Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 16 2012, 12:36 PM   #1231
Jax
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I always feel bummed out when they bring in big name composers to work on the big emotional moments instead of the whole game. Imagine being one of the regular composers and being told you're not going to be doing the music for the big emotional scene because the studio wants a big name composer to do that one bit. It's just disappointing that Bioware/EA didn't give a seasoned Mass Effect composer the task
Agreed but I think the budget may the reason behind why they do it differently.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 02:15 PM   #1232
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, if they're going to hire a big name composer then they're going to want to get their money's worth and make sure they do the most prominent pieces.

No different than the voice actors really. I mean it'd be stupid to hire someone like Sheen if you don't have him play a major character, right?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 03:36 PM   #1233
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
No different than the voice actors really. I mean it'd be stupid to hire someone like Sheen if you don't have him play a major character, right?
Bethesda, Patrick Stewart, and Liam Neeson beg to differ.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 05:42 PM   #1234
Jeyl
Commodore

Yeah, if they're going to hire a big name composer then they're going to want to get their money's worth and make sure they do the most prominent pieces.

Actually, I would say it's quite different than voice actors because outside of singing voices, it's usually the same actor voicing the role. Now if they were replaced in the sequel, that would be different. What we have here is an actor being replaced by another actor simply because they wanted a name actor to do the voice work for a pivotal scene, even though the original actor is going to voice the character both before and after this part.

If I was running the show, I would let the composers who were already on the team do the whole thing and not just hire some outside composer who has never done video games before score only a track and a half worth of music. I'd have a lot more faith in my composers than that.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 07:14 PM   #1235
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Actually, I would say it's quite different than voice actors because outside of singing voices, it's usually the same actor voicing the role. Now if they were replaced in the sequel, that would be different. What we have here is an actor being replaced by another actor simply because they wanted a name actor to do the voice work for a pivotal scene, even though the original actor is going to voice the character both before and after this part.
You're making a big assumption here: that EA intended for Mansell to only score the two scenes. Given the last-minute manner in which the other composers were announced, and the rampant inappropriate reuse of music from the last two games, I think it's just as likely Mansell was hired to score everything and dropped the ball entirely.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 09:26 PM   #1236
Reverend
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Bethesda, Patrick Stewart, and Liam Neeson beg to differ.
Actually that supports my argument. If those two had played some While neither of those characters are in the game for long, they're major introductory characters that appear right at the forefront--just like Mansell's music--and drive the central plot forward. Also, if you think about it, Sheen as TIM has what? Half a dozen scenes spread across two games? Sure, more than your two examples, but then that's has more to do with the difference between an open world RPG and a one with an essentially linear narrative.

It's really a combination of two factors; how much the person costs to hire and where they'd have the most impact. Oblivion & Fallout 3 don't really have major antagonists or really important protagonists and you can pretty much ignore the central plot and go do whatever you want, hence all the expensive talent being front loaded in the tutorial levels. The Mass Effect games ahve a more traditional narrative structure so you can have "big name" actors take small but important roles and scatter their appearances throughout.
Old April 18 2012, 10:37 PM   #1237
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Just a quick note for anyone that missed it back during the launch; Alienware are doing the Indra Sniper Rifle promotion again. PC only I'm afraid.
Old April 19 2012, 11:07 AM   #1238
Jeyl
Commodore

Just a quick note for anyone that missed it back during the launch; Alienware are doing the Indra Sniper Rifle promotion again. PC only I'm afraid.
Ugh. If only I had the need to play the game again.
Old April 19 2012, 12:00 PM   #1239
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Then why keep posting in ME threads if you have no interest? Mate, do us all a favour and try not to be a *complete* arse for a change.
Old April 19 2012, 04:40 PM   #1240
Jeyl
Commodore

^Then why keep posting in ME threads if you have no interest? Mate, do us all a favour and try not to be a *complete* arse for a change.
So just because I didn't have an overall satisfying experience with the game I shouldn't be talking about it or giving my feelings on the matter? I have made no insults towards anyone here nor criticized anyone for getting this rifle. If this kind of promotion happened with the previous games, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to snatch it up and play through the game with it.

Now, if I could snipe Harbinger's eyes out with it, maybe I'd give the game another go. But as it stands, no matter what I do,

Last edited by Jeyl; April 19 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: slight corrections
Old April 20 2012, 04:41 PM   #1241
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Ugh. If only I had the need to play the game again.
if you play with the coalesced editor you can get the indra and the chakram launcher by creating a 'give all guns' custom hotkey
Old May 3 2012, 07:35 PM   #1242
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Came across this and thought I'd share: A German Mass Effect community site is doing a survey on people's opinions of ME3 and for an added bonus, it appears that Jessica Merizan (Bioware's community manager) is taking notice. I wouldn't construe that as Bioware saying that they'll base their future choices off of the results (though I'm sure some people will) but someone at Bioware (maybe just Merizan) will be watching how this turns out.

Either way it's worth filling out as it covers all the main points of centention and I for one am curious to see the results!

Last edited by Reverend; May 4 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 4 2012, 05:38 AM   #1243
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

I just filled it out, good questions, lets hope this does some good.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 10:24 AM   #1244
Camren
Commodore

Came across this and thought I'd share: A German Mass Effect community site is doing a survey on people's opinions of ME3 and for an added bonus, it appears like Jessica Merizan (Bioware's community manager) it taking notice. I wouldn't construe that as Bioware saying that they'll base their future choices off of the results (though I'm sure some people will) but someone at Bioware (maybe just Merizan) will be watching how this turns out.

Either way it's worth filling out as it covers all the main points of centention and I for one am curious to see the results!
I REALLY don't blame Bioware for looking to other sources for rational fan reaction. The people on their official forums are utterly demented and have lost all sense of reality.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 12:34 PM   #1245
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Out of curiosity, shall we hold an informal survey here and compare our own answers? Since the questions are only for those that have already completed the game, I'll put my answers in spoiler tags.