The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 17 2012, 03:20 PM   #181
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship AJAX Production

Somewhere else on this board is information on where they got and what they used for the button on the set for TOS, and where they can be bought today. Since I have ZERO personal interest in producing fan films, I didn't take note of it. But somebody might be able to guide you to that posting.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 04:28 PM   #182
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Mods - I'm not a spambot, I'm answering x32's question.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:50 PM   #183
x32
Lieutenant

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Cubette-Mini-I.../dp/B000I1ZXIK

Mods - I'm not a spambot, I'm answering x32's question.
Thanks, but this set is already in my won't work collection.
x32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 07:10 PM   #184
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Really? What's the problem with them?

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.
Old April 17 2012, 08:05 PM   #185
x32
Lieutenant

I have several trays that I used to make buttons for the Starship Farragut bridge. I could take a look at them and see where they came from.
With this set the cubes don't taper, they are square but the corners are rounded inward. If you look closely, at the tray, where the edges of 4 cubes meet it looks like a circle. Hope that makes sense.
Old April 17 2012, 08:15 PM   #186
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ah.

Good luck.
Old April 17 2012, 09:13 PM   #187
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 09:40 PM   #188
x32
Lieutenant

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
This is an area where I think "close enough" would be "good enough". Even though ships may come from a specific line, each one is going to be a bit different, so if you're switches and buttons are slightly different from another version, that adds to authenticity in my opinon, instead of detracting from it.
Remember we do have Exeter's set. I can use their buttons to create my own molds, only I was hoping to not need to. I've never made a mold for anything before. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never casted anything before or even thought about doing it. But by this time next week I'll probably have slightly irregular molds filling my trash can, and in a couple of weeks some usable molds and maybe even new buttons.
Old April 17 2012, 10:14 PM   #189
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

x32 wrote: View Post
MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Remember we do have Exeter's set. I can use their buttons to create my own molds, only I was hoping to not need to. I've never made a mold for anything before. Until a couple of weeks ago I had never casted anything before or even thought about doing it. But by this time next week I'll probably have slightly irregular molds filling my trash can, and in a couple of weeks some usable molds and maybe even new buttons.
Well, one of the reasons I got involved with a fan production was to add to my skill set and after a long, slow learning curve I have certainly done that! Good luck and when things get too frustrating, just remind yourself how much fun you're having!
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 10:23 PM   #190
Tribble Herder
Lieutenant Commander

One big change we are making, after running some numbers I've discovered we will save many, muches amounts of money by using lcd screens for the bridge displays instead of building light boxes. It's a move I don't really care for but in the interest of time and cost it's our best and, at the present, only option. I hope in the future to be able to build the displays and replace the monitors.
I sense a run on iPads in the Oklahoma City area coming soon...
Tribble Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 10:45 PM   #191
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

If memory serves, the name of the person who created the buttons for Starship Exeter is Art Retallick. Here's his linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/artretallick

It might be worth your time to send him an email and see if he'll respond.
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 12:24 AM   #192
scifib5st
Commander

How about a short video or some pictures to see how things are going???? Please
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 05:43 AM   #193
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 06:02 AM   #194
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

With this set the cubes don't taper, they are square but the corners are rounded inward. If you look closely, at the tray, where the edges of 4 cubes meet it looks like a circle. Hope that makes sense.
What Maurice says ...

Maurice wrote: View Post
The reality is that unless you're doing super tight closeups of the button, the difference isn't going to be noticeable. It can become a problem if you lose sight of the set as a film set with a practical function and start treating it like a "museum piece".
But I want to add that this is also the type of thinking that I feel plagues fan films. So overly concerned with inconsequential minutia, such as matching a button detail that won't even really be seen, rather than things that should really matter —*the story they are telling.
Old April 30 2012, 06:16 AM   #195
x32
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post
This is true, but none of the ice trays are even close so it would stand out. I think I have this problem solved thanks to some friends at the TPZ. Looks like the marble problem is solved too. At least things are moving forward on that end.

As far as the build goes, we are right back to where we left off before the move, getting those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but if you want to see video of where we are now, you can look at the video we posted the first of January. That's where we are now. While I was away for my paying job nothing got done with the build. I'm back at it now and hopefully we'll start making progress again as soon as we get those *^$!@&%$ roof pieces in place and lined up.

Actually since I've been back we've achieved quite a bit but much of it has been work on the new building instead of the bridge. I promise as soon as we get something new to show I'll post it.

On a side note, we sat in our bridge the other night and watched, on the view screen, Star Trek Phase II, "The Child". If you have not watched this yet it is a must. They have done an incredible job and achieved a new level of quality for a fan film. Great acting, Great story, Great sets, Great CGI, Great directing. It is really like watching a brand new TOS episode. I can't wait for the next episode which as I understand it, won't be long.