Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What did you think of Cabin in the Woods?
Excellent 44 55.70%
Good 26 32.91%
So-so 7 8.86%
Poor 1 1.27%
Lousy 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 14 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Cabin in the Woods - Grading, Discussion, Spoilers

So what do you think of Cabin in the Woods?
Old April 14 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Cabin in the Woods - Grading, Discussion, Spoilers

As I mentioned in the previous "delays" thread, the movie exceeded all my expectations quite handily - which was great, since my expectations were pretty damn high. I couldn't help but chuckle every time an actor Joss Whedon had worked with on previous projects showed up (and when he had his own cameo!). I saw it with a couple friends, and all three of us left the theater already wanting to see the movie again. It was an absolute great experience from the first scene.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Right, we doing this then?

Well as I also said in the previous thread... loved it, but kinda don't wanna say much about it really so as to spoil any of it somewhat. Not saying its the best film ever made of all time, but yeah it was awesome and a lot of fun.

And I'll just add, Kristen Connolly... mmm
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
SG-17
Commodore

It was brilliant. The humor blended well with the classic horror film format.

Also, seeing a former Power Ranger's tits is always a wonderful surprise.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Feel the need to spoiler code a lot. Just some random observations

Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
stj
Rear Admiral

Very clever, often funny. Never frightening, never unsettling. Sometimes gross. but the picture I saw was so dim it was hard to make out faces and tell exactly what grossness was happening, which considerably lowered the ick factor.

Essentially a horror movie about making horror movies, commenting on the audience (negatively,) and asserting that the Fool is really the smart guy; the Virgin is just who we have to work with; the world really will come to an end if we don't cathartize our negative emotions; fuck the world, I'm not going to sacrifice my life or my personal friend's life. The take away messages are why the movie doesn't really do anything emotionally I think. Even a horror movie should inspire some real feelings. Woman in Black could do it, but not this one.

Rated good for clever. But this much cleverness should have made an excellent movie, and it isn't.
Old April 14 2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

Won't say much for fear of spoiling it, but once the you know what hits the fan, this film's premise is very clever and out of left field. The stoner dude was my favorite character in the film!
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 02:40 AM   #8
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I freaking loved this film.

I can't however, say why without giving anything away. Just go see this movie. This is one where you absolutely should not be spoiled.
Old April 15 2012, 06:06 AM   #9
D Man
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post

I can't however, say why without giving anything away. Just go see this movie. This is one where you absolutely should not be spoiled.
Completely agreed. Fantastic movie!
Old April 15 2012, 06:08 AM   #10
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

D Man wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post

Completely agreed. Fantastic movie!
I was discussing it with a friend at dinner and he was saying that he was surprised I thought it was so good because the trailers looked pretty lame. I was having a tough time explaining that the reason why it was so good was something I couldn't tell him.
Old April 15 2012, 06:40 AM   #11
davejames
Vice Admiral

Huh. Thought it was pretty fun... but somehow after all the hype and buildup I was expecting something a LOT more twisty and surprising and mind-bendy.

But this plays out pretty much like you'd expect from the beginning, with the main villain being the kind of thing we've already seen countless times on Buffy and Angel. In fact the similarities were a little TOO obvious. When I saw that final set, I almost expected to see a big kung fu battle play out on it. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I thought it was just okay. The Whedonesque wit and jokey dialogue didn't always mesh well with the story. I actually nodded off a couple times during the film, but the last act got very good. If it wasn't for the monsters gone wild scenes I would say this film was a disappointment.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 07:17 PM   #13
DarKush
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Very clever, often funny. Never frightening, never unsettling. Sometimes gross. but the picture I saw was so dim it was hard to make out faces and tell exactly what grossness was happening, which considerably lowered the ick factor.

Essentially a horror movie about making horror movies, commenting on the audience (negatively,) and asserting that the Fool is really the smart guy; the Virgin is just who we have to work with; the world really will come to an end if we don't cathartize our negative emotions; fuck the world, I'm not going to sacrifice my life or my personal friend's life. The take away messages are why the movie doesn't really do anything emotionally I think. Even a horror movie should inspire some real feelings. Woman in Black could do it, but not this one.

Rated good for clever. But this much cleverness should have made an excellent movie, and it isn't.
Interesting interpretation. I also thought the film was too dim a lot of the time and it made the action hard to follow. I also thought it was a bit too clever for its own good.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Dark Gilligan
Writer

stj wrote: View Post
Very clever.
Now see, I didn't find it clever at all. It was one Whedon trope after another, beginnig to end, as if he was winking at us everytime another one popped up. No spoilers, but anyone even remotely familiar with Whedon's body of work will know what I mean. After the closing credits my wife turned to me and said "I feel like we just watched a bad mash-up of Buffy and Dollhouse".
Old April 15 2012, 10:08 PM   #15
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^The only work of Whedon's I'm familiar with is one Alien movie; the Buffy movie; one episode of the Buffy series; maybe seven episodes of Firefly; the Serenity movie; about three episodes of Dollhouse, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Loved Dr. Horrible, (maybe that's because I'm a sucker for musicals with real plots) but I don't think the rest of it constitutes a notably good body of work.

Still, it is obvious that I haven't seen enough of the years of episodes of Buffy the series and years of episodes of Angel to be so familiar with Whedonesque tropes. And I'm sure that there are many people in the same position as me. But I can easily imagine that those who are familiar with all those hours of Whedon can find Cabin in the Woods rather familiar, not novel nor clever. For instance, the plot hinges on a character inexplicably but fortuitously returning from apparent death. This is a moss-covered plot device save for the twist that the character who returns is not the villain, but the hero. (If you can call someone whose actions doom humanity the hero, except that the movie plainly deems him the hero.) Look, a plot hole in an unusual shape! Clever, yes, but not as clever as writing a plot without holes.

Whedon and his co-writer weren't just winking at us, they were giving us the finger too. Why not? Why do we want to see the slut get killed?