TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 12 2012, 05:59 AM   #16
sojourner
Admiral

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

How do you know the motivation would be pettiness? As they say, we can't even comprehend things beyond the singularity.
Old April 12 2012, 06:28 AM   #17
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
1. Biotech... [...]
2. AI... [...]
3. Clean power technologies [...]
4. Portable and integrated computer technology/gadgets everywhere [...]
5. Nanotechnology [...]
Only Earth-centred technologies then, and with absolutely nothing revolutionary?
Old April 12 2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
1. Biotech... [...]
2. AI... [...]
5. Nanotechnology [...]
Only Earth-centred technologies then, and with absolutely nothing revolutionary?
Sadly that seems to be the direction humanity is heading. Nobody cares about space, or expanding our horizons anymore. Society is turning inward, and all most people care about is more cable channels, and shinier,faster handheld gadgets and tech toys.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 07:32 AM   #19
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
How do you know the motivation would be pettiness? As they say, we can't even comprehend things beyond the singularity.
True, it's only one possible option. I was being facetious about the Skynet thing. There might be many different conflicting factions among uplifted humans. Vernor Vinge also postulated that the Singularity might be unrealisable in practice.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 05:15 PM   #20
sojourner
Admiral

I tend to agree. the "singularity" in my opinion is happening all the time. For people from the 1700's it happened almost a hundred years ago.
Old April 12 2012, 05:19 PM   #21
TeknoNurd
Lieutenant Commander

1) iBrain
2) iBrain 2
3) iBrain 3
4) Windows 9
5) iExtinction
TeknoNurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

TeknoNurd wrote: View Post
1) iBrain
2) iBrain 2
3) iBrain 3
4) Windows 9
5) iExtinction
Oh! Someone even more cynical than me. Well done sir!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 04:22 AM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

1. Biotech... [...]
2. AI... [...]
5. Nanotechnology [...]
Space technologies could come later, let's assume we do reach a singularity, then a natural progression would be to spread smart matter through the galaxy. Nanotech spacecraft, starseed robots would be child's play by then. In the near term, space based lasers transmitting power would transform the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predict...2_the_Universe

Nanotech is pretty revolutionary. Despite it's current growth, it won't be a change overnight, it'll only be in that 15-20 year range when we start seeing what it can really do.

If you look at my top 5, they all connect in some way, which I note at the end of the entry, making them more than individual advancements but a sum of the parts...human biotech improving humans-->AI providing the "brain", or expansion/extension of knowledge and info storage-->nanotech providing the "body"...this could mean foglet bodies or some extension of machine tech--->clean, nearly limitless power generation to run it all.

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; April 13 2012 at 04:32 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 04:55 AM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I was pretty doubtful about the future of humanity as we know it in the advance of machine AI after the mid-90s (Minsky), but it's been mitigated by the fact that there is a chance that human AI would replace the machine centered AI...while it's true I can't predict the outcome, I'd speculate that the pre-singluarty exponential growth of transhuman type tech might somehow transform human thinking into something more long-view and complex. This could carry over into the post-singularity AI infoscape. Might there be an "Artilect" war? Sure. Let's hope not.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/18/cos...-de-garis.html

I tend to agree. the "singularity" in my opinion is happening all the time. For people from the 1700's it happened almost a hundred years ago.
There's a distinction to be made, exponential growth has indeed been happening even longer than Moore's and other related laws, but the Singularity is a whole other animal.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
1. Biotech... [...]
2. AI... [...]
5. Nanotechnology [...]
Sadly that seems to be the direction humanity is heading. Nobody cares about space, or expanding our horizons anymore. Society is turning inward, and all most people care about is more cable channels, and shinier,faster handheld gadgets and tech toys.
Or...the long-view (long-view for humans at least, in terms of our historical time, if we become a spacefaring race, even 50-100 years from now--a mere 100-150 years after man ventured into space--is a tiny a fraction of the human technological age, and a tinier fraction still of modern man) I pointed out would lead to a literal saturation of the galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predict...2_the_Universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOC0DBvhuaY

RAMA
Old April 13 2012, 06:28 AM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

There's a distinction to be made, exponential growth has indeed been happening even longer than Moore's and other related laws, but the Singularity is a whole other animal.
Like I said, to someone from the 1700's, it's already occurred. The future will always look like a singularity if you project far enough. It's just a matter of perception from where you are on the curve.
Old April 13 2012, 02:02 PM   #26
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Self-driving cars can GTFO, some people actually enjoy driving, though I guess real cars with proper engines that aren't restricted by pointless feel-good eco regulations, aerodynamics that aren't shaped by pedestrian safety committees, proper mechanical or hydraulic controls that don't nanny the driver with every input, proper manual gearboxes, and without stupid gadgets that add absolutely nothing to the driving experience other than expensive bills when they go wrong and have to be repaired at approved garages with the right proprietary ECU interfaces, will probably be banned/taxed out of existence/forcibly phased out long before self-driving cars are on the market anyway, so it's not like there will be any enjoyment left to lose.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2012, 02:36 PM   #27
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Or they could become strictly for hobbyists like most old cars are today. With the mathematical elegance of self-driving cars reducing stop-and-go and even the space needed between cars, traffic would be much less of an issue for manual drivers. I wouldn't be surprised to see "automated" lanes replacing the carpool lanes in a couple decades.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 03:05 AM   #28
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Perhaps only a fraction of humanity would upgrade. It might be they who are the instigators of the purge of the remainder.
There's no "perhaps" about it. We're a species right now with a massive disparity between wealthy and poor; a few thousand well-placed political and industrial elites already make decisions that affect (and often devastate) the lives of the other 6 billion people here. One way or another, a small group of individuals would use the "upgrade" to either protect their privileged position, or to gain that position in the first place. Either way, everyone else is screwed.
Old April 16 2012, 03:08 AM   #29
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Self-driving cars can GTFO, some people actually enjoy driving, though I guess real cars with proper engines that aren't restricted by pointless feel-good eco regulations, aerodynamics that aren't shaped by pedestrian safety committees, proper mechanical or hydraulic controls that don't nanny the driver with every input, proper manual gearboxes, and without stupid gadgets that add absolutely nothing to the driving experience other than expensive bills when they go wrong and have to be repaired at approved garages with the right proprietary ECU interfaces, will probably be banned/taxed out of existence/forcibly phased out long before self-driving cars are on the market anyway, so it's not like there will be any enjoyment left to lose.
OR you could just install a "manual control" switch in a self-driving car.
Old April 16 2012, 07:28 AM   #30
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Hopefully, people will realise that using the “manual control” switch is as bad as DUI, and its use will be banned except under extreme circumstances.