Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 16 2012, 03:47 AM   #556
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished reading The Hunger Games and will hopefully be able to pick up Catching Fire tomorrow. I'm planning to read the whole HG trilogy before moving in ST: Vanguard and reading all of those this summer.
Old April 16 2012, 03:51 AM   #557
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ I just took a break from Vanguard and read the Hunger Games trilogy as well. We're doing retro review threads on all the Vanguard books this year, be sure to pay those a visit and add your voice .
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 03:55 AM   #558
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

Sho wrote: View Post
^ I just took a break from Vanguard and read the Hunger Games trilogy as well. We're doing retro review threads on all the Vanguard books this year, be sure to pay those a visit and add your voice .
I will do so once I get into Vanguard. I'm hoping that in the time it takes me to read the first two novels I can find 3 and 4 (I have all the others).
Old April 16 2012, 04:01 AM   #559
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm back on a Trek kick, so I decided it was long past time to finish off the various Trek novels I've bought over the last few years. Currently making my way through Titan: The Red King.

And yes, I've already read Taking Wing. I'm not an ignoramus.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 04:14 AM   #560
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

^ Loved the Titan novels. I'm eagerly awaiting the new one coming out in July.
Old April 16 2012, 11:43 AM   #561
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished Prophecy and Change the other day. A little more mixed bag than I would have expected. There were really only two standout entries (Terri Osborne's and Heather Jarman's). I felt the majority of the pre-DW stories were wasted on explaining things that didn't need to be explained as opposed to being wholly original. (Chris's story was probably my third favorite overall because it avoided this.) Still, it was a good read overall and very consistent with the Relaunch. "Skipping" Season 2, but having 3 stories set during Season 6 seemed odd, too. Sadly, Andrew Robinson's story was hampered by his insistence on not retelling/expanding on the Dream Box. I felt I got as much as I could from the tale, but ultimately it would have been helped by a brief, straight forward summary of the play, rather than the messy, vague one we got.

Just got started on A Time to Be Born, which is pretty good so far. I'm already 1/3 through it. Much as I'm enjoying it, there are a few things that I find a little annoying. Picard's penchant in John Vornholt novels to be distracted by pretty women is beyond cliche and it'd be terribly embarrassing for a career officer to have this happen so often in a 3 year span (Gemworld, Genesis Wave). Secondly, I wish we could get away from the "All captains that aren't Kirk or Picard are terrible." angle. It went away during a lot of the TNG Movie-era novels I'd read. Admittedly, it could all be part of the story, but it got too be overbearing early on and the more chapters of someone with less seniority than Picard lording things over him just get a bit boring.
Old April 16 2012, 02:08 PM   #562
Christopher
Writer

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Finished Prophecy and Change the other day. A little more mixed bag than I would have expected. There were really only two standout entries (Terri Osborne's and Heather Jarman's). I felt the majority of the pre-DW stories were wasted on explaining things that didn't need to be explained as opposed to being wholly original. (Chris's story was probably my third favorite overall because it avoided this.)
Thanks, but that's a surprising assessment, since the purpose of "...Loved I Not Honor More" was to explain why Grilka completely disappeared from the show after Quark successfully wooed her.

Really, that was kind of the whole mandate Marco gave us for Prophecy and Change -- to fill in the gaps in DS9's normally tight continuity, to explain the changes that happened offscreen or got glossed over (hence the title).

Still, it was a good read overall and very consistent with the Relaunch. "Skipping" Season 2, but having 3 stories set during Season 6 seemed odd, too.
That's just the way it broke down. There was no requirement for every season to be covered; writers pitched stories about events or gaps that interested them, and Marco picked the ones he thought would work best. Since events really picked up as the series went on, it's not surprising that there were more stories set in later seasons. (Actually there are only two stories set in season 6, one set between 6 & 7, and two in 7.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 01:05 PM   #563
Fer
Commander

I finished up Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi - Apocalypse. I felt it was a good ending to the Fate of the Jedi series.

I also finished Julia Hoban's Willow and have started Catching Fire. I'm planning on reading Vanguard: Storming Heaven next.
Old April 17 2012, 06:58 PM   #564
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I started By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer. I'm on a Titanic reading streak right now and I figured this would be a good book. So far, so good.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 07:31 PM   #565
captcalhoun
Admiral

re-reading DTI Watching the Clock. Still makes me smile that the epigraph is an Einstein quote followed by one from Doctor Who.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 06:31 AM   #566
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
re-reading DTI Watching the Clock. Still makes me smile that the epigraph is an Einstein quote followed by one from Doctor Who.
Out of curiosity, what's the Doctor Who one? I haven't read the book.
Old April 18 2012, 07:25 AM   #567
captcalhoun
Admiral

it's the Doctor's line from Blink about time not being a strict progression of cause and effect.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff"
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 02:42 PM   #568
indianatrekker26
Captain

Continuing my massive TNG/DS9/VOY chronological reading. I'm currently in beginning of TNG season 3 time, with "Exiles." In the last week and a half, i have plowed through A Call to Darkness, A Rock and a Hard Place, Gulliver's Fugitives, Doomsday World and Exiles. Tonight i'll start The Forgotten War.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 03:26 PM   #569
Mysterio
Lieutenant

I just started Ready Player One. I'm only a couple of chapters into it but so far I'm enjoying it. Hope to have it finished before Forgotten History becomes available.
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 04:36 PM   #570
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it's the Doctor's line from Blink about time not being a strict progression of cause and effect.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff"
Awesome.