Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 11 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Am I missing something?

I watched the entire run of the show, however I never watched the mini-series. Was wondering if I'm really missing something not having watching them? Do you think going back now, I would gain from watching the mini-series?

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old April 11 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Am I missing something?

The mini-series is an integral part of the series as a whole - yes, you should watch it. (Must have been weird watching the rest of the series without watching the beginning...)

That is, I mean the first mini-series that set the whole thing up. If you mean The Plan, that's definitely skippable. The Cylon plan makes no sense and tap dancing around that issue doesn't suddenly make it make sense.
Old April 11 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Yeah, you should definitely watch the mini series. I would say it's very important to watch before starting the series because it really gives a nice impact of the crisis that starts everything, not to mention sets up several characters in important ways. The early show is particularly better if you've seen the mini series.

Gaius's character especially depends on knowing what happened in the beginning as well, at least I can't imagine watching him in the show without having seen the mini series first.
Old April 11 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

"33" does a good job recapping the major events of the miniseries, but it can't hurt to see it. Plus, it's pretty good.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 12 2012, 04:35 AM   #5
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

The miniseries did a pretty good job of setting up the series. It's definitely worth a look.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old April 12 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Razor's not bad, but not integral to watch, either.

I think Razor does a good job on depicting the initial attack on the Colonies. If someone could do an ultimate edit between those scenes and the Pilot Mini, that would be awesome. I was let down by the Pilot Mini's depiction of the attack.
Old April 14 2012, 05:52 PM   #7
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

I've said it before, but:

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I think Razor does a good job on depicting the initial attack on the Colonies. If someone could do an ultimate edit between those scenes and the Pilot Mini, that would be awesome. I was let down by the Pilot Mini's depiction of the attack.
this, oh so much

This would be the biggest thing to get me to rebuy the series: re-editing the episodes that suffered from the loss of deleted scenes, or would work better as a "telemovie" like the mutiny arc with the Faces of the Enemy footage attached.

And to the OP: yes, watch the mini-series.
Old April 14 2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I will pick up the mini-series sometime this weekend.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old April 14 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Essential or not, I couldn't imagine you wouldn't want to see it after having seen the rest of the series.
Old April 15 2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

milo bloom wrote: View Post

this, oh so much

This would be the biggest thing to get me to rebuy the series: re-editing the episodes that suffered from the loss of deleted scenes, or would work better as a "telemovie" like the mutiny arc with the Faces of the Enemy footage attached.

I've bought the whole thing on DVD and recently re-bought on blu-ray and I'd STILL buy it again if they did this.

And PS to the OP: HOW COULD YOU NOT WATCH THE MINI FIRST? *HISS!* BAD OP! BAD!

Old April 16 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

The show looks stunning in HD, my only critisim of it is very minor in Region B BR release. They use the wrong opening credits in S1. As the version which was used during the world premiere on Sky One is the one used throught the series in the UK. In the US they used an alternte for S1 beofre switich to the UK version for the rest of the show.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old April 17 2012, 07:52 PM   #12
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post
milo bloom wrote: View Post

this, oh so much

I've bought the whole thing on DVD and recently re-bought on blu-ray and I'd STILL buy it again if they did this.

And PS to the OP: HOW COULD YOU NOT WATCH THE MINI FIRST? *HISS!* BAD OP! BAD!

To be fair, I watch the 13 ep season 1 before I saw the mini.

I had ignored all the buzz and hype before the premiere, simply wasn't interested in the show. One day after the first season had aired and was being repeated, I happened to catch an episode with Helo on the run on Caprica and was hooked. I set our DVR to grab all 13 eps (SciFi was actually repeating them back then), and I plowed through all 13 and was hooked. I wasn't able to see the mini until I got the DVD set. I actually got right before a business trip, and took it with me, watching it on a laptop in my hotel room.

You can watch the first season with only a basic recap of the mini, but you should absolutely watch it anyways.
Old April 19 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
The Janitor
Ensign

I think if you are familiar with the premise as per TOS BSG (and that pilot 'Saga of a Star World') then it isn't a big miss, they reworked most of the pilot in the miniseries apart from the disco hair. And Muffit.

You should definitley watch it. I only got hooked on nuBSG once I saw '33' even though I watched the miniseries previously. I wasnt too enamoured with it on first viewing, but after watching season 1, I went back and rewatched it. I think it's brilliant now. Apart from Boxey.
Old April 23 2012, 08:36 PM   #14
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I have to agree, watch it. As critical as I've been toward New Galactica, I actually did enjoy the miniseries.
Old April 25 2012, 07:13 PM   #15
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I especially loved the navy-style lingo used in the pilot that seemed to wain in the regular series run. "the checker's green", "call the ball", "hands-on", "krypter, krypter", etc. It added to the authenticity of the atmosphere that this was a working aircraft carrier-type environment, that has its own language, usages and customs that you would not normally see in civilian life. There was a smattering of it later on, but it didn't seem as prevalent - possibly the producers and writers felt it would be too distracting to the plot. Who knows?

The mini was definitely an A+ production, though.