RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 741
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 9 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
22 Stars
Commodore

Inner Light Sequel Comic "The Outer Light"

Just wanted to share this from TrekMovie:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/09/chap...e-inner-light/

I welcome this comic, especially written by screenwriter. The artwork is interesting, if not accurate. I'm sure there are a slew of intellectual property questions, but I hope we get to read the whole thing!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Inner Light Sequel Comic "The Outer Light"

A follow-up to Inner Light is a must read as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's relevant and/or true to the original story.

I don't worry about the artwork in comics, so many different styles. The story is more important.

Thanks for posting this.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

The artwork is pretty alternative, not very mainstream, which to me kind of reflects the fact that the Inner Light isn't your typical Trek fare. Additionally, the broad strokes and heavy paints look fairly tribal and historical, as if you'd find similar work in the art of a cultural museum, which I think is pretty fitting considering the archival nature of the probe.

Yeah, I may be gasping at straws, but that's what I think. I'd like to give this comic a shot.
Old April 11 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Artistic styles are one thing, but the shape of the saucer of the Ent-D was confusing at first (I thought it was the Ent-E), and why are Conn and Ops standing stations, with nobody but Geordi at them?

I know, I know, minor details shouldn't detract from a good story, but sometimes the story can't be enjoyed if minor details are so badly wrong.
Old April 11 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
nightwind1
Commodore

milo bloom wrote: View Post
Artistic styles are one thing, but the shape of the saucer of the Ent-D was confusing at first (I thought it was the Ent-E), and why are Conn and Ops standing stations, with nobody but Geordi at them?
With enough differences, they can claim it's NOT Star Trek, and therefore not get into trouble with copyright laws and such.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
With enough differences, they can claim it's NOT Star Trek, and therefore not get into trouble with copyright laws and such.
Uhh, no, because the text explicitly references "Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise." And despite variations of artistic style, there's no question that the images are meant to represent the characters and sets from ST:TNG. It's just an impressionistic way of rendering them, as we've seen in other Trek comics in the past, like that official movie-prequel mini-comic from Wired magazine a few years ago.

As long as the comic is being published for free, without any attempt to profit, it's the sort of thing that Paramount/CBS generally allows to exist, like Phase II and other fan films.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 07:40 PM   #7
bbailey861
Admiral

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Looks good enough to try out.

My only nitpick would be the "Enterprise-D" on the cover.

Last edited by Satyrquaze; April 11 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Thanks for the heads up, 22 Stars. I had missed this one on TrekMovie.com.
Old April 12 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

http://img.trekmovie.com/wp-content/...age3_Final.jpg

I forgot to add, this might be creative licence on the artist's part, but I like how Riker's top seems to be a light jacket of sorts with an undershirt in the first panel. I've lamented about the TNG uniforms looking a bit dated because of its colors, but having it be a bit more laid back, with a somewhat loose but standing collar and a relaxed but still fitted cut (definitely less formal and thinner than Picard's jacket) would help balance out the color, I think. Relaxed, but still within regulation. If not that, it would be good for away missions as a field jacket. To compare, Geordi's uniform is much closer to the actual uniform in the same panel.
Old April 12 2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Geordi's top too, to a lesser extent. Could be the same uniforms, just opened a bit at the top.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 02:09 PM   #12
22 Stars
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the heads up, 22 Stars. I had missed this one on TrekMovie.com.
My pleasure, glad to help.

I agree about the Enterprise on the cover, to be honest when i saw it at first glance, it looked more like the underside of the Starbase in ST III.

When I read stories like this, if I don't particularly care for the visual style they are told in, I just picture it as an episode, lord knows we have seen enough TNG to just 'see' it as if they shot it.

That being said, i applaud the artistic efforts and this effort in general.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Geordi's top too, to a lesser extent. Could be the same uniforms, just opened a bit at the top.
Yeah, most likely. Riker's opened collar made me imagine perhaps having a zipper in the front for that looser look. But I like that Riker's open collar goes below the clavicle without evoking a cheesy 70s look.
Old April 18 2012, 12:14 AM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Glad to see it. Not a huge fan of the artwork though.
Old April 18 2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's just an impressionistic way of rendering them, as we've seen in other Trek comics in the past, like that official movie-prequel mini-comic from Wired magazine a few years ago.
Some fans have never recovered from WildStorm's "DS9: n-Vector" mini-series.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote