TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

View Poll Results: Which one?
TMP 16 16.67%
TWOK 0 0%
TSFS 32 33.33%
TVH 1 1.04%
TFF 15 15.63%
TUC 8 8.33%
GEN 6 6.25%
FC 1 1.04%
INS 9 9.38%
NEM 8 8.33%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13 2012, 07:53 PM   #31
Captain Mike
Commodore

Re: The Most Underrated Movie?

Well Back to the OP after some serious thought. I for one enjoyed every Trek film from TOS to TNG. Most of the time I really don't understand various fans reactions to needing to dissect and rip them apart.
Sure there are some that I enjoy more than others, but I never really didn't have the need to the whole "nit-picking " thing.
So in all honesty, I didn't place a vote at all.
Old April 17 2012, 01:57 AM   #32
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Yeah, ST III suffers from being the "middle child" between Khan and the whales, but it's still a fun movie in its own right.
Yes. The Search for Spock is easily the most underrated of the bunch. I see it as the perfect companion piece to The Wrath of Khan.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 08:17 AM   #33
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the votes and comments, everyone.

Would love to hear some from those who voted for one the other films that haven't been discussed much. No counter-critiques --- this is a sunshine thread
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Gojira
Commodore

Trek III gets my vote. We have the Klingons featured in their first movie, a great over the top performance by Christopher Lloyd, Spock's "spirit" is entrapped within Dr. McCoy, Kirk et al. steal the Enterprise, sabotage the Excelsior, Kirk's son is killed, the Enterprise is blown up, Kirk kills the Klingon Captain and Spock is reunited with his spirit in a ceremony that gives us a further glimpse into Vulcan culture.

This movie has everything a Trek fan could ask for!!

I also like Final Frontier, the humor is very dated but otherwise it has a great theme and very good character development.
Old April 17 2012, 06:26 PM   #35
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I think Undiscovered Country. For me it shares the #1 spot with WOK. It rarely gets any attention at all.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:36 PM   #36
sonak
Vice Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I think Undiscovered Country. For me it shares the #1 spot with WOK. It rarely gets any attention at all.

Huh? TUC is usually rated very highly. I don't think of it as "underrated" at all.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2012, 02:44 AM   #37
cml898
Lieutenant

I'm another vote for Star Trek III just because it's lumped with the "bad" odd numbered Treks, and it happens to be a favorite of mine. But I also want to say I agree that V deserves some respect for being the only Trek film to really focus on the Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship. However there's just nothing else I like about it.
cml898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 07:01 PM   #38
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Star Trek V The Final Frontier.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 11:10 PM   #39
Amasov
Rear Admiral

While it's generally accepted that the even numbered movies are the stronger entries, I still feel that The Undiscovered Country is often glossed over. I'm not sure why, it just feels like it doesn't get enough praise. I've never heard anyone say it wasn't good, but I've never really seen it get as much love as the other even numbered movies had - Nemesis doesn't count.

I recently created thread on how I don't think The Final Frontier is that terrible.

Insurrection was another one I always liked. First Contact was always my favorite TNG film, but Insurrection is right after it. I've stated this before, but I really think Insurrection is the most Roddenberry-like Star Trek movie.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 02:49 AM   #40
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

It was a toss up to me with The Search For Spock and Insurrection. But I think the general opinion of The Search For Spock gets a much more general positive review than Insurrection, so I went with Insurrection.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 04:39 AM   #41
Elder Knight
Captain

Pleasantly surprised to see so much agreement for TSFS.

Where it was hokey or clumsy, it nicely recalled the TV series. It moved along at a nice clip. It almost had a surprise (Nimoy wasn't listed in the opening credeits cast), and the ending had me cheering.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 04:50 PM   #42
datagal
Admiral

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Well Back to the OP after some serious thought. I for one enjoyed every Trek film from TOS to TNG. Most of the time I really don't understand various fans reactions to needing to dissect and rip them apart.
Sure there are some that I enjoy more than others, but I never really didn't have the need to the whole "nit-picking " thing.
So in all honesty, I didn't place a vote at all.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Can a fan just like a Trek movie because he/she like it?
Maybe I'm not the diehard fan of all things Trek, but I'm still think of myself as a fan.

I think that ST III is the most underrated movie. Second is ST:UC.
As for TNG movies, GEN is most underrated movie. Not as good as FC, but it's still pretty good. I like NEM. (I just like it, sue me). I just wasn't feeling INS. Too wussy for my taste.

rmi
datagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 05:04 PM   #43
gazomg
Commander

Insurrection for me.

Far from the best movie but certainly not the worst it seems to have got lost in the shuffle when people list their movies.

Most fans harp on about the original stars in the movies, or the new JJ heaps of rubbish of the initial picard ones but this to me seems to get zero publicity in comparison to the others

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 05:35 PM   #44
Jeyl
Commodore

Star Trek III has one of my favorite villain/hero stories in the entire series, even more so than the Wrath of Khan*.

I just liked how in The Search for Spock, there are three stories going on. One with Kirk and crew, one with David and Saavik, and the other with Kruge. The Kruge dynamic is great because this is a villain who knows nothing of Kirk short of being involved with the Genesis Device, and is only going after the Genesis Device for his own personal gain and not for some typical revenge plot. And when Kirk and Kruge finally meet, nothing is the same. Of all the times Kirk has used his diplomacy and authority to get what he wants out of his foes, it's Kruge that pins Kirk down.

And not many fans say this, but I find the destruction of the Enterprise to be a perfect example of Kirk finally accepting what the "No Win" scenario was all about. No matter how good you are, no matter what choices you have, you will always lose something as a result. He never saw it that way because he thought he could save everything like his ship and the Maru, but it wasn't until TWOK where he literally faced the no-win scenario for real. Not in the sense that klingons come in and blow up the Enterprise, but that no choice you made would lead to a good one (leave the maru to die, or try to rescue the maru and die yourself).

*I AM NOT DISSING TWOK! I LOVE TWOK!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 06:38 PM   #45
22 Stars
Commodore

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Star Trek III has one of my favorite villain/hero stories in the entire series, even more so than the Wrath of Khan*.

I just liked how in The Search for Spock, there are three stories going on. One with Kirk and crew, one with David and Saavik, and the other with Kruge. The Kruge dynamic is great because this is a villain who knows nothing of Kirk short of being involved with the Genesis Device, and is only going after the Genesis Device for his own personal gain and not for some typical revenge plot. And when Kirk and Kruge finally meet, nothing is the same. Of all the times Kirk has used his diplomacy and authority to get what he wants out of his foes, it's Kruge that pins Kirk down.

And not many fans say this, but I find the destruction of the Enterprise to be a perfect example of Kirk finally accepting what the "No Win" scenario was all about. No matter how good you are, no matter what choices you have, you will always lose something as a result. He never saw it that way because he thought he could save everything like his ship and the Maru, but it wasn't until TWOK where he literally faced the no-win scenario for real. Not in the sense that klingons come in and blow up the Enterprise, but that no choice you made would lead to a good one (leave the maru to die, or try to rescue the maru and die yourself).

*I AM NOT DISSING TWOK! I LOVE TWOK!
Great summary and I agree! I think with higher production values III would be in the pantheon of great Trek films!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote