creating a terminator then that would be the smart thing to do. However if you were a director casting the lead villain in a movie that wouldn't be so smart.
But I'm not a director, I'm Skynet.

Don't get me wrong a terminator who isn't built like a Sherman tank isn't a bad idea, since they are infiltrator units. However you still have to cast somebody intimidating in the part.
All you need is a great actor, probably not Patrick Schwarzenegger, but someone with his looks could be good. A pretty boy who looks like a weak shrimp and can turn on his intimidating killer machine stare on command would be my first choice for the Terminator.

Last edited by Takeru; April 17 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 09:29 AM   #32
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I'd say let Dillahunt take a shot at the big screen, he does a good terminator
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 02:35 PM   #33
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Internet is Skynet and the end has already begun!
Old April 18 2012, 03:48 AM   #34
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I agree Ryan Gosling (or his Hollywood twin Ben Foster) would be a great Terminator. And I'll watch Jennifer Lawrence in just about anything.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'd drop the vaporizer thing personally. And we aren't all on Facebook or am I the only one left?
I don't do Facebook, MySpace or Twitter either, too much exposure of your computer, IMHO.
I avoid it specifically to avoid being easily tracked down by Skynet.

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm with James Cameron on this one. The two best stories were already told in T1 and T2, and with the coolest Terminator you could ever have in Swarzenegger.
Actually, James Cameron has been working as an unofficial consultant on Terminator 5, which would bring back Arnie as the T-800 again.

"I was talking to him back in fall about a new Terminator film and quietly advising on that, I suppose you could say. I was trying to be as encouraging as possible. Frankly, at that time, I thought it needed to be more about him. I told him he should not do it until it's focused on his character or he shouldn't do it. I think there are some great stories that can be told about that character that haven't even been thought of yet."
http://www.movieweb.com/news/james-c...s-on-the-t-800
Old April 18 2012, 06:11 PM   #35
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Essentially, every Terminator film was a reboot.

The first film was a closed loop. Subsequent ones, including the TV series, always rebooted it. There's not a consistent one in the bunch.
There are some arguments in favor of T1 not being a predestination paradox and there being an existing timeline where John Connor has a different father than Kyle Reese, didn't learn to fight the Machines from his mother (or at least, she wasn't informed of them before the war and couldn't prepare him for leadership until after Judgment Day), and where Skynet was developed and started a nuclear war without the technology from the future first spurring on its creation.

http://io9.com/5191092/10-different-...nator-universe

Personally, I kind of prefer the closed loop of T1, but since the other films and TV shows ditch the closed loop idea and establish that each incident of time travel creates alternate timelines, this makes sense as well.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 12:40 AM   #36
Disruptor
Commodore

The inconspicuous terminator idea made me realize if they did a remake the "big reveal" would be that one of the normal average-built human characters was a second Terminator. Probably "Kyle Reese"...not the real Kyle Reese. A terminator killed Kyle, skinned him and is now wearing Reese's pieces.

Prompting people online to say "I guessed that early on..."
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 07:51 PM   #37
Tom
Rear Admiral

Dont forget the other 3 sequels to Terminator, The Matrix, 1, 2 and 3!! LOL. Set in the the 22nd century of the Terminator universe .. LOL i joke, but you know there is no proof that they could not be connected if John Connor failed and the machines enslaved all the humans.
Old April 19 2012, 08:48 PM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Terminator and Matrix couldn't be connected, if only for the fact that Skynet didn't want to enslave humanity - it wanted to *destroy* it.

Unlike the Matrix, where the machines lived off the energy generated by human bodies and so it wouldn't have been in their best interests to let humanity die.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 09:08 PM   #39
Tom
Rear Admiral

^ Terminator and Matrix couldn't be connected, if only for the fact that Skynet didn't want to enslave humanity - it wanted to *destroy* it.

Unlike the Matrix, where the machines lived off the energy generated by human bodies and so it wouldn't have been in their best interests to let humanity die.
Not according to Terminator: Salvation, remember they took them to a slave camp in San francisco. The still needed human to do some things, otherwise why capture them at all??

...So the humans led by john connor revolt, and think they killed skynet only to find out they did not, and Skynet lives. the humans then get desperate and blacken the sky but that does not work becuse Skynet learns it can get its energy from a human being ... etc..
Old April 19 2012, 09:12 PM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Tom wrote: View Post

Not according to Terminator: Salvation, remember they took them to a slave camp in San francisco. The still needed human to do some things, otherwise why capture them at all??
Just a means to an end. It seems clear that Skynet really did want to wipe out humanity. Otherwise, why start a nuclear war to begin with? That alone means extinction.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2012, 12:20 AM   #41
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Terminator and Matrix couldn't be connected, if only for the fact that Skynet didn't want to enslave humanity - it wanted to *destroy* it.

You could argue that as Skynet's intelligence & self-awareness increased, that it started to develop human-like emotions, such as hatred, resentment, & a desire for revenge. It always seemed to me that the machines in The Matrix were motivated by some complex sense of hatred of humans in addition to their logical goals of survival. The machines created the Matrix as a replica of Earth during the pinnacle of human civilization to mock us.

As for the Terminator timeline being a closed loop, I infinitely prefer that version. And if it hadn't been for James Cameron pinning a date on Judgment Day in T2, the movies could still exist as one closed loop.
Old April 20 2012, 02:43 AM   #42
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
They already rebooted the franchise with the tv show. Didn't work out.
Good point. And, it wasn't very long ago either. To try rebooting the franchise yet again, more time will have to pass. Just my $0.02.
Old April 20 2012, 03:00 AM   #43
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I'm fine with a continuation rather than a reboot. Well I'm fine with it so long as McG's stupid idea for T5 never comes to fruition. It was just a dumb excuse to bring back Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2012, 07:03 AM   #44
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
They already rebooted the franchise with the tv show. Didn't work out.
The same thing was said about a certain..other..beloved franchise of ours circa 2005, no?
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2012, 09:46 AM   #45
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

The whole thing of the scrawny, emotional Terminator is logical, but I dont think it would work. It was the inhuman qualities of Arnold's Terminator that made the character, as it was with Garrett Dillahunt's Cromartie/John Henry. Terminators are unnatural and I think are best portrayed as such.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote