Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 15 2012, 05:06 AM   #46
Knight Templar
Commodore

Re: City on the Edge of Forever - 45th Anniversary

scotpens wrote: View Post
Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I never liked Ellison but I can cut him some slack as Roddenberry in regards to City on the Edge of Forever told some flat out lies regarding Ellison's original script.
Did G.R. ever actually accuse Ellison of writing a script in which Scotty was the one dealing drugs?
According to the wikipedia entry on the episode, GR did make that claim but later admitted that it had been many years since he had read the script he was referring to.

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
That said, Ellison is far, far from the only writer who had major disputes with Gene Roddenberry regarding Star Trek material. David Gerrold to name just one.
GR had some interesting comments about relationships with writers in "The Making of Star Trek". One of the things GR found out was that in some cases the prominent sci-fi writers they commissioned were good at telling stories, but not so good at writing TV scripts.

Without naming names he mentioned that his insistence on rewriting scripts cost him some friendships but it had to be done maintain the consistency of his vision. The book is GR's version and it white washes a lot of things and sidesteps a lot of issues, but it does have the value of being written before everyone (including GR) got the urge to settle old scores and tell their own stories.
Wasn't "The Making of Star Trek" by David Gerrold? Ironic then that Gerrold himself was at odds with Roddenberry during the first season of ST:TNG reportedly.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 05:12 AM   #47
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Wasn't "The Making of Star Trek" by David Gerrold? Ironic then that Gerrold himself was at odds with Roddenberry during the first season of ST:TNG reportedly.
No, David Gerrold wrote The World of Star Trek. The Making of Star Trek was written by Stephen E. Whitfield, with extensive quoted material from Gene Roddenberry.
Old April 15 2012, 05:30 AM   #48
Knight Templar
Commodore

scotpens wrote: View Post
No, David Gerrold wrote The World of Star Trek. The Making of Star Trek was written by Stephen E. Whitfield, with extensive quoted material from Gene Roddenberry.
I keep confusing them.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 09:04 PM   #49
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

With respect to the issue of whether actual fans of Star Trek living in the 70's had an interest in which episodes had won Hugo Awards, I can say as one of those people that this issue was definitely on my radar. The episode guide printed in David Gerrold's The World of Star Trek indicated which episodes had been nominated for Hugos and which had won. In fact, it was this book, incidentally written by a budding professional science fiction author, that introduced the little eight-year-old me to what Hugos were. I didn't know what they were at first, but to Gerrold they really sounded like something important. I was even miffed that my favorite episode, The Doomsday Machine, had lost to City.

The World of Star Trek was one of only five non-fiction Star Trek reference books on my bookshelf during the 1970's, which also included The Making of Star Trek, The Trouble with Tribbles, Star Trek Lives! and the Star Trek Concordance. Until the Concordance came out, World was the only one of these with a complete episode guide, and it didn't suffer from the errors in Making's partial two season guide (e.g. "Man Trap" instead of "The Man Trap"). My World episode guide was the one I referred to the most, and it was flipped through so much, that today one of the pages is held together with scotch tape.
Old April 25 2012, 02:11 AM   #50
Elder Knight
Captain

Just a few years later, Star Trek could have done the occasional two-hour show to support more involved plots. But they weren't doing that circa '67.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote