Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 8 2012, 12:51 AM   #31
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I had to stop by Wal-Mart for something, and lo and behold, there has been a restock! The bad news is, I was too late for Luke and Leia. The good news is that I scored Lando and the Mon Calamari, though.
Old April 8 2012, 01:09 AM   #32
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

You have Iron Man holding an American flag. Not sure if you are serious.

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Actually, it was announced that Hasbro got the license to make toys for TREK 2013. I'm glad. Hasbro has proven much more commercially competent and successful than Playmates and others who have tackled the TREK action figure lines in the past...and with all due respect to some of those other companies, they weren't able to make most of their figures and dolls look like the actors and characters. Some of them quite frankly sucked the chrome off a trailer hitch and were kind of embarrassing.
Hasbro is good with poseability and making toys. They are just terrible in regards to actual distribution or actually releasing the product.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 01:20 AM   #33
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Remember you promised me army photos cooleddie?

Also all my weapons have become separated from my 70's figures and I might post them some time with the figures for help.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 01:21 AM   #34
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Not sure if I'm serious about what? That's the Sideshow Collectibles Classic Iron Man Comicquette. The design of the statue is him holding an American flag.
Old April 8 2012, 01:22 AM   #35
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I'm waiting for the Classic Pinkie Pie holding an Equestrian flag statue.
Old April 8 2012, 01:29 AM   #36
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
Remember you promised me army photos cooleddie?
I know...I know.

But it takes a lot of work to pose ALL of those army builders for photos. I just haven't had enough time, but I'll see what I can do about it.

I'll do it if I can. For you. Because you're so effervescent, witty and lovely.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 01:31 AM   #37
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Actually, it was announced that Hasbro got the license to make toys for TREK 2013. I'm glad. Hasbro has proven much more commercially competent and successful than Playmates and others who have tackled the TREK action figure lines in the past...and with all due respect to some of those other companies, they weren't able to make most of their figures and dolls look like the actors and characters. Some of them quite frankly sucked the chrome off a trailer hitch and were kind of embarrassing.
Hasbro is good with poseability and making toys. They are just terrible in regards to actual distribution or actually releasing the product.
Can't argue with that. I've been collecting STAR WARS long enough to know that when Hasbro says a new wave of figures or vehicles is going to be on store shelves you need to add about, oh, one to three months to that estimation...and even then you'll be lucky if your local stores order more than a handful of cases.

Old April 8 2012, 01:33 AM   #38
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Not sure if I'm serious about what? That's the Sideshow Collectibles Classic Iron Man Comicquette. The design of the statue is him holding an American flag.
Have you read Marvel: Civil War?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 01:38 AM   #39
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Have you read Marvel: Civil War?
Yeah, and this is classic Iron Man.
Old April 8 2012, 01:51 AM   #40
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I had to stop by Wal-Mart for something, and lo and behold, there has been a restock! The bad news is, I was too late for Luke and Leia. The good news is that I scored Lando and the Mon Calamari, though.
That's the story most people seem to have when it comes to the Deleted Scenes wave. They'll find two or even three of them. Four if their timing is really good. But all five? It's a rarity to say the least. Luke(Lightsaber Construction) is easily the most popular figure in the entire wave and seems to be the very first one to fly off the pegs. Quite a few of my friends on collector websites and message boards have had to resort to eBay or ordering entire case assortments online just to get him.

Old April 8 2012, 02:05 AM   #41
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Oh well, I'll get them one way or another.

The Mon Calamari pilot is really cool. Probably one my favorite figures in a while. Lando looks to be the same torso and head as the SAGA skiff guard figure, but different arms and legs. Also, he's loaded with accessories. Not bad for a figure that never actually appeared in the film.
Old April 8 2012, 02:14 AM   #42
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

The only one of the five Deleted Scenes figures that sort of disapppoints is Colonel Cracken, because while he's very well sculpted and has a very detailed and nice head and face he quite honestly doesn't look all that much like the background actor in the movie. He actually looks more like TOS-era DeForest Kelley than he does Colonel Airen Cracken from JEDI. He's a great Rebel officer to be sure...one of the best. He's new except for the legs, which come from the 2009 Legacy Collection Major Panno, but that giant honking brown-colored cannon accessory that comes with him is so out of place and has no painted highlights or details whatsoever. It's like Hasbro took a G.I. JOE weapon and slapped it in the bubble with a STAR WARS figure.

Old April 8 2012, 02:17 AM   #43
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I saw him at the store, but just couldn't bring myself to buy him. There's nothing visually interesting about him whatsoever and I have no attachment to the character, since he didn't even appear in the films. The Mon Calamari at least has the fact that he's a cool looking alien pilot going for him.

Also, it looks like I'm wrong about Lando. I dug up the old skiff guard figure and it confirms that Lando is completely new. Refreshing.

Last edited by OdoWanKenobi; April 8 2012 at 02:29 AM.
OdoWanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2012, 03:01 AM   #44
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Can't argue with that. I've been collecting STAR WARS long enough to know that when Hasbro says a new wave of figures or vehicles is going to be on store shelves you need to add about, oh, one to three months to that estimation...and even then you'll be lucky if your local stores order more than a handful of cases.
Sometimes it's that your local stores will sit on a new shipment (or won't order one) until they sell what they've currently got in stock. They tend to make exceptions for stuff tied-in to upcoming movies because if the movie's a flop, they'll sell more before the film's released than afterward, IMO.

I also think you don't stand a chance if someone who works at the store is a toy collector, since they probably get the first crack at them and knows which sought-after figures to go after.
Old April 8 2012, 03:05 AM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I wanted to get Wicket from the vintage line but every store around is stuffed to the gills with TPM figures.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote