RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,577
Posts: 5,403,063
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 443
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 11 2012, 10:33 PM   #46
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Panda<3 wrote: View Post
If you don't agree suport yourself with more than "Because"
No. Your thesis. Support it.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 03:42 AM   #47
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain
 
The Grim Ghost's Avatar
 
Location: Thee Olde Spook Shack
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Sure he was. And why shouldn't he be? Having consensual sex with lots of women is fine. It's the future, they don't need to be bound by the morals of today.

Pregnancy isn't an issue (except when he had amnesia and was understandably not able to take whatever meds he needed to prevent it). STDs don't seem to be an issue. So why not?

Kirk liked women and women liked Kirk. Then they had sex. That's what grown ups do.
__________________
Life looks better in black and white.
The Grim Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 07:50 AM   #48
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

The Grim Ghost wrote: View Post
Sure he was. And why shouldn't he be? Having consensual sex with lots of women is fine. It's the future, they don't need to be bound by the morals of today.

Pregnancy isn't an issue (except when he had amnesia and was understandably not able to take whatever meds he needed to prevent it). STDs don't seem to be an issue. So why not?

Kirk liked women and women liked Kirk. Then they had sex. That's what grown ups do.
"Womanizer" has a negative connotation to it, that Kirk only used women to get what he wanted, then he tossed them aside, which I don't think he behaved that way. He was promiscuous, yes, but not a womanizer.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 08:44 AM   #49
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

He most certainly did use them to get what he wanted when a mission was involved. Do you really think he "loved" Drusilla in Bread and Circuses?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 08:59 AM   #50
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

teacake wrote: View Post
He most certainly did use them to get what he wanted when a mission was involved. Do you really think he "loved" Drusilla in Bread and Circuses?
No, he definitely had sex with her, and likely because he wanted to. I don't think he loved her, but I also don't think he was just using her as a means to an end. As for when a mission is involved, I don't think that counts, as his goal is to resolve a mission that means life or death for his crew or the Federation in general. It's why I think "womanizer" is too harsh a term for Kirk, because I don't think he saw them merely as objects to satisfy his sexual desire. He loved women, as Jonas said. Definitely promiscuous, though, and I have no problem with that.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:09 AM   #51
AcousticKoi
Lieutenant
 
Location: West Virginia
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!


mirror mirror sulu yes, but Kirk no.
__________________
"By golly, Jim... I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day!"-Dr. Leonard McCoy
AcousticKoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:10 AM   #52
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Of course he was using her as a means to an end in that setting (being held captive and sent a slave woman to spend the night with). I assume when you say he wasn't "just" using her you mean he enjoyed it as well, thought she was beautiful, had compassion for her etc.. This really doesn't negate the using part. It's kind of repulsive because she's a sex slave, not just a beautiful girl who he sleeps with mutually to further a mission. She's in his room because she was ordered to be there and she cannot say no.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:30 AM   #53
DAYoung
Commander
 
DAYoung's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, AUS
View DAYoung's Twitter Profile
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Has anyone yet distinguished between "womaniser" and "ladies' man"?

To me, the first implies a certain disrespect of women, i.e. treating them solely as means to the end of one's sexual pleasure. The second doesn't. It suggests someone who definitely enjoys the company of women, and may be promiscuous, but does this without the the mercenary outlook of the womaniser.

I reckon Kirk, for the most part, is a ladies' man.
__________________
philosopher & author
www.damonyoung.com.au
Out December 2012: Philosophy in the Garden
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:33 AM   #54
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Womanizer is what someone hurt by that behavior says, Ladies Man is what the envious call it.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:47 AM   #55
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Oh, dear, what of l'amour?

__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 09:53 AM   #56
DAYoung
Commander
 
DAYoung's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, AUS
View DAYoung's Twitter Profile
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

teacake wrote: View Post
Womanizer is what someone hurt by that behavior says, Ladies Man is what the envious call it.
I was thinking of how I use the words. I'm certainly not hurt by it. Envious? Possibly. Usually more amused than jealous. (The examples I've known were often very lonely.)
__________________
philosopher & author
www.damonyoung.com.au
Out December 2012: Philosophy in the Garden
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 10:00 AM   #57
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Thing is a person can be a Ladies Man and not think they are using a woman but then you have the women that fall in love with the Ladies Man and are hit with the cold reality that the Ladies Man wanted to have sex with them, not have a relationship with them. Now maybe they were a bit stupid (or a bit young) but if they called that man a Womanizer that's quite accurate to their experience.

People don't write out a contract clearly stating that this night of passion is only about sex and fun and not about a relationship. James T. Kirk certainly does not do this. He's extremely charismatic and the captain of a starship, I'm sure many women were hoping they would mean a lot more to him than a night of passion.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 10:08 AM   #58
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

teacake wrote: View Post
Of course he was using her as a means to an end in that setting (being held captive and sent a slave woman to spend the night with). I assume when you say he wasn't "just" using her you mean he enjoyed it as well, thought she was beautiful, had compassion for her etc.. This really doesn't negate the using part. It's kind of repulsive because she's a sex slave, not just a beautiful girl who he sleeps with mutually to further a mission. She's in his room because she was ordered to be there and she cannot say no.
If she would have said no, Kirk wouldn't have forced her, or convinced her to do so at the risk of her own life. Kirk loves women, and he doesn't abuse them. He doesn't use them and cast them aside. In this case, he thought he was going to die, and a lovely woman asked him to be with her.

Was she a sex slave? Likely. We know she was a slave. Is Kirk the kind of person who would feel right forcing a girl to have sex with him, just to satisfy his wants? I don't think so.

Plus, I just watched that episode the other night, so the details are still fresh. Kirk refused outright at first. Then she cajoled and convinced him, because she likely felt the same way. A good looking, noble man who was likely to die the next day, and so she wanted to bring him comfort. Kirk acquiesced because he did find her attractive, and he did believe he was likely to die the next day.

Also, to be completely fair, we never saw it, or even the hints of it happen. We saw them kiss, then we saw Kirk fully clothed, laying on a single couch. At least with Elaan of Troyius, Kirk and the Doleman were seen together, with Kirk putting his boots back on.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 10:15 AM   #59
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
[

Plus, I just watched that episode the other night, so the details are still fresh. Kirk refused outright at first. Then she cajoled and convinced him, because she likely felt the same way. A good looking, noble man who was likely to die the next day, and so she wanted to bring him comfort. Kirk acquiesced because he did find her attractive, and he did believe he was likely to die the next day.
What is this a Frazetta painting?

She was a SLAVE. In order to please her master she needed to please the man she was sent to sleep with. Her master could have her killed any time he wanted to.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 10:35 AM   #60
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

teacake wrote: View Post
What is this a Frazetta painting?

She was a SLAVE. In order to please her master she needed to please the man she was sent to sleep with. Her master could have her killed any time he wanted to.
Kirk could have threatened her with death if she didn't try to please him. He didn't. A womanizer would have used that to his advantage.

The fact is, though, that she was a slave. Kirk was going to die the next day. Kirk refused at first, on the grounds that he believed it was all a setup. Drusilla convinced him otherwise. Even though there is room to say that they had sex, there's just too much open to interpretation to say what all was involved, and how mutual it was. I even went back and watched that scene in the episode before I responded, just to make sure my retelling of the events was accurate.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
kirk

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.