Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Harbinger.
Outstanding 26 60.47%
Above Average 15 34.88%
Average 2 4.65%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2012, 07:19 PM   #31
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ It's hard to tell how I would have reacted to Vanguard's tone if I hadn't been informed of its later evolution ahead of time by you and Mr. Mack in the other thread. T'Prynn aside, it really didn't turn out to be a big issue for me in the end. With the others I found myself simply looking forward to their journey of self-discovery to come as they faced their hardships. So thanks again.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 07:21 PM   #32
neptu8
Cadet

Hah completely disagree, the thing I liked the most about it was T'Prynn!
I would love him to write a less subtle 'Dwellers in the Crucible' style novel focusing on her. Who needs other characters when you have a gay Vulcan.
neptu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 06:48 PM   #33
Sho
Fleet Captain

For some reason "gay Vulcan" reminds me of that episode that had Tuvok laughing all the time ...
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

I like that Harbinger is dark. It was very different from your average Trek book. The character development in this series is awesome as a result.
Old April 13 2012, 10:06 AM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral

I just finished earlier this evening, and I wish I'd read this book years ago, because I loved it! I think part of the reason I was so hesitant to try Vanguard was because the TOS era generally doesn't interest me all that much, but I could only ignore the glowing reviews for so long.

I enjoyed pretty much the entire cast of characters, particularly Tim Pennington and Cervantes Quinn. While I can't say I completely sympathized with Pennington every step of the way (which I figure was intentional), I found his storyline interesting and I enjoyed following his investigation of the Bombay's destruction. I also appreciated having a civilian as a major POV character, it was a nice change of pace from the norm. That's also part of the reason why I enjoyed Cervantes Quinn, but I'll admit that another big part of that was just because I love smartaleck characters of any type.

I did like Diego Reyes, but he didn't quite 'grab' me like I was expecting him to do, considering he's technically the "leading man." But Vanguard seems to be more of an ensemble than most Trek, so I wasn't too worried about it. His relationship with Rana Desai was interesting, and I like having a JAG officer as part of the main cast. I also enjoyed Zeke Fisher's kind of laid-back, easygoing personality, and I got a kick out of watching his plans for retirement completely fall apart. As for T'Prynn, I wouldn't exactly say I like her, but I do find her intriguing.

As I was reading Harbinger, I actually kind of felt like I was watching a two-hour pilot for a TV series. That's just how it felt for me. I don't know if that was intentional on David Mack's part, given his TV background, but either way I think it actually enhanced my enjoyment of the novel.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 05:08 PM   #36
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I'd say you received the story exactly as it was intended, and your reactions to all the characters (including Diego Reyes, who is meant to be complicated and difficult to get a read on) are spot-on. Glad you enjoyed Harbinger, and I hope you get to read the rest of the series.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 07:38 PM   #37
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Keep reading Skywalker. They get better with every book.
Old April 13 2012, 09:27 PM   #38
Skywalker
Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ I'd say you received the story exactly as it was intended, and your reactions to all the characters (including Diego Reyes, who is meant to be complicated and difficult to get a read on) are spot-on. Glad you enjoyed Harbinger, and I hope you get to read the rest of the series.
I certainly plan to! Thanks for writing such a fun book and for creating such an interesting group of characters. I tore through Harbinger faster than anything else I've read anything in a long time.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 10:34 PM   #39
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^I envy you skywalker, you get to read the next six books for the first time in a row. I know you will enjoy them as much as we all have Have fun and keep posting your observations.
Old April 14 2012, 05:48 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I just finished earlier this evening, and I wish I'd read this book years ago, because I loved it! I think part of the reason I was so hesitant to try Vanguard was because the TOS era generally doesn't interest me all that much, but I could only ignore the glowing reviews for so long.

I enjoyed pretty much the entire cast of characters, particularly Tim Pennington and Cervantes Quinn. While I can't say I completely sympathized with Pennington every step of the way (which I figure was intentional), I found his storyline interesting and I enjoyed following his investigation of the Bombay's destruction. I also appreciated having a civilian as a major POV character, it was a nice change of pace from the norm. That's also part of the reason why I enjoyed Cervantes Quinn, but I'll admit that another big part of that was just because I love smartaleck characters of any type.

I did like Diego Reyes, but he didn't quite 'grab' me like I was expecting him to do, considering he's technically the "leading man." But Vanguard seems to be more of an ensemble than most Trek, so I wasn't too worried about it. His relationship with Rana Desai was interesting, and I like having a JAG officer as part of the main cast. I also enjoyed Zeke Fisher's kind of laid-back, easygoing personality, and I got a kick out of watching his plans for retirement completely fall apart. As for T'Prynn, I wouldn't exactly say I like her, but I do find her intriguing.

As I was reading Harbinger, I actually kind of felt like I was watching a two-hour pilot for a TV series. That's just how it felt for me. I don't know if that was intentional on David Mack's part, given his TV background, but either way I think it actually enhanced my enjoyment of the novel.
Honestly, I had a lot of the same feelings about the characters during Harbinger, but by the end of Summon the Thunder, I had fallen for everybody, including Reyes and T'Prynn. At this point, I love them just as much as the TNG and DS9 casts.