RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 591
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 3 2012, 11:30 PM   #751
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Well, it looks like Svengoolie is on This TV, which my cable company actually carries. I might actually be able to watch this weekend.

And my graphics tablet has shipped (though my laptop hasn't).
Old April 4 2012, 10:29 AM   #752
Pingfah
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
He's great. He's got an effortless, quirky style and a gentle, yet macabre, sense of humor. Like a few people I've met online (including yourself), he deserves to be doing his thing professionally.
Thanks RJ, that's very nice of you to say so.

This Horror Host thing is something I wish we had more of over here, there's a general lack of late-night horror on free to view TV, especially the Universal Monster type of stuff.

I have a few boxsets of stuff, but it's not the same as just coming across a great old movie late at night.
Old April 4 2012, 09:10 PM   #753
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I mostly do cartoons these days; they're what I have the most fun drawing. One of these days I'll actually get around to putting a comic strip on the Web or something. I mostly do it for fun or to improve.

As for the lines looking like brush strokes, that's thanks to the excellent brush mechanics of Manga Studio. It's the only drawing software I've seen devoted strictly to comics. But because the brushes work so well, I'll use it for basic illustration stuff. I do all of the sketching and linework in that, then color it in Photoshop. (You can color just fine in Manga Studio, I'm just more familiar with doing it in PS.)

That's how I did this one last Friday the 13th. It was my first attempt using that method. I see the errors now, like the holes on his mask in the last panel and the lack of paint on the ground, but hey, I learned a lot while doing it. I might redraw it at some point with a less clunky punchline. "That's NOT how you make spaghetti," etc.)

Good luck with the tablet, RJ. It takes a little time to get used to looking up at the screen while drawing, instead of your hand. After a few hours of practice, it gets a lot easier.

I hope you do finally get Svengoolie on This TV. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it. I think this is the schedule for April:

04/07: Sssssssssss
04/14: Dracula
04/21: Dracula's Daughter
04/28: This Island Earth

It's great that he gets to stay clear of the usual public domain stuff.
Old April 5 2012, 09:42 AM   #754
RJDiogenes

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Thanks RJ, that's very nice of you to say so.
You're welcome. I still have at least one of your MP3s around.

This Horror Host thing is something I wish we had more of over here, there's a general lack of late-night horror on free to view TV, especially the Universal Monster type of stuff.
A few of them are online. I'll dig up some links for you.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I mostly do cartoons these days; they're what I have the most fun drawing. One of these days I'll actually get around to putting a comic strip on the Web or something. I mostly do it for fun or to improve.
Yeah, do your webcomic. Or something for the Nook and Kindle. Or an old-fashioned paperback.

As for the lines looking like brush strokes, that's thanks to the excellent brush mechanics of Manga Studio. It's the only drawing software I've seen devoted strictly to comics. But because the brushes work so well, I'll use it for basic illustration stuff. I do all of the sketching and linework in that, then color it in Photoshop. (You can color just fine in Manga Studio, I'm just more familiar with doing it in PS.)
Hmm. I'll have to look at that site in depth. They also have some animation stuff. They apparently own Poser now, and Poser looks a lot more advanced than the last version I bought.

That's how I did this one last Friday the 13th. It was my first attempt using that method. I see the errors now, like the holes on his mask in the last panel and the lack of paint on the ground, but hey, I learned a lot while doing it. I might redraw it at some point with a less clunky punchline. "That's NOT how you make spaghetti," etc.)
"This is why we can't have nice things."

Good luck with the tablet, RJ. It takes a little time to get used to looking up at the screen while drawing, instead of your hand. After a few hours of practice, it gets a lot easier.
I'm going to have to wait for my new laptop to come. There's software that needs to be installed and the drive is broken on this computer.

I hope you do finally get Svengoolie on This TV. I have no doubt you'll enjoy it.
Now I'm not sure. The Wiki page implied that he would be on This-TV, but I don't see him on the schedule. Of course, he may be on a different night and time. I'll have to look further....
Old April 5 2012, 11:25 PM   #755
RJDiogenes

Well, I've got a link to one online Horror Host. I'll continue to search.

And here is a nice database of existing Horror Hosts. Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers, by the way, is produced near where I live, down in East Bridgewater. My Mother works for the cable company where the show is done, but she hasn't had a chance to work with Penny yet.
Old April 6 2012, 09:31 AM   #756
RJDiogenes

And I forgot to mention, yesterday while checking out This TV I taped Attack Of The Puppet People and Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, which I hope to be able to watch over the weekend.
Old April 7 2012, 01:26 AM   #757
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I got a couple of recommendations from the Horror Etc. podcast on what to watch tonight. One of the guys is always raving about Session 9 and The Changeling. I think Session 9 is absolutely terrible so far. It's something about David Caruso and an insane asylum and it's not making a lot of sense, really.
Old April 7 2012, 10:08 AM   #758
RJDiogenes

I don't think I've heard of either one of those.
Old April 7 2012, 11:53 AM   #759
Pingfah
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Well, I've got a link to one online Horror Host. I'll continue to search.
Hey thanks RJ. I quite liked the guy, if you haven't checked out his double feature then I suggest you do, it was really quite good. The first movie is a 15 minute version of Christine played for laughs and made for $500. It's really pretty good, some genuinely funny moments, and amateur but quite well made.

I'd take his claims that it is better than the original with a pinch of salt, but well worth 15 minutes of your time. I'm going to save the second one for later as it looks good too.

I've got Session 9 on DVD, it was a blind buy for £3, it was vaguely unsettling, and also confusing at times, but with a decent payoff. Watch it, but try not to pay for it...
Old April 7 2012, 06:21 PM   #760
RJDiogenes

I like that guy, too. I used to watch him on a pretty regular basis a couple of years ago. I should remember to check in with him when I get a chance.

So it looks like no Svengoolie on Real TV, but they do have some pretty good stuff. They show the original Outer Limits (not Horror, but it does have monsters ). I've got the series on DVD, but it's nice to know that somebody is sowing it.
Old April 8 2012, 11:38 PM   #761
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Not to get too far off-topic, but I just saw this tutorial for getting started with a tablet. The whole site is great, but that post's an excellent starting point.

Speaking of Horror, Etc., do you guys listen to any other horror podcasts? I've listened to a few different ones, but I'm looking for one I'll really like.
Old April 9 2012, 12:18 AM   #762
Shanndee
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I got a couple of recommendations from the Horror Etc. podcast on what to watch tonight. One of the guys is always raving about Session 9 and The Changeling. I think Session 9 is absolutely terrible so far. It's something about David Caruso and an insane asylum and it's not making a lot of sense, really.
Ugh, Session 9 was horrible. I saw the Changeling (the one with George C. Scott) 20 odd years ago with 2 friends. We watched it on a black and white TV in the middle of the afternoon...and we were creeped out for weeks. I saw it again a few years ago and was disappointed to find it slow and not at all scary...but I think I have become very desensitized to horror over the years!
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 02:22 AM   #763
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

When my local Blockbuster went belly up I spent a couple of bones and on a whim picked up Fragile with Calista Flockhart. I thought it was pretty decent for a haunted hospital type movie. It has a lot of atmosphere and there seems to have been more effort expended than many films of this ilk.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 09:53 AM   #764
RJDiogenes

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Not to get too far off-topic, but I just saw this tutorial for getting started with a tablet. The whole site is great, but that post's an excellent starting point.
Thanks. That looks very helpful. I haven't had a chance to practice much, since it took a while to get the laptop set up to my satisfaction.

Speaking of Horror, Etc., do you guys listen to any other horror podcasts? I've listened to a few different ones, but I'm looking for one I'll really like.
Actually, I don't know of any. The only podcasts I've listened to are Chris Mihm's and that's probably not the type of thing you're looking for.
Old June 6 2012, 08:08 AM   #765
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Just a heads-up, there's a pretty good mini-marathon of 1930s horror on TCM Wednesday. It starts with Frankenstein at 3am (PDT). Lots of good stuff, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Freaks, Murders In the Rue Morgue, Island of Lost Souls, ending with Laughton's version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.