RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,716
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 737
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 13 2012, 08:39 PM   #706
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

SyFy has always been basic cable here in SF (I always wonder how those things are decided - I guess SF is more of a sci fi market than other places?) Not that it's done me any good because I don't like any of their current shows.

I would have watched Blood & Chrome, even tho I was skeptical of the casting. Rewind is one of the first shows they've had in years that's piqued my interest. Hopefully they won't make the Temporal Cold War mistake and withhold details about the rules they're operating under. They need to play fair and explain the basics and not just throw any old thing out there and just say, that's how it works in our version of time travel.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 08:43 PM   #707
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

SF is certainly more metropolitan than Lexington.
Old April 13 2012, 08:43 PM   #708
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
If SyFy weren't on basic cable, like the Sci-Fi Channel wasn't on basic cable a few years ago (or Sci-Fi or whatever the heck it was called), I'd be pissed right now.
They're the same channel, just with a changed name. And it's always been basic cable on my side of the Ohio River. Your city's cable provider must've switched it from premium to basic at some point.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 08:45 PM   #709
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
If SyFy weren't on basic cable, like the Sci-Fi Channel wasn't on basic cable a few years ago (or Sci-Fi or whatever the heck it was called), I'd be pissed right now.
They're the same channel, just with a changed name. And it's always been basic cable on my side of the Ohio River. Your city's cable provider must've switched it from premium to basic at some point.
Yep. That's what I'm sayin'. But before they changed their name to SyFy.
Old April 13 2012, 08:47 PM   #710
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

SF is certainly more metropolitan than Lexington.
Last time I was in Atlanta, according to the hotel's TV schedule, SciFi (as it was then styled) was on the premium cable tier, so there are definitely big cities that aren't as sci fi friendly as SF. I figure it's the Silicon Valley tech worker influence.
Old April 15 2012, 06:52 AM   #711
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Given SyFy's audience, they'll think Rewind invented psychohistory.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
See Asimov's Foundation series.
I'm familiar with psychohistory. I was just trying to figure out if she was calling people who like the stuff on SyFy stupid.
EDIT: And I also want to apologize for being so snippy there, I've just had a really bad couple of weeks, and I've been getting really irritable. It was unnecessary.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 07:50 PM   #712
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

No problem. I wasn't calling everyone who likes stuff on SyFy stupid, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that if you polled the average SyFy viewer on the meaning of "psychohistory," you would generally get a blank stare.
Old April 16 2012, 11:51 AM   #713
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I go out on a limb saying a lot of stupid things.

It's my belief that if i wanted to be safe and rational with my choice of words, that I'd have nothing worth saying that some other fuck couldn't think up.

That being said.

The card carrying President of the Official Sharktopus Fanclub is an unqualified tool.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 07:59 PM   #714
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
What? Never!

Speaking of stupid things, Netflix's Hemlock Grove is sounding weirder than ever...

The series will explore biotechnology, gypsies and billionaires, teenage sex, adult sex, a murder mystery, psychic manipulation, a girl claiming impregnation by an angel, a boy who feels a testicular tingle when things are about to get hairy, arranged meet-ups with prostitutes in malls, an "Elephant Girl" who writes emails but never speaks, a special agent from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and eating a worm from a corpse to channel the spirit of the deceased. There will also be a werewolf and a vampire.
Old April 16 2012, 08:04 PM   #715
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

What? Never!

Speaking of stupid things, Netflix's Hemlock Grove is sounding weirder than ever...

The series will explore biotechnology, gypsies and billionaires, teenage sex, adult sex, a murder mystery, psychic manipulation, a girl claiming impregnation by an angel, a boy who feels a testicular tingle when things are about to get hairy, arranged meet-ups with prostitutes in malls, an "Elephant Girl" who writes emails but never speaks, a special agent from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and eating a worm from a corpse to channel the spirit of the deceased. There will also be a werewolf and a vampire.
LOL

That last line sounds like the most normal thing in that description.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 08:28 PM   #716
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I'm getting that funny feeling again....
Old April 16 2012, 10:09 PM   #717
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
What? Never!

LOL

That last line sounds like the most normal thing in that description.
LOL, yea, kinda like it was an afterthought, "Oh yea, and there'll be the typical Vampire and Werewolf"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 11:01 PM   #718
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

A Werewolf! Sweet. I'm in.

Actually, the description put me in mind of Preiss's Weird Heroes anthologies. And they say some good stuff in the interview, including using Twin Peaks as a benchmark. Sounds like it has potential.
Old April 17 2012, 01:13 AM   #719
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

There's also a YouTube series that bills itself as a cross between Twin Peaks and The Twilight Zone, but I checked it out and it fell sooooo far short of anything close to that, that I figured I wouldn't bother yall with it.
Old April 17 2012, 04:13 AM   #720
JD
Admiral

What? Never!

I must admit the weirdness of all of this has me very intrigued.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote