Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 6 2012, 03:08 AM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Windows 8

Seeing the reviews on Windows 8, fuck it. Next year's desktop is going to be a Linux box running but open source software.
Old April 8 2012, 10:26 PM   #17
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ I'm just curious if MS forces everyone to upgrade to W8 by deprecating the support path for W7, or will they foresee it to be so bad that it would follow the Vista scenario, continuing support of XP until they could get W7 out the door? How vested in this new OS model will they be before Windows 9 is announced, planning to go back to the more traditional model?
I'm sure that is probably they're basic gameplan -- MS tried to do that pretty expeditiously with XP when Vista came out, only to have the whole thing back-fire in their faces.

Given that MS is pretty predictable in most things, I would bet that's the gameplan here as well. Innovation is hardly their core competency.

I hope, if anything, that TPTB realize some of the silly assumptions that were made for Win8 regarding the whole "every desktop should be a touchscreen system"... and just spin-off/turn Win8 into a "Windows Metro for Tablets" version. Then roll out Win9 without the goofy pre-school Metro touchscreen / resource hog layer.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 01:24 AM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Good job I'm not a cynic as this Could almost be a marketing plan.

Release an OS which lots of people will buy that is sub-standard or at the very least isn't fit for what users need.

Then 12-18 months later release a new OS which. Causing people to fork out even more money to upgrade.

Like I said, good job I'm not a cynic.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Deks
Rear Admiral

I don't like the Metro UI.
I find it completely useless to be honest and mostly catered for online activities (such as browsing, cloud, social media, etc.).
I also don't see the point of the Cloud.
Keeping all of my data online? I'm sorry, but NO. Keeping certain things online for convenience sake is ok, but everything?
I'm sorry, but I'm not too keen on giving outsiders a peek into the contents of my personal HDD. It's not as if there's anything special on it, but seriously, I just don't see the need in sharing everything about my life with everyone (I find the concept of social networks to be utterly idiotic/boring - it's one thing to debate on a specific topic in a forum with others, but it's an entirely different story [idiotic in my opinion] to effectively share every minutia of my life with others).

If Windows 8 as an OS brings decent improvements over Windows 7, then I will probably upgrade (and retain the standard UI design as it is in Windows 7).
But seriously, as a UI, METRO is just awful.
The design works for smartphones among other things, but honestly, it's not for a proper working/administrator/offline type work where you work with file transfers, organizing the computer to your own preferences (instead of it telling you where it wants you to put things, etc.).

I don't have an issue with learning a new UI, but only if it's viable/versatile like the current one in Win 7... METRO UI as such is not really that in my opinion.
Old April 9 2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

I think Microsuck and Crapple need to realise that not all of their customers are metrosexual hipster retards that just want to poke at some shiny colours on stupid little touchscreens, with eyes glazed over and mouths overflowing with drool – some people actually use their computers for serious work! Even Windows 7 has a pretty piss-poor UI for serious productivity, without extensive modification and use of third-party tools to replicate functionality that comes as standard with every NetWM compliant window manager.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Deks
Rear Admiral

Lol... now, now, there's not need to be vicious.

Putting that aside, I have to say that I never saw the appeal in Apple based products.
It's OS UI's so called 'simplicity' is what makes things a lot more complicated for me and it's not really friendly in terms of personal customization of the file system, etc.

To top it all off, Windows based computers are practically half the price tag of iOS ones with better hardware to boot.

Why is Microsoft seeing the need to push smartphone/tablet based UI on desktops and laptops?

Oh wait... I wouldn't discount the prospect of Microsoft selling Windows 8 editions with different UI presets.
For example, if you are mostly doing media, browsing and possibly 'cloud' (ICK), then it's possible they will push METRO UI for those users, whereas if you are using the computer for other things such as video editing, photoshop, 3d studio Max, gaming, file organizing etc, they will have an edition that features a standard UI.

You know... I 'might' even accept Metro UI if it's:
1. Much more usable (functionality wise where you can get some proper work done on ALL fronts), and
2. Looks a lot better (one full color with gigantic boxes? - give me a break, do a combination of all out glass effects on white backgrounds so files and folders would't need a white background in order for the text to display properly - essentially, kick Aero into overdrive while retaining the usability/functionality of the older UI's).

I also think there was a video where a son gave his elderly father (who I think knows how to work on standard Windows UI) a Windows 8 preview version and he couldn't make heads or tails of the Metro UI.

'Simplicity'?
I'm gagging already because it reminds me of how 'simple' iOS UI is (NOT) - let alone usable...
Old April 10 2012, 06:53 PM   #22
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I just think Microsoft is crazy to think people will rush out to buy touchscreens (if you could find any) in order to take full advantage of the interface.

Metro should be an optional interface that could be enabled if a touchscreen is detected upon install.
Old April 11 2012, 05:39 PM   #23
Santaman
Rear Admiral

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Classic shell does a good job of bringing Win7 back to the classic Win2K UI, I'm using it on a few machines and I'm happy with it, if they can make a version for Win8 then everything will be fine..
Old April 11 2012, 05:43 PM   #24
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ True. That app rocks!