Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 19 2012, 05:48 AM   #91
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Something The Last Airbender did really well was the music, and I'm glad to see The Legend of Korra continuing to have some really fun music - I especially loved the "jazzy" bit that played when Korra was running from the cops.
Old April 19 2012, 11:42 AM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral

I actually prefer the original series music, I didn't really like the jazz music... felt like I was watching Cowboy Bebop or something

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 12:50 PM   #93
Christopher
Writer

I thought the music here was richer and better than in A:TLA. It's by the same composer, but it has a lusher, more cinematic flavor, maybe because this show skews to an older demographic. The jazzy bits were just one of the flavors we heard, and there were a lot of really striking and beautiful cues. I'd love to have a soundtrack album of the first two episodes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 02:35 PM   #94
SG-17
Commodore

I can't wait to see what happens when Korra discovers the Avatar state and manages to commune with Aang. Hopefully they will have a Solstice episode that will cover the latter.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 05:19 PM   #95
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I thought the music here was richer and better than in A:TLA. It's by the same composer, but it has a lusher, more cinematic flavor, maybe because this show skews to an older demographic. The jazzy bits were just one of the flavors we heard, and there were a lot of really striking and beautiful cues. I'd love to have a soundtrack album of the first two episodes.
The creators have described it as Asiatic Jazz.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 06:09 PM   #96
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, I heard that. But what I'm saying is that most of the music we heard was not in that jazzy style, but it's the only part of the music anyone seems to be mentioning. I'm trying to broaden the conversation to acknowledge the rest of the music, much of which was amazing. I was particularly struck by the cue early in episode 1 where Korra took her polar bear-dog out onto the ice for a walk, the scene just before Tenzin and his family first appeared. My thought on hearing that was "very Tan Dun."

Old April 19 2012, 07:51 PM   #97
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

There was one musical cue that reminded me a lot of some of Murray Gold's work on Doctor Who but with an Asian sound, the "mournful/thoughtful" piece. I can't place the exact setting of it, but it was really striking.
Old April 21 2012, 05:15 PM   #98
SG-17
Commodore

Wow... that was amazing.

Old April 21 2012, 05:34 PM   #99
JD
Admiral

Was it on this morning? I forgot to look for it.
Old April 21 2012, 06:12 PM   #100
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Was it on this morning? I forgot to look for it.
Wow, you mean you haven't restructured your whole life around making sure you don't miss a moment of Korra? Inconceivable!

It's on again at 3 PM Eastern today (Saturday), as well as 7:30 AM and 8 PM tomorrow, Monday at 4:30 PM, Thursday at 5:30 PM, Friday at 8:30 PM, and next Saturday at 8 AM.

Since you haven't seen it yet, I'll spoiler-code the big stuff.

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Wow... that was amazing.
Amazing is a pretty good word for it. I was concerned that the first two episodes didn't do enough to spell out the stakes of this series, but this one more than made up for that. It was very powerful.

As for the former, that was exactly what I expected -- that they'd use lightning-benders to create electricity (which is hardly a major spoiler, just a background detail). What is interesting is how common the ability seems to be. Seventy years ago, lightning-bending was a top-level skill that, as far as we saw, was possessed only by members of Sozin's dynasty (Ozai, Iroh, and Azula could generate lightning; Zuko could only redirect it). Now it's become much more commonplace. Which is similar to the proliferation of metalbending since Toph first discovered it. I wonder what reforms and institutions Aang, Zuko, and their allies put into place in building this new civilization that enabled such high-level abilities to proliferate to this degree.

But then, maybe it's just an improved educational system. There are analogies in our own history, a lot of things (like literacy or computer programming) that were once the disciplines of an elite few but are now far more universal. An increase in urbanization brings more people within reach of higher education and advanced knowledge, and improvements in communication and transportation allow knowledge to be spread faster and more widely. So in the Avatar World, advanced bending knowledge that was once in the hands of a few great masters spread widely around the world, and therefore only accessible to a limited few, may have become more common knowledge.

Old April 21 2012, 06:24 PM   #101
SG-17
Commodore

Wow... that was amazing.
Amazing is a pretty good word for it. I was concerned that the first two episodes didn't do enough to spell out the stakes of this series, but this one more than made up for that. It was very powerful.

As for the former, that was exactly what I expected -- that they'd use lightning-benders to create electricity (which is hardly a major spoiler, just a background detail). What is interesting is how common the ability seems to be. Seventy years ago, lightning-bending was a top-level skill that, as far as we saw, was possessed only by members of Sozin's dynasty (Ozai, Iroh, and Azula could generate lightning; Zuko could only redirect it). Now it's become much more commonplace. Which is similar to the proliferation of metalbending since Toph first discovered it. I wonder what reforms and institutions Aang, Zuko, and their allies put into place in building this new civilization that enabled such high-level abilities to proliferate to this degree.

But then, maybe it's just an improved educational system. There are analogies in our own history, a lot of things (like literacy or computer programming) that were once the disciplines of an elite few but are now far more universal. An increase in urbanization brings more people within reach of higher education and advanced knowledge, and improvements in communication and transportation allow knowledge to be spread faster and more widely. So in the Avatar World, advanced bending knowledge that was once in the hands of a few great masters spread widely around the world, and therefore only accessible to a limited few, may have become more common knowledge.

The thing is though they also heavily show steam being used as a power source, not to mention the gasoline powered satomobiles and the energy packs being carried around by the Equalists.

But yes, the parallels between literacy rates in our world and the ability to specialty bending in their world is most likely purposely similar.

Also this bit of information was posted on the Nick website yesterday that I thought you all would enjoy.

Old April 21 2012, 06:42 PM   #102
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Wow... that was amazing.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 06:56 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

The former possibility in your second paragraph vaguely occurred to me, but since Bolin was one of the intended victims, I very much doubt it's true. The latter suggestion is plausible, though.

The suggestion in the first paragraph is a reach, and I'd need some evidence for it before I took it seriously. Though Hound of UIster makes an interesting suggestion about it.

The thing is though they also heavily show steam being used as a power source, not to mention the gasoline powered satomobiles and the energy packs being carried around by the Equalists.
Sure, but why not use every power source available to them? We use coal and oil and natural gas and hydroelectric and wind power and whatever else is available. Benders can be a power source themselves, so why not use them alongside other sources? Especially if it's a way to employ them and make them contributing members of the Republic's economy.

Hmm, maybe.

Also this bit of information was posted on the Nick website yesterday that I thought you all would enjoy.
Neat!

Old April 21 2012, 08:24 PM   #104
JD
Admiral

Wow, you mean you haven't restructured your whole life around making sure you don't miss a moment of Korra? Inconceivable!
I'm not used to there being new stuff I watch on in the morning. I was thrilled because I actually remembered to watch Green Lantern and Young Justice this morning. I usually watch them online, and this only the second or third time I've actually watched them live. I'm working at most of the after noon today so I won't be able to watch it then, but Nik does have quite a bit of stuff online, so I'll keep an eye out and see if they add it there. Never mind, I just checked and it's on again a bunch of times throughout the week, hopefully one of those times will be when I'm not working.
Old April 21 2012, 08:42 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

I just watched it again. I love it that Korra's definition of "cautious" is "kick the door in." But I'm wondering where her superstrength comes from. In episode one, she was able to pick up Tenzin and at least two of his children in a bear hug, even though he's bigger than she is. And here she did things like knocking Mako across the room with a medicine ball and lifting that Equalist orator off the ground one-handed. I mean, obviously she works out and is well-muscled, but those and the door kick seem beyond normal human ability. Not that I mind -- strong women are sexy -- but superstrength never seemed to be part of an Avatar's power set before.

Also, can Korra metalbend? She seems to have mastered every bending discipline save air, but it seemed that when she was trying to get the machine to release steam, she could've simply used metalbending to split the seams.

I love the shot where Mako and Korra are walking past the spinny-things contraption and it rotates behind them in 3D as the camera tracks them. Reminds me of the old Fleischer Popeye cartoons where they'd build a miniature background on a turntable and rotate it behind the cels.