Am I the only one who loves SGU?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by samalex, Feb 24, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't see why Zipacna's method can't be used in any circumstance.

But regardless, there's enough Ancient and Asgard technology on Earth and on its starships that Goa'uld cloaking technology should effectively be obsolete.

2. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I never said I knew how it works in real-life, assuming it does, but we do know how it works in the show.

It seemed to be used as a critique, I wasn't suggesting it had basis in fact, only offering some perspective. It's no worse than any of the other fictional means of FTL use in sci-fi.

Because at any given time there are hundred, perhaps thousands of aircraft in the air over Earth. The planet Zipacna used the method on was uninhabited.

To my knowledge the amount of Ancient technology is minimal after the chair was destroyed, and we've had no indication that anything we have can detect cloaked ships, ditto Asgard tech. I don't see what the point in arguing that we could detect them is, not when we know via the show that Earth can't, and it's so easy to rationalize why they can't.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. The Wormhole

Well, there is that city-sized starship sitting cloaked outside San Fransisco. Canonically speaking, it should still be there.

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Yeah I forgot about that. Derp. :alienblush:

5. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed SGU. I'll admit that it did seem a bit slow in getting anywhere in the beginning, but I liked it throughout and it started to get really good towards the end. It got points from me for trying to be different. Atlantis tried too hard to be "SG1.... IN SPACE!!!", and while it wasn't a bad show, it just didn't interest me. Loved SG1. I would have probably ranked the shows with SG1 in a huge lead, with SGU and then Atlantis.

6. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks to your avatar, I read "IN SPACE!!!" in O'Neiil's voice.

7. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've just watched the first ep for the first time. Interestingly, back to back with Caprica, SyFy's other tragic failure. Caprica, I had high hopes for, but those hopes died about two thirds into it. SGU, on the other hand, is starting out far better than I though it would.

8. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I spent several years trying to watch SG-1 and never managing to do anything but loathe it. A year ago, my sister in law nagged and bugged me to give it another chance and I forced myself to sit through the entire first two seasons of it... then I stopped watching TV altogether for two months.

Two days ago I watched the first two episodes of SGU on netflix. I was pleased to discover that it was NOT as horrible as SG-1, and it almost makes me forgot how Stargate Atlantis brutally sodomized my eyeballs.

All in all, it is probably the best Stargate spinoff ever produced. In which case, it's probably a good thing the franchise finally died.

9. stonester1

Ok, about halfway into season one. I'm LOVING this show. Another great scifi/fantasy show with so much potential for even more killed before it's time.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That's good, that's when the show really starts to pick up, it has some low points but generally if you can slug through the early half of of season 1 it gets better from there.

11. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I just ordered SGU the second season and can't wait to watch it. I watched on Hulu and they only had a few of season 2

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you enjoyed Season 1, you are in for a treat. I didn't enjoy much of S1, I couldn't find anything to appreciate about any of the characters, but, the second half of Season 2 is almost all great, the characters finally hit their stride, shame it ended just when it had really turned into something great

13. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

No, you're not the only one. Unfortunately there weren't enough of us. But I'm happy to have my SGU DVDs and forget the rest of Stargate (and its fanbase) entirely. Got tiring trying to debate the merits of the show with zealots who were intent on hating it (although much more so on the forums of Television Without Pity than on these forums of Trek BBS).

14. stonester1

Finished with SGU, first run through. I love this franchise, but this series has become my favorite.

By far.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss SGU. Really liked it especially in season 2.

16. stonester1

17. The Wormhole

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked season 2. It rocked. Yeah, it had a few sorry episodes, but some were spectacular. I especially loved the seed ship episodes.

I only wish they'd taken an angle where Elliot and Dr. Rush figure out how to broadcast the drone signals to make Destiny appear as friend, not foe. Or, a means of reprogramming the drones over the air, turning them against the command ship. They could do this anytime they enter a system with drones present, and basically neutralize the threat.

Anyway, the idea of leaping directly to the next galaxy was a good one, with everyone on board in stasis. If we'd gotten to a 3rd season, we'd have seen everyone come out of hibernation to observe the new galaxy and a whole new set of challenges. It was just... getting... started... *sob*....

19. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Personally, I am a big fan too. I was disappointed when the show ended.

20. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i loved the show. but i love all things stargate. my wife loved the show so much, she kept on wanting the next episode until it was so late at night she was almost falling asleep.