The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 9 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Katy Manning

I wish I could post pictures on here but have yet to master the technology (despite my friends' attempts to get me to learn) but anyway-

Who was sad and brokenhearted when you saw The Green Death the first time and realised it was Jo Grant's last story in Dr. Who?
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.
Re: Katy Manning

It didn't really bother me the first time I sawe it, since it was the very first Who episode I'd ever seen.

It didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode in later years, as her deciding to leave was just such an out-of-the-blue thing. But that really was a sad ending. Pertwee did a brilliant job.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I think he did a brilliant job with that ending. Definitely classic.
Old April 9 2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Very sad to see her to go.

Of course, like most people who watched on PBS in America, I saw Tom Baker and Sarahjane first, and then Pertwee came later.

So, it was very sad, after getting to know Jo Grant to see her leaving, but, it was bitersweet, as she was getting married, and the following episodes happened to be brand new (to me) Sarahjane episodes, so that was a cool balance.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 01:33 AM   #5
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I also saw Baker with Sarah Jane first but eventually grew to love Pertwee and Jo Grant. I think she made his exile more bearable during the UNIT years, and he was quite sad to see her go. She was probably like a daughter to him and once she left to marry, he seemed to lose much of his interest in working for UNIT and staying around on Earth once his exile had been lifted.
Old April 10 2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I know there are a few people here who dislike her, and yeah she could be pretty damn stupid sometimes. but she was just so bloody cute. It'd be like hating a puppy.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 10 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old April 10 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

No one in their right mind would hate a puppy. I think Jo proved herself in stories like The Daemons where she is willing to sacrifice herself for the Doctor, and Frontier in Space, where she ably resists the Master's hypnotism.
Old April 10 2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
No one in their right mind would hate a puppy. I think Jo proved herself in stories like The Daemons where she is willing to sacrifice herself for the Doctor, and Frontier in Space, where she ably resists the Master's hypnotism.
Puppy, yea, seeing her in The Sarah Jane Adventures I got a very "Cute Puppy Dog" vibe from her appearance

[Off-topic rant] Speaking of Sarahjane, the Show is called The Sarah Jane Adventures, yet she was consistently telling Rani's Mom (Gita?) that her name was Sarahjane, not Sarah, to me that implies her name is not Sarah Jane, but, rather it is Sarahjane? Inquiring Minds want to know [/rant]

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 07:05 AM   #9
captcalhoun
Admiral

It's Sarah-Jane like someone being called Jim-Bob or Anna-Beth.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I love that there's only one person who's allowed to call her Sarah.
Old April 10 2012, 07:38 PM   #11
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

So for those who were sad to see Jo go in The Green Death, who was psyched to see her return, without warning, in The Sarah Jane Adventures? I was! It was everything I had hoped for, and was a nice reunion tale for her and the Doctor.
Old April 10 2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Starkers
Admiral

I was warned

Personally I've never had anything against Jo, and she was darned cute back in the day, but there are plenty of companions I'd have wanted to see return before her. Pity we never got the suggesed Ace return
Old April 11 2012, 02:33 AM   #13
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I was warned

Personally I've never had anything against Jo, and she was darned cute back in the day, but there are plenty of companions I'd have wanted to see return before her. Pity we never got the suggesed Ace return
Well to be fair, it made sence to get two companions the same age and from roughly the same era with similar memories. So at least they didn't have to spend half the episode warming up to one another (like Sarah and Rose).
Old April 11 2012, 07:01 AM   #14
captcalhoun
Admiral

Sophie's said she would've come back in SJA if asked, but sadly... still, she could come back in the parent show...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Starkers
Admiral

Well apparently RTD was considering it before events beyond anyone's control took over

Good point by the way Cutter...