RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,172
Posts: 5,435,374
Members: 24,941
Currently online: 525
Newest member: Andrewlmiles

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 17 2012, 03:20 PM   #181
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

Somewhere else on this board is information on where they got and what they used for the button on the set for TOS, and where they can be bought today. Since I have ZERO personal interest in producing fan films, I didn't take note of it. But somebody might be able to guide you to that posting.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 04:28 PM   #182
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Mods - I'm not a spambot, I'm answering x32's question.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:50 PM   #183
x32
Lieutenant
 
x32's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Mods - I'm not a spambot, I'm answering x32's question.
Thanks, but this set is already in my won't work collection.
x32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 07:10 PM   #184
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

Really? What's the problem with them?

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 08:05 PM   #185
x32
Lieutenant
 
x32's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Really? What's the problem with them?

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.
With this set the cubes don't taper, they are square but the corners are rounded inward. If you look closely, at the tray, where the edges of 4 cubes meet it looks like a circle. Hope that makes sense.
x32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 08:15 PM   #186
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

Ah.

Good luck.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 09:13 PM   #187
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral
 
MikeH92467's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 09:40 PM   #188
x32
Lieutenant
 
x32's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.
Remember we do have Exeter's set. I can use their buttons to create my own molds, only I was hoping to not need to. I've never made a mold for anything before. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never casted anything before or even thought about doing it. But by this time next week I'll probably have slightly irregular molds filling my trash can, and in a couple of weeks some usable molds and maybe even new buttons.
x32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 10:14 PM   #189
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral
 
MikeH92467's Avatar
 
Location: Boise, ID
View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

x32 wrote: View Post
MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.
Remember we do have Exeter's set. I can use their buttons to create my own molds, only I was hoping to not need to. I've never made a mold for anything before. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never casted anything before or even thought about doing it. But by this time next week I'll probably have slightly irregular molds filling my trash can, and in a couple of weeks some usable molds and maybe even new buttons.
Well, one of the reasons I got involved with a fan production was to add to my skill set and after a long, slow learning curve I have certainly done that! Good luck and when things get too frustrating, just remind yourself how much fun you're having!
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 10:23 PM   #190
Tribble Herder
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

x32 wrote: View Post
One big change we are making, after running some numbers I've discovered we will save many, muches amounts of money by using lcd screens for the bridge displays instead of building light boxes. It's a move I don't really care for but in the interest of time and cost it's our best and, at the present, only option. I hope in the future to be able to build the displays and replace the monitors.
I sense a run on iPads in the Oklahoma City area coming soon...
Tribble Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 10:45 PM   #191
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander
 
dayxday1000's Avatar
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

If memory serves, the name of the person who created the buttons for Starship Exeter is Art Retallick. Here's his linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/artretallick

It might be worth your time to send him an email and see if he'll respond.
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 12:24 AM   #192
scifib5st
Commander
 
scifib5st's Avatar
 
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

How about a short video or some pictures to see how things are going???? Please
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 05:43 AM   #193
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".
__________________
* * *
"The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress."
—Philip Roth
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 06:02 AM   #194
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral
 
Ryan Thomas Riddle's Avatar
 
Location: The Bay Area
View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

x32 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Really? What's the problem with them?

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.
With this set the cubes don't taper, they are square but the corners are rounded inward. If you look closely, at the tray, where the edges of 4 cubes meet it looks like a circle. Hope that makes sense.
What Maurice says ...

Maurice wrote: View Post
The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".
But I want to add that this is also the type of thinking that I feel plagues fan films. So overly concerned with inconsequential minutia, such as matching a button detail that won't even really be seen, rather than things that should really matter —*the story they are telling.
__________________
A mild-mannered reporter
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 06:16 AM   #195
x32
Lieutenant
 
x32's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

Maurice wrote: View Post
The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".
This is true, but none of the ice trays are even close so it would stand out. I think I have this problem solved thanks to some friends at the TPZ. Looks like the marble problem is solved too. At least things are moving forward on that end.

As far as the build goes, we are right back to where we left off before the move, getting those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but if you want to see video of where we are now, you can look at the video we posted the first of January. That's where we are now. While I was away for my paying job nothing got done with the build. I'm back at it now and hopefully we'll start making progress again as soon as we get those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

Actually since I've been back we've achieved quite a bit but much of it has been work on the new building instead of the bridge. I promise as soon as we get something new to show I'll post it.

On a side note, we sat in our bridge the other night and watched, on the view screen, Star Trek Phase II, "The Child". If you have not watched this yet it is a must. They have done an incredible job and achieved a new level of quality for a fan film. Great acting, Great story, Great sets, Great CGI, Great directing. It is really like watching a brand new TOS episode. I can't wait for the next episode which as I understand it, won't be long.
x32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.