Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 12 2012, 02:36 PM   #121
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I could be mistaken, but the Obi-Wan body might be from an upcoming three-figure Battle Pack called "Duel on Naboo" that features three all-new sculpts but which have 1990s style articulation to make them easier to tool and more kid-friendly. No elbow, wrist, knee or ankle joints, and everything is a cut or swivel design. No modern ball joints whatsoever. If it's not a reuse of the Battle Pack mold then it's a shameless reuse of a 1999 or 2000 body with just eight points of articulation. Either way, it's not impressive. That head is clearly from 1999 and there have been a hundred Ewan McGregor heads since then that look better.

And I agree on the droids being inaccurate, but Hasbro reps at the recent New York Toy Fair admitted that folded-up droids hanging on a rack didn't offer any real play value so they decided to have 16 of the 20 droids in the set standing with a poseable right arm with blaster so they could be used in battle scenarios. The other four droids have normal articulation and can be posed like just about any other Battle Droid figure of the past 13 years, though I'm fairly sure they'll be of the quality seen in the Saga Legends or Movie Heroes lines. Cheaper plastic and marginally less accurate sculpting and paint apps. Having four Vintage Collection Battle Droids in the MTT would probably jack the price up another ten or fifteen bucks.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 05:05 PM   #122
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Here are a few of my Babylon 5

B5 Micro Machines

G'Kar figure, possibly my favorite.

B5 Action Figures
Kosh & Alternative Version

I believe this is the Alternative Version of Londo

Same with G'Kar, think this is the Alternative Version.

I'm missing some stuff, think I can't find a box. I'm missing the G'Kar, Londo and Shadows figures, plus I'm missing all the other B5 Micro Machines.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 05:14 PM   #123
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post

And I agree on the droids being inaccurate, but Hasbro reps at the recent New York Toy Fair admitted that folded-up droids hanging on a rack didn't offer any real play value so they decided to have 16 of the 20 droids in the set standing with a poseable right arm with blaster so they could be used in battle scenarios. The other four droids have normal articulation and can be posed like just about any other Battle Droid figure of the past 13 years, though I'm fairly sure they'll be of the quality seen in the Saga Legends or Movie Heroes lines. Cheaper plastic and marginally less accurate sculpting and paint apps. Having four Vintage Collection Battle Droids in the MTT would probably jack the price up another ten or fifteen bucks.

Here's the the thing that they, (and all other toy makers, really) seem to be missing. When you make such a large and expensive product, you are no longer targeting kids. You are now targeting the collectors, who demand a certain amount of accuracy.
Old April 12 2012, 05:21 PM   #124
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i remember being frustrated cause i could never find those B5 micro machines as a kid. i had and later sold off all those B5 action figures. that first G'kar is impressive. i only had a few from the larger 'doll' line.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 05:24 PM   #125
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Man, do I wish some company would pick up the Babylon 5 license and make some good modern figures with it. Diamond Select, maybe? NECA? Nah, probably too far out of NECA's usual area. Diamond Select did some pretty decent Star Trek stuff though. Might not be too much of a stretch for them. Then after they grab Babylon 5, they should grab Farscape as well.
Old April 12 2012, 08:01 PM   #126
Disruptor
Commodore

Whatever

Last edited by Disruptor; April 12 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 08:24 PM   #127
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Man, do I wish some company would pick up the Babylon 5 license and make some good modern figures with it. Diamond Select, maybe? NECA? Nah, probably too far out of NECA's usual area. Diamond Select did some pretty decent Star Trek stuff though. Might not be too much of a stretch for them. Then after they grab Babylon 5, they should grab Farscape as well.
i'd buy any kind of NECA or Art Asylum B5 figures in a heartbeat.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:21 PM   #128
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

The first complete, carded shots of the upcoming Dr. Evazan and the much-anticipated Wedge Antilles repack:

Old April 12 2012, 10:38 PM   #129
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i remember being frustrated cause i could never find those B5 micro machines as a kid. i had and later sold off all those B5 action figures.
Yeah, I had to get rid of all my B5 figures when I had to move house and couldn't take a whole lot of stuff with me to the new place. I did keep my B5 micromachines though...
Old April 12 2012, 11:18 PM   #130
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
The upcoming (and San Diego Comic Con-exclusive) Jar Jar Binks in Carbonite figure.

This might very well be the stupidest waste of plastic I've seen in the 3-3/4" STAR WARS line in years...and that includes all the lame, repetitive repaints and repacks that clog store pegs.

I wouldn't pay for it either, but it is funny.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 11:22 PM   #131
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
And hardcore collectors have been drooling over this figure for months already.
Old April 12 2012, 11:26 PM   #132
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Old April 13 2012, 01:03 AM   #133
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Ah, simpler (and cheaper) times.
Old April 13 2012, 01:22 AM   #134
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Today you couldn't even get the time of day from Hasbro for $2.95. As late as the Episode II/CLONES merchandising blitz of 2002 basic action figures still cost just $4.99 or thereabouts at almost all retail outlets in this country and went up just a dollar or so for Episode III/SITH a few years later. I remember getting most of my Episode III action figures for just $5.99 plus tax. Then the price increases started to kick in in the latter half of the last decade and now the cheapest non-sale or markdown action figure you can score at retail is $8.96 before sales tax...there are even some Targets in other states and locales where the price of a Vintage Collection figure has risen to a nausea-inducing $11.99 before tax.

I'm guessing that all action figures from all the lines we collect will cost more than ten dollars each before too long. The trend is definitely towards double-digit retail pricepoints and I won't be surprised in the least if Hasbro has an MSRP of around $10.99 for Basic figures starting in 2013 to coincide with the 3-D release of ATTACK OF THE CLONES. The era of five-dollar action figures is long over, my friends. An awful lot of kids and collectors are going to be priced right out of the market.

Old April 13 2012, 02:23 AM   #135
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Part of the problem is that the figures are made from petroleum-based plastics. So their cost is reflecting the rise in oil prices--to a certain degree.

The bulk of it, though, has less to do with that and more to do with keeping a nice profit margin to offset a dwindling customer base (it's been going on in the comic book industry for decades now, where a once cheap commodity has become essentially a luxury item).