Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 8 2012, 03:05 AM   #31
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

I have always liked the black uniform. I remember when they first introduced them, I couldn't wait to get the black cap.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Lovely tribute to Gary Carter before the Met game today. Surprised that they didn't formally retire his number, but they've already effectively done it - #8 has never been issued since his time - so I guess that's enough. (Plus they may be saving it for when they retire #31.)

And am I the only one who actually liked the black Met uniforms?

Oh well. At least they won Opening Day, again.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 03:09 AM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think the Mets look good with black. Not every team can pull it off, but it works for them.
Old April 8 2012, 03:20 AM   #33
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I have always liked the black Mets gear. I wish I could get the black cap in an 8 1/2, but the cap company doesn't sell it in that size. I could only get the blue one. Which isn't bad, I'd just like to have a cap that matches my black jacket.

The one Mets uni I don't like is the off-white with pinstripes. I shouldn't say that, I know it's traditional, I just like the pure black and pure white ones.

Timby wrote: View Post
Believe it or not, not everyone watches Mets games, so the vast majority of people have no clue what you're talking about.
Eh? I know that there aren't a lot of Mets fans here, but surely most people who follow baseball have at least a passing familiarity with Gary Carter? Both from the '86 team, and also especially since his death has been in the sports news lately.

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; April 8 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 03:32 AM   #34
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Gary was one of those "Cub killers". Always scratching out a hit to win the game and breaking our hearts in the process.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 03:05 PM   #35
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I have always liked the black Mets gear. I wish I could get the black cap in an 8 1/2, but the cap company doesn't sell it in that size. I could only get the blue one. Which isn't bad, I'd just like to have a cap that matches my black jacket.

The one Mets uni I don't like is the off-white with pinstripes. I shouldn't say that, I know it's traditional, I just like the pure black and pure white ones.

Believe it or not, not everyone watches Mets games, so the vast majority of people have no clue what you're talking about.
Eh? I know that there aren't a lot of Mets fans here, but surely most people who follow baseball have at least a passing familiarity with Gary Carter? Both from the '86 team, and also especially since his death has been in the sports news lately.
I wasn't saying Gary Carter was an unknown (absolutely not ), I was pointing out that you talking about a "lovely tribute" without actually saying what that tribute was made it a somewhat meaningless statement in context.

^ And the Cubs have picked right up....with poor relief pitching.
I basically spent the entire offseason making sure I had nonexistent expectations for the team this year, so my blood pressure is still under control.

Fun fact of the day: Chone Figgins currently has the highest OPS on the Mariners.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

And last night's Rockies game showed the Rox that I know and love. Way to be inneffective guys. Oh yeah, a 49 year old as your #2 pitcher is brilliant.
Not a knock against Jamie Moyer, he seems like a decent guy, and had a pretty good spring, but he's old enough the be the Dad of some of the other guys in the rotation. Maybe coaching would be a better idea.
Old April 8 2012, 04:28 PM   #37
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Pinstripes and blue hats are the best in my book. I wish they'd have a blue alt instead of black, sorta like their BP jerseys.

I have the black cap with blue brim with the 2000 World series logo on it. It was what they had in the store when I went to get it.

I grew up on the pinstripes, so the black always seemed odd. I don't miss the 1980s pullovers with the racing stripes though.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 07:50 PM   #38
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I totally agree with you, I would love an alternate blue jersey as well.

SmoothieX wrote: View Post

Pinstripes and blue hats are the best in my book. I wish they'd have a blue alt instead of black, sorta like their BP jerseys.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 08:09 PM   #39
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mother of God. I don't expect the Cubs to win games this season, but I was hoping that Sveum would actually break them of their habit of swinging at the first fucking pitch of every goddamned at-bat. Motherfuck. I hope Theo gives a $2 million bonus to the first Cub to get 50 BBs this season.

Edit: Jesus goddamn Christ. Zimmerman threw 48 pitches in his first five innings against the Cubs. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Last edited by Timby; April 8 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 11:44 PM   #40
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ They managed to hold onto the lead today.

I've been waiting for Smardzija to be in the rotation since they drafted him. He did great today except for those unearned runs.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 12:41 AM   #41
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

So the Giants open the season being swept and had a game they SHOULD HAVE WON but choked it away. New year, same team. I already feel bad for the pitchers.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 03:37 AM   #42
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

And the Mets swept the Braves. That woulda been nice a decade ago.
Old April 9 2012, 05:50 PM   #43
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

And the Twins get swept by Baltimore. Hard to stay optimistic after that start.

I'm thinking in fantasy baseball my new strategy should be to pick up all the Twins' opposing pitchers that are available each week.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2012, 09:42 PM   #44
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

My Red Sox are not starting well I hope they get better fast
Old April 9 2012, 10:02 PM   #45
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

This is the best start I could have hoped for them. I love how they're still riding last September's momentum without skipping a beat.